How to calculate your night rate on Airbnb?

How to calculate your night rate on Airbnb?

Lake Orion Michigan · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 14 votes

Hello everyone,

I recently started an Airbnb on February of this year, I have a 2000 mortgage payment and I am not sure how to calculate the amount that I should be charging per night. This Airbnb is located in Royal Oak Michigan, which is a really central location to the Detroit City Area, which is why I believe is a good location. From what I have noticed this last couple of months is that the place is usually only rented on weekends. I would like to ask to you guys, what are the factors that you consider when calculating your nightly rate?

Below is a link to my Airbnb, if you could give me some feedback on what you think of the listing it would also be much appreciated

Airbnb Link

Thank you!!!

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Caleb Brown:

I would look on Airbnb and see what others are asking. You could also invest in AirDNA to get an idea of how others are performing(each property does vary so it's a rough estimate). Regarding your listing the first thing that stands out is photos. Hire professionals, it is the very first impression when potential guests are looking. It's a cute house. I would also see about getting it staged better. On the backyard(not urgent) you could add a gazebo and dress it up. Add a firepit and some things guests could do to hang outside. On your description are you able to highlight nearby amenities and fun things to do? 


 As Caleb said, check your competition.

Vrbo has really goof built in Analytic tools to show the competition.

Your mortgage payment has nothing to do with what should be charged.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I would look on Airbnb and see what others are asking. You could also invest in AirDNA to get an idea of how others are performing(each property does vary so it's a rough estimate). Regarding your listing the first thing that stands out is photos. Hire professionals, it is the very first impression when potential guests are looking. It's a cute house. I would also see about getting it staged better. On the backyard(not urgent) you could add a gazebo and dress it up. Add a firepit and some things guests could do to hang outside. On your description are you able to highlight nearby amenities and fun things to do? 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caleb Brown:

    I would look on Airbnb and see what others are asking. You could also invest in AirDNA to get an idea of how others are performing(each property does vary so it's a rough estimate). Regarding your listing the first thing that stands out is photos. Hire professionals, it is the very first impression when potential guests are looking. It's a cute house. I would also see about getting it staged better. On the backyard(not urgent) you could add a gazebo and dress it up. Add a firepit and some things guests could do to hang outside. On your description are you able to highlight nearby amenities and fun things to do? 


     As Caleb said, check your competition.

    Vrbo has really goof built in Analytic tools to show the competition.

    Your mortgage payment has nothing to do with what should be charged.

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    For the nightly rate you should follow what @Caleb Brown suggested. Look at comps and price accordingly.

    Also I agree with his comments on the listing. Sorry to be harsh but you need to hear this - Your photos are awful. 

    You should have an interior designer, a property manager, or a realtor help you clean up and spruce the place up to make it as photogenic as possible.

    Then hire a professional real estate photographer to take ~15 photos for your listing. It might cost you $300+ but it will be money well spent.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    To find the average daily rate for your property Airdna has a free rentalizer you can use and there is also Rabbu.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Luis Ramirez, yeah those pics are pretty bad. Also, the bedroom look like a dormitory at a reform school. You need a bunch more art and color on those walls.

    Are you only on AirBNB? If so, then you need to get listed on VRBO as soon as possible. Why give up an avenue for guests to stay?

  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    @Luis Ramirez Congrats on getting started! It looks like you've already made superhost! That shows you understand the hospitality side, which is super important.
    As others have said, the cost of the mortgage isn't relevant to what you should be charging. If you're not familiar with the enemy/neighbor method, Google that and see what comps are going for.
    I agree that the photos could use some updating, especially the one with the cords hanging down the wall. Google cordmate/wire hider/cable cover and hide those! It almost looks like an extension cord, if it is that may be a code violation. (Read lawsuit waiting to happen, if it is power). If it's ethernet/phone/whatever, cover it. 

    Just my opinions. Best to you in your endeavors!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I use AirDNA as a baseline then look at comparable nearby properties.  There is seasonality to be considered if you just go off of AirDNA or a similar tool.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.