Anyone had an increase in occupancy and revenue by adding a full bath?

Anyone had an increase in occupancy and revenue by adding a full bath?

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

About 3 months in with my 2/1 in Greenville SC. Occupancy and revenue has been pretty good but could be better. I realize that time on market is a factor here as I build reviews (11*5 stars), and I should qualify for superhost in July. In general I am happy with the performance and I am profitable. 

That said, there is a house around the corner that is on a less desirable street, no W/D, and not pet friendly that is booked 90%+. The rates, interior furnishing and rebab quality is similar. If anything, my place has more comfortable furnishings, a better kitchen and more character. Aside from superhost status and more reviews, the only strong differentiator of the other house itself is an extra full bath, whereas I have only 1 bath total and you have to walk through the whole house if you are in the other bedroom. 

I do have existing footprint space (roofline covered front patio) where I could add an extra full bath with minimal disruption and an excellent contractor who thinks he can do it for <$10k. Plus with bonus depreciation and the ability to force appreciation and cash out refi I am not concerned about the cost, and I could do the work during the slower winter months. 

Has anyone added a bathroom and seen it make that big of a difference? Thanks in advance!

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
3y

@Jon Martin You indicated you're not really pursuing, or at least not getting many, families staying with you. There's five of us in my family and we won't even look at an STR without two bathrooms. If one only has a single bathroom, we're likely going with a hotel for the price point or we'll find a different STR. IMHO the extra bathroom is worth the trouble, especially with all the secondary reasons you mentioned.
I realize that I'm not likely in the demographic you're aiming for, but hope this is still helpful. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    About 3 months in with my 2/1 in Greenville SC. Occupancy and revenue has been pretty good but could be better. I realize that time on market is a factor here as I build reviews (11*5 stars), and I should qualify for superhost in July. In general I am happy with the performance and I am profitable. 

    That said, there is a house around here the corner that is on a less desirable street, no W/D, and not pet friendly that is booked 90%+. The rates, interior furnishing and rebab quality is similar. If anything, my place has more comfortable furnishings, a better kitchen and more character. Aside from superhost status and more reviews, the only strong differentiator of the other house itself is an extra full bath, whereas I have only 1 bath total and you have to walk through the whole house if you are in the other bedroom. 

    I do have existing footprint space (roofline covered front patio) where I could add an extra full bath with minimal disruption and an excellent contractor who thinks he can do it for <$10k. Plus with bonus depreciation and the ability to force appreciation and cash out refi I am not concerned about the cost, and I could do the work during the slower winter months. 

    Has anyone added a bathroom and seen it make that big of a difference? Thanks in advance!

     
    my 4 bed with bonus room only has 2 bathrooms and sleeps 8-12. I’ve never had a guest have an issue with only 2 bathrooms, and I don’t have an open day all summer through early august. I have a 1 bed with a loft sleeps 4 with 1 small bathroom 1000 square feet. I kind of view bathrooms as wasted square foot given the cost they are to put in from a rental perspective. Much bigger roi expanding and adding amenities in my opinion. Maybe a hot tub or arcade game (unless you already have them)

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks @John Carbone but I don't think that my place fits the avatar of what you mentioned above where I would agree that 1 bathroom is less of an issue. I get mostly millennial and gen-x'ers, often traveling in pairs of couples, and very few kids. Plus I am not in a true "vacation" destination, and there's no room for an arcade anyway. I seem to get a lot of business travelers and people coming for concerts or weekend partying. I could see whoever is in the other bedroom (which is actually larger and has a fireplace; 40s construction lol) not being excited about trekking through the living room, kitchen and laundry room every time they need the bathroom. I am very clear about this in the listing and provide bathrobes, but this could be turning some potential guests away. 

    My thinking is that the 2nd bathroom would make it appealing to pairs of singles/couples who would each have their own master suite. Would also allow for a stronger MTR pivot or low-season strategy with the medical facilities (1 mile to a trauma level 2, 2.5 to a level 1), universities, and corporate headquarters in the area. Whether it would result in a noticeable revenue and occupancy is the mystery. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Jon Martin, I believe for the 10k it would be a worthwhile investment for both your nightly rate and for equity and resale.

    Let's say you get 2 couples. Each couple could have their own bathroom and that would be a big deal.

    Have you checked other comps besides the one near yours? Check all the 2/2's and see what their nightly rates, but seeing as you have one close by that is a 2/2 that is doing better than yours, I think you have your answer.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks @Michael Baum yes I keep a close eye on nearby comps but given the transitional nature of the area there is a lot of variability and noise between them so it's hard to see a clear pattern. Some are on streets a few blocks over where flips and new construction are on otherwise rough looking streets, and this is reflected in some of their reviews (including the comp I mentioned), whereas 1-2 blocks in the other direction and you are in fully gentrified hipster land.  I'm in between in the DMZ lol. 

    Part of me is wondering if the other place having more reviews and superhost status is helping them stay occupied more so maybe they are simply 3-6 months ahead of me progress wise. That said, with all other things being equal I agree with your last sentence and it would obviously be a better experience for more guests. 

    Will see how my occupancy pans out through summer, but June is at 60% overall and has been booked solid through the 19th so things are looking good! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    1 bathrooms perform a lot lower. It happens here in the Smoky Mountains also. 

  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    1 bathrooms perform a lot lower. It happens here in the Smoky Mountains also. 


     I must be getting really lucky on mine. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Carbone:
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    1 bathrooms perform a lot lower. It happens here in the Smoky Mountains also. 


     I must be getting really lucky on mine. 

    It could be a lot of factors. Location, overall quality, amenities, etc. 
  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    @Jon Martin You indicated you're not really pursuing, or at least not getting many, families staying with you. There's five of us in my family and we won't even look at an STR without two bathrooms. If one only has a single bathroom, we're likely going with a hotel for the price point or we'll find a different STR. IMHO the extra bathroom is worth the trouble, especially with all the secondary reasons you mentioned.
    I realize that I'm not likely in the demographic you're aiming for, but hope this is still helpful. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard Elvin:

    @Jon Martin You indicated you're not really pursuing, or at least not getting many, families staying with you. There's five of us in my family and we won't even look at an STR without two bathrooms. If one only has a single bathroom, we're likely going with a hotel for the price point or we'll find a different STR. IMHO the extra bathroom is worth the trouble, especially with all the secondary reasons you mentioned.
    I realize that I'm not likely in the demographic you're aiming for, but hope this is still helpful. 

    @Richard Elvin that absolutely is helpful and a good way to look at it. You only know who you are attracting, but it's tougher to know who is being turned away. At some point I will probably send a pack n play, booster seat, and some other baby items out there whether I make this change or not, which I most likely will, it's more of a matter of when. 

    Even getting more pairs of couples or non-partner travelers would be a win. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Jon Martin, Pack-N-Play has been a big win for us. It saves space in the car when they don't have to bring one.

    Adding things like a chair mounted high chair (which I think you mean booster seat), little step stools in the bathroom cabinets and we actually have a Diaper Genie as well.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    One thing to keep in mind is the missed bookings you may have from a 1 bath unit. While it may be true that others with one bedroom units or larger homes that say are 5 or 6 bed/2bath so the ration of bedrooms to bathrooms is not very high, aren't getting complaints from the people who book them. But how many people are NOT booking them for that very reason? I find this is always a controversial topic, much like whether you should put a King bed in a room if you have the space vs a queen. Those who are on Team Queen Bed will insist it's not hurting them. Those like myself who are on Team King Bed know that there are people who will not book a unit that doesn't have at least one King bed. How do I know this? Because, as a guest, I'm one of those people. I think the extra bathroom thing is the same way. Even when it's just myself and my husband traveling we always look for 2 bathrooms. Would I stay in a 1 bathroom and then complain it only had 1 bathroom? No. I just wouldn't book it in the first place. If you can get a bathroom done for that cost in your slow season and you have the space, run the numbers and see if you think the ROI justifies it. It will always make your resale value higher, as well.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I agree that $10k is a worthwhile investment. If you capture 6 more reservations per year with an average of a 4 night stay is 24 nights and even at $150 per night average as a guess you are at $3600 per year or a 36% ROI. Not to mention your increasing property value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.