Do you ask for a 5 star review?

Do you ask for a 5 star review?

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Curious to hear how you all approach this. I already send a pre check out email thanking tie for the stay. Should I go ahead and ask them to leave a 5 star review and is there a way to do tie without sounding presumptuous? Thanks in advance. 

3Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 103 votes
3y

100% you should ask each guest after checkout. Here’s my template it works like a charm:


Thank you for staying with us at <property_name> <guest_name>! I left a 5-star review in your inbox and hope you will do the same for me. Every 5-star review helps our family business excel. If you had any issues please let me know privately so we can work on it. Also, please favorite my listing as I'd love to host you again next time!

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Here is what we use, but curious to hear others/feedback:


    Hi ∕guest first name∕-

    Thank you for being a great guest and staying with us. If you had a good stay, we would greatly appreciate if you provided us with a 5-star review.

    Your positive feedback helps us improve and assists other potential guests to make an informed decision in booking. Your review means a lot to us and we would be thankful for your support.

    Hope you’ll stay with us again!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I absolutely do. I send them the check out instructions and I say please leave us a 5 star review when you get a chance.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    100% you should ask each guest after checkout. Here’s my template it works like a charm:


    Thank you for staying with us at <property_name> <guest_name>! I left a 5-star review in your inbox and hope you will do the same for me. Every 5-star review helps our family business excel. If you had any issues please let me know privately so we can work on it. Also, please favorite my listing as I'd love to host you again next time!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I say if there is anything to prevent you from leaving a 5-star review please contact me first to see if there is something I can fix.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I don't. I always thought that your product should speak for itself.....  But I think people should.....never hurts to ask, right?

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    3y

    Here is what I say after the guest checks out. It not only gets me 5 stars, it also elicits GREAT suggestions:

    "[guest name],

    Thanks! Safe travels and hope to host your next trip to Cambridge.

    Don't forget to leave us a review on Airbnb!

    Also, we strive for a five star experience. Is there any feedback/ suggestions or items to improve the home for the next guest stay?

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Most definitely ask! Some people actually leave a little magnet (photo below) on their fridge outlining what qualifies for a 1-5 star review. 

  • Investor · Placitas, NM · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 61 votes
    3y

    I have never asked for a 5 star review and have never received lower than 5 stars.  I suppose it will happen eventually, but after 50 bookings, so far so good.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    3y

    absolutely! If you don't ask for it, you don't get it!! I ask for it at the beginning of the stay. I literally tell them they should expect a 5 star stay and if they don't feel its a 5 star review worthy to let me know asap. This sets the stage for expectations right off the bat! 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    I asked my family for a 5 star review on me and what I could differently...and it did not work out well...

  • Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2021 · 165 posts · 137 votes
    3y

    Asking for a 5 star review makes me want to leave a 3 star review

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2021 · 254 posts · 173 votes
    3y

    I say "anything less than 5 stars is a failure" 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 53 votes
    3y

    @Jon Martin always ask for the 5 ⭐️ review. Always!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 103 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Maksu Ize:

    Asking for a 5 star review makes me want to leave a 3 star review

    Don’t stay at my properties please 🙏 
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    We do ask at checkout and a reminder 3 days after (automated).  It has helped since we began implementing it 2 years ago

  • Lender · CO CA TX WA ID OR · Member since 2020 · 419 posts · 542 votes
    3y

    @Jon Martin

    Yes

  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    I think it’s tacky to specify how they need to rate you, that would be off putting to me as a guest.


    I do think it’s wise to say you strive for 5 stars, you would love for a review to help your business, and to let you know of any improvement opportunities privately

  • Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    Curious to hear how you all approach this. I already send a pre check out email thanking tie for the stay. Should I go ahead and ask them to leave a 5 star review and is there a way to do tie without sounding presumptuous? Thanks in advance. 


     Yes, you should constantly ask for the review. I usually mention how grateful I am that they contribute positively to the success of my business. (Assume the sale!)

  • Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Barch:

    I think it’s tacky to specify how they need to rate you, that would be off putting to me as a guest.


    I do think it’s wise to say you strive for 5 stars, you would love for a review to help your business, and to let you know of any improvement opportunities privately

    It all depends on the approach- something like "We strive for 5 star quality, so please leave us a review if you enjoyed your stay!" is a lot less aggressive than "Please leave us a 5 star review."
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    I asked my family for a 5 star review on me and what I could differently...and it did not work out well...

    haha! When my wife complains about something I cook (she grew up with maids so it's ingrained in her from seeing her parents deal with them) I tell her to leave a Yelp review.
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Thank you all for the suggestions! I've added similar wording to what many of you recommended above into the day-before-check-out auto message and the post-check-in follow up message. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2017 · 129 posts · 107 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    Curious to hear how you all approach this. I already send a pre check out email thanking tie for the stay. Should I go ahead and ask them to leave a 5 star review and is there a way to do tie without sounding presumptuous? Thanks in advance. 


    I initially let them know that my goal is to receive a 5 star review during my first message to them right after they book. Then I ask for a 5 star review as a part of my check out message to them the day before they leave. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brighton, MI · Member since 2013 · 607 posts · 251 votes
    3y

    We've been running STR for years. What we find works best is to personally give them a call when they check in (unless we've spoken to them prior to that) and then check-in with them briefly via SMS or phone call halfway during their stay. Guests really respond well to that and it shows in their reviews of our units. Not every guest will consistently provide a 5-star review, even when they say they had a wonderful time. Some people just won't do it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Yes! I was always asked for the review 24 hours after the guest checkout. This is just a reminder message for guests to review their stay. Putting myself in the guest's shoes, I not thinking about the review when checking out and traveling home (if it was a great stay)...I'm thinking of getting gas and grabbing food before hitting the road.

    This is part of my script when asking for a review the next day:

    "I would really appreciate it if you take 2 minutes to leave me a review on Airbnb about your stay. If you have any feedback or recommendations, either positive or negative, please send me a message so I can make all my future guest's stays as enjoyable as possible. "

    I've gotten recommendations like switching to sponges instead of dishcloths and more. Hopes that helps!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    So we had some guests last month that were very critical of things in our house. They had a great time and loved the house overall, but she did pick apart a bunch of things.

    The wall clock in the master was too loud, there was soap scum on the inner overflow drain holes on the sinks, the king bed squeaked, the door to the master was sticking, there was no electric griddle...

    Actually I really appreciated the feedback and was able to correct most of her critiques. The door still sticks as it only swells up for a short period of time and I didn't have my electric planer handy.

    I asked them not to leave a review if they didn't feel it was a 5 star stay and I have kept them posted on my fixes. I left them a 5 star review. Time has passed and no review so that is OK.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.