I'm interested your recommendations for a wifi door lock. Is there a certain one you really like for STRs, and what do you like about it? Thank you!!
Things like this sound good on the surface but they come with a lot of potential problems. What happens if WiFi shuts down? Tenant can't get the app to work? Doesn't understand technology or have a smart phone? Do you know how easy it is to hack a WiFi lock?
Manually picking a lock takes special tools and practice. Hacking a "smart" lock takes a mobile device (everyone has one) and a little time on the internet. I prefer sticking to "stupid" electronic locks.
I'm interested your recommendations for a wifi door lock. Is there a certain one you really like for STRs, and what do you like about it? Thank you!!
Things like this sound good on the surface but they come with a lot of potential problems. What happens if WiFi shuts down? Tenant can't get the app to work? Doesn't understand technology or have a smart phone? Do you know how easy it is to hack a WiFi lock?
Manually picking a lock takes special tools and practice. Hacking a "smart" lock takes a mobile device (everyone has one) and a little time on the internet. I prefer sticking to "stupid" electronic locks.
I still use a lockbox at one property. It has never failed and never needs new batteries.
I'm interested your recommendations for a wifi door lock. Is there a certain one you really like for STRs, and what do you like about it? Thank you!!
Things like this sound good on the surface but they come with a lot of potential problems. What happens if WiFi shuts down? Tenant can't get the app to work? Doesn't understand technology or have a smart phone? Do you know how easy it is to hack a WiFi lock?
Manually picking a lock takes special tools and practice. Hacking a "smart" lock takes a mobile device (everyone has one) and a little time on the internet. I prefer sticking to "stupid" electronic locks.
I understand where you are coming from, but they save on all kinds of time. I have a lockbox with keys as a backup in case something happens which you still need if you have a stupid electronic lock too. I mean the only time I have to use the lockbox is if the batteries didn't get changed out on schedule and that is true with the stupid electronic locks too. Been running smart locks for over 5 years on multiple STRs and rarely do I have to have a guest use the lockbox.
As far as someone hacking in to the door lock - not worried. It still takes someone with knowledge to do it. It takes someone with no knowledge to bust the window if they wanted to get in and there are far more of those people to be worried about. Just not worried about someone hacking my smart lock.
Again, there is no right or wrong here just what each person is comfortable with.
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
I was using Nest in my beach side Florida market, but we had them fail rather quickly. Tech said the humidity plus heat and cool cycle did them no favors. He recommended the Schlage.
Rental Property Investor · Central NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 21 votes
3y
We use a Schlage Encode deadbolt with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. I also use dielectric grease on the battery connections to prevent corrosion. We have a lockbox with a key for backup in case the electrical part malfunctions.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
We also use the Schlage Encode but I have encountered Yale and Eufy ones that work as well. Schlage works best with automations softwares for larger operations but if it is only 1 or a few doors you can probably use any leading brand.
Financial Advisor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 190 posts · 143 votes
3y
Stay away from the Ultraloq, I started with this one on my STR because it was all I could find during covid. The instant I left the property, it would not work and customer service was horrible. I now have it on my home residence & it eats batteries monthly.
Schlage encode continues to be the most common answer for the "best". Keep a few notes of wisdom... Program 5-10 extra codes in. That way if it's every buggy & unresponsive (which absolutely will happen), you have emergency options. If you give these codes out in an emergency, just delete them after use & replace with a new code. Do not let the locks get wet, they will fail. Lookup the FAQ on the Schlage website on batteries. ONLY use premium alkaline (whatever they recommend on the site) for batteries.
Rental Property Investor · Central NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 21 votes
3y
@Daniel Murphy you are 100% correct on the batteries recommended are not lithium. We swapped out to lithium over a year ago and see much better battery life. Additionally we have not had any issues. I hope I didn’t jinx us saying that.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
We also use the Schlage Encode. We also have a bunch of codes preset just in case.
In the 6 years of operating our lake house we have never had a guest not be able to get in.
Even if the WiFi is down, the codes still work. Even if the power is out the codes still work.
The issue would be adding or deleting codes. The internet will eventually come back up. We are pretty rural and only have a 12mb DSL connection. Everything is above ground and we have dropouts here and there but it isn't a big deal.
The lock still works as new, looks new despite the severe weather changes we have in north Idaho. We swap the batteries every 6 months. Even then they are usually around 85% capacity so they just end up in TV remotes and other things.
Frankfort, IL · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 132 votes
3y
Thank you for all the replies with brands and other considerations. They were extremely helpful. I'm sure this has been asked before but new products and ideas are always evolving so it was nice to get updated info. Aside from choosing the right brand, battery selection, battery replacement, spare codes, and an emergency lockbox are all key considerations as well.
Investor · Platte City, MO · Member since 2021 · 24 posts · 12 votes
3y
Seems like the Encode is the way to go, but just reporting that after a year with the Kwikset Halo on our STR, we've had no problems. It's already cheaper, and I got it at a discount. They upgraded their app a few months ago and it's more navigable than it was, but has always been dependable. Can store a hundred or so codes and I easily set schedules for guests, using the last 4 digits of their phone number. Replaced batteries twice in 12-mo, about when they hit 30%. Doesn't have some bells and whistles that Encode has, but perfectly serviceable for STR.
Still have a hidden lockbox, which we've used. Also, tip I learned the hard way: when you install the digital keypad on the deadbolt above, consider replacing the doorknob below with a closet/passage knob--I kept the normal keyed knob at first, and twice guests locked it from inside and exited--keypad will work the deadbolt above fine, but doesn't do much good if the doorknob is locked!
Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
3y
Acknowledging the countless time this question has been asked over the years, I'll just add a couple clarifying points I don't see in the near universal recommendation around Schlage Encode locks:
1. WiFi locks like Encode use more electricity that older, legacy ZWave or Bluetooth that leverage a WiFi bridge or smart hub that act as the "heavy lifter" back to your WiFi/router. That's not a slam against Encode, just the reality of the higher energy usage that WiFi uses over ZWave/Bluetooth (both very low energy). My ZWave locks will run 6-9 months on cheap batteries in brutally cold New England temps. In short: WiFi locks = trading battery life for the simplicity of having one device to buy or setup versus many.
2. New locks are starting to have some nice "jump start" capability built into their hardware that can be a great help against potential battery drain or lockouts. My favorite in this space is the very well constructed, albeit still early-phase, Igloo 2S Deadbolt that can set codes both online and offline, integrates with AirBnB/others, and includes a 9V battery "jump start" capability built in. Great hardware that I'm actually using on remote LTRs as well. For those of you with backup physical lockboxes on-site, they also have the original offline smart padlock they sell as well, which is an equally-impressive technology wonder.
3. Anyone here using Yale Assure locks as well? I see they have a similar ecosystem integration as Schlage Encode, with direct integration into a similar number of popular PM systems out there.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Just a few clarifications @Cliff H., the Schlage Encode is a WiFi and Z wave lock along with Bluetooth connectivity. I have ours connected to a Samsung SmartThings hub. It is true that Z wave radios use far less energy.
Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
3y
Thanks for the clarification @Michael Baum! I'm delayed in upgrading my current Schlage Connect locks to the the newer hardware so that's very helpful to know, as well as the ~6mo of battery life you're seeing in what sounds like a similar climate on the other side of the country. To clarify, are you leveraging the smart deadbolt-style locks or the lever style? I'd be inclined to stay with my lever locks given how many STRs I've stayed in out east where the motorized deadbolts don't quite align and end up jamming, but I'm open to others' experiences in this space.
I'm interested your recommendations for a wifi door lock. Is there a certain one you really like for STRs, and what do you like about it? Thank you!!
Hey man! I highly recommend the Schlag Encode. It runs about $350 but has a pretty awesome app that gives notifications on if the door is open/closed, you can open/close remotely with a button push, and you can create up to like 100 custom pin codes and change how long certain codes are good for etc. The install was very easy, it is a bit pricey but other than that I love everything about it. The only other thing, it takes 3-4 AA batteries I believe (I forget lol). Not sure how long the batteries usually last but I’m thinking of keeping a secret lockbox hidden somewhere outside with a physical key to that lock in the case that the batteries die and I am offsite etc. I like it man!
Acknowledging the countless time this question has been asked over the years, I'll just add a couple clarifying points I don't see in the near universal recommendation around Schlage Encode locks:
1. WiFi locks like Encode use more electricity that older, legacy ZWave or Bluetooth that leverage a WiFi bridge or smart hub that act as the "heavy lifter" back to your WiFi/router. That's not a slam against Encode, just the reality of the higher energy usage that WiFi uses over ZWave/Bluetooth (both very low energy). My ZWave locks will run 6-9 months on cheap batteries in brutally cold New England temps. In short: WiFi locks = trading battery life for the simplicity of having one device to buy or setup versus many.
2. New locks are starting to have some nice "jump start" capability built into their hardware that can be a great help against potential battery drain or lockouts. My favorite in this space is the very well constructed, albeit still early-phase, Igloo 2S Deadbolt that can set codes both online and offline, integrates with AirBnB/others, and includes a 9V battery "jump start" capability built in. Great hardware that I'm actually using on remote LTRs as well. For those of you with backup physical lockboxes on-site, they also have the original offline smart padlock they sell as well, which is an equally-impressive technology wonder.
3. Anyone here using Yale Assure locks as well? I see they have a similar ecosystem integration as Schlage Encode, with direct integration into a similar number of popular PM systems out there.
IMO
1. There's flaw in every smart lock device design, which is fixed by those "jumpstart" capability that just came recently 2. Having wifi in the lock is bad business in my opinion, just because it requires power but it also requires constant Internet connectivity, which is not needed in this case, what next ? 5g SIM card based lock ? A bluetooth based is just enough. 3. Having break-in to WIFI is common business, wifi is not reliable, if I want I can always attack someone wifi and possibly make that key lock not working which at the end defeat the purpose and advertise how to attack certain lock in Tiktok (just similar to what happen to Kia/Hyundai where they're easy get stolen). 4. in case we really really really need smart lock, use one that require less amount of energy and use protocol that's very local, like bluetooth or Zwave.