Condo hotel in Waikiki, Oahu

Condo hotel in Waikiki, Oahu

Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 13 votes

Hi dear investors,

I am looking to network with lenders and investors who are into condohotel in Waikiki, Oahu. My husband family have lived in Oahu for several generations now. We are a military family currently stationed in Boston where we currently invest. My husband is soon to separate from the Air Force and we are planning to create a lifestyle where we could work remote from anywhere. We want our kids to be able to be close to our families, so ideally, we visit Oahu a few months every year.

I spoke with a few realtors and it seems like the best investment would be the condo hotel as they are legal Airbnb/STR. I am also willing to do MTR.

We want to connect with investors who bought condohotel and learn about their experience and if they are good investments.

We are currently in Honolulu, Oahu. Could grab a coffee if anyone is here to connect :)

Thanks,

Elena

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y

Hey @Elena C., so you can't get financing on a condotel most of the time. They are usually none warrantable.

You should double check with a lender to make sure.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    Hi @Elena C. - I work with many vacation rental investors and know one you would likely be happy to chat with you.  Please message me directly and I'll send you his contact info.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Elena C., so you can't get financing on a condotel most of the time. They are usually none warrantable.

    You should double check with a lender to make sure.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    I have a note on my Condotel in Florida. I've had it almost 2 years. I had to put 20% down and I bought it using personal credit. If prices ever cool I will buy another with a DSCR loan no doubt.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Waikiki. Maybe there's something there that I'm not seeing, but me no like.  I would think most investors are trying to get out of there. Who goes there? it's quite depressing I think. Kailua mo' bettah. 

  • Sanders RohsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi @Elena C., if you're still looking for info I'd be happy to talk and share my experience with you. I own 2 STR units in condotel buildings in Waikiki, both are doing very well. One purchased in 2023 and one in 2024, both were rehab projects. One was conventional financing and the other was a portfolio loan from a local bank here in Hawaii, I also did a lot of research into DSCR loans during my search.

    I'm also an agent here on Oahu but focus mainly on Property Management, at the brokerage we manage roughly 50 units that are a mix of STR, MTR, and LTR's.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.