Fiber Optic cable for Internet damaged at vacation rental

Fiber Optic cable for Internet damaged at vacation rental

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes

We had the internet go out at our Lake House due to a damaged cable.  Thought they could get out today but it's looking like tomorrow. 

It will be down for 24 hours shortly.

Luckily we are not one of the cheap ones that doesn't provide Satellite or cable TV so not a huge problem for us.

I have kept the guest informed multiple times today on the status and they have thanked me for trying.

Meanwhile they can still watch TV.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
3y

@John Underwood- glad its  being  fixed relatively  quickly 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood- glad its  being  fixed relatively  quickly 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hmm, I wonder what happened? Did they say?

    Fiber is one of those things that is pretty tough if installed correctly. Interduct sheathing and the like keep it solid.

    I have had fiber run from building to building with zero issues. Who's the provider?

    Hehe, I am one of the cheap ones.... :)

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hmm, I wonder what happened? Did they say?

    Fiber is one of those things that is pretty tough if installed correctly. Interduct sheathing and the like keep it solid.

    I have had fiber run from building to building with zero issues. Who's the provider?

    Hehe, I am one of the cheap ones.... :)


     I had a neighbor bring in some dirt to fill a low spot. I know he was the one that clipped the line. The internet provider fixed it for free (no bill so far).

    I didn't want to be one of those long winded story tellers that you doze off in the middle of their explanation.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hehe roger that. At least they aren't coming after you for the repair.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Somehow I knew this was going to involve someone with a shovel.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    I used to work in Telecom and fiber gets damaged a lot. I've seen dogs chew through it (beside the meter box where the fiber drop ran to the house), landscaping crews routinely cut it, sprinkler installers, homeowners clip it while trimming bushes/trees, even seen a case where wasps chewed through it! (That was inside the Optical Network Terminal, where the sheathing had been trimmed back on the fiber. Huge wasps nest)
    My personal favorite was the time that I was out to repair our fiber, which had been cut by telecom A when telecom A repaired their drop (neighbors house), which had been cut by telecom B when telecom B was repairing their drop (still in service at client's house as the inside install hadn't happened yet), which had been cut by our crew when they were installing the fiber drop...
    Fun times!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.