Problem collecting payment for airbnb reservation

Problem collecting payment for airbnb reservation

Bian DahabPro Member
Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 16 votes

Hi all, I am curious if this has ever been an issue for short-term rental hosts and how you have mitigated the issue. 

I got an Airbnb guest who reserved 28 nights under a strict cancellation policy. The booking was confirmed in mid-November, she checked in on December 2nd, I received the payout notification on December 4th. 

On December 5th, Airbnb notified me about a problem collecting payment at 4:26pm. At 4:35pm, she asks if she can cancel the reservation. She canceled the reservation at 9:22pm. Airbnb writes that "If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout." 

This is already the fourth night of the stay, how is this possible? This would have never happened if I had medium-term or long-term tenant where I make sure to collect the rent before letting them in the property, along with security deposit. 

Anyone who can share the experience and ideas to mitigate it?

For avoidance of doubt, I spoke to her and she claimed a technical issue with the payment and she wants to move out early to move closer to another university she was accepted to today in NJ. I am fine with her moving out early. I am just uncomfortable about the fact that there is a possibility that I could have no payout for an Airbnb reservation that has already started. 

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Bian Dahab:

Indeed I am shocked that I cannot trust Airbnb for the payment collection. I only rely on them for two things: finding the guest and collecting the payment. Vetting the guest, operating the property, preventing a potential eviction is solely at my risk. But if I cannot even rely on them for getting paid for a reservation that has already started, I think they are failing in their core value that their platform offers.

I agree. 
Maybe you weren’t aware of this, but when Covid started, Airbnb gave refunds to  every guest who wanted one, even against the host’s cancellation policy.  https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/airbnb-coronavi...
No proof of illness or exposure was required. Hosts lost thousands of dollars. This policy went on for 2 years, I believe.  
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    I would call and speak to Airbnb. 

    They should have made sure the payment was received before giving out the door code. 

    This seems like their problem to fix to me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I have heard of these kinds of payment problems in other host groups I’m in. The fact that the guest wants to end the stay early is not a good sign. I think there is a problem with her credit card. It could be she’s over her limit. And it is likely that you won’t get paid. Airbnb is notorious for pulling this kind of thing, where they are in charge of payments, but when there’s a problem, it’s yours to deal with and take the financial hit. And they won’t even tell you the details about it. This can happen with shorter stays too. Sometimes it’s an expired card or a stolen card. But in this case, it sounds like she may be living off her credit card, and having problems with the limit or she’s not able to make the payments on it. 

  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    2y

    Definitely call airbnb but they will probably say it's not their problem. Might just be a crappy situation you have to deal with but if they aren't going to pay then I'd rather have them not pay for 4 nights instead of 28. Just one of those annoying things we have to deal with as hosts. 

  • Bian DahabPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    Indeed I am shocked that I cannot trust Airbnb for the payment collection. I only rely on them for two things: finding the guest and collecting the payment. Vetting the guest, operating the property, preventing a potential eviction is solely at my risk. But if I cannot even rely on them for getting paid for a reservation that has already started, I think they are failing in their core value that their platform offers.

  • Bian DahabPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

    Definitely call airbnb but they will probably say it's not their problem. Might just be a crappy situation you have to deal with but if they aren't going to pay then I'd rather have them not pay for 4 nights instead of 28. Just one of those annoying things we have to deal with as hosts. 

    The guest made a settlement for 4 nights on a short-term stay pricing. I am fine with this particular reservation, just quite shocked that this is a possibility when hosting through airbnb. 
  • Christian EhlersBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NH & MA · Member since 2021 · 457 posts · 291 votes
    2y

    Sounds like you got through this relatively well! I know no longer having a 28 day stay stings a bit but at least you don't have somebody not paying and trying to take advantage of your property

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bian Dahab:

    Indeed I am shocked that I cannot trust Airbnb for the payment collection. I only rely on them for two things: finding the guest and collecting the payment. Vetting the guest, operating the property, preventing a potential eviction is solely at my risk. But if I cannot even rely on them for getting paid for a reservation that has already started, I think they are failing in their core value that their platform offers.

    I agree. 
    Maybe you weren’t aware of this, but when Covid started, Airbnb gave refunds to  every guest who wanted one, even against the host’s cancellation policy.  https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/airbnb-coronavi...
    No proof of illness or exposure was required. Hosts lost thousands of dollars. This policy went on for 2 years, I believe.  
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    We have had similar issues from time to time.  Call Airbnb, and do not take no for an answer.  Especially from low level support.  Since we are a bit larger we have a local area rep who can help with these things instead of the outsourced support.  Unfortunately 50/50 if you get anything :/

  • Bian DahabPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    We have had similar issues from time to time.  Call Airbnb, and do not take no for an answer.  Especially from low level support.  Since we are a bit larger we have a local area rep who can help with these things instead of the outsourced support.  Unfortunately 50/50 if you get anything :/

     Thanks Andrew! I like you have your own website of rentals with a booking system. I want to do that eventually. 

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    2y

    I would be calling Airbnb to get this fixed. If they checked in, then you should get a payment. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bian Dahab:
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    We have had similar issues from time to time.  Call Airbnb, and do not take no for an answer.  Especially from low level support.  Since we are a bit larger we have a local area rep who can help with these things instead of the outsourced support.  Unfortunately 50/50 if you get anything :/

     Thanks Andrew! I like you have your own website of rentals with a booking system. I want to do that eventually. 


     For sure! We market to all of our guests and try to convert them for future bookings for this very reason!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.