Rental Property Investor · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 4 votes
My short term rental bookings are way down lately and I’ve had a lot of cancellations as well. My property manager said that it’s been like that with all the properties and not just with mine. I’d like to reach more potential guests and see if I can boost the occupancy. Anyone have any strategies or ideas?
My short term rental bookings are way down lately and I’ve had a lot of cancellations as well. My property manager said that it’s been like that with all the properties and not just with mine. I’d like to reach more potential guests and see if I can boost the occupancy. Anyone have any strategies or ideas?
Hi Michael I’ll take a look at your listing if you PM me the link.
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
I would also be taking an honest look at my property to see if it needs an upgrade in design, and if the STR even stands out enough in the first place.
Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 49 votes
2y
Hi @Michael Morelli, we’ve also seen a reduction of booking and viewings over the last year in Cincinnati, OH due to increased inventory.
What we have done is look at the competition, implement a more robust pricing strategy, and our most effective is to agitate the listing as often as possible!
I hope this helps! Let me know what you find out and what works for you
Like @Sarah Kensinger said, if see if any new competition has come on surg better features or better design.
The short-term rental market has stiffened over the last year here in Colorado (and everywhere), and our STR buyers have to bring their A game to ensure they're successful. New paint, maybe hiring a designer, adding any new amenities that might bump you to the top.
We actually just did this with one of our own properties in Denver that we rent as a medium-term rental. We repainted, changed out the art, replaced a couch and had it photographed anew. We got someone in at a slightly higher rate than before. Just cost of business, I think.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
Reiterating much of what is above:
1. Is your property desirable in comparison to the competition. In 2021 there was a major shortage so anything was renting. In 2023-24 there is market equilibrium or saturation depending on the market. Only the best survive. Well located, well furnished/designed, amenity rich properties at the right price are flourishing. Houses lacking are floundering.
2. Pricing. How are you priced in comparison to the competition? As a larger provider we employ both dynamic pricing software as well as a revenue manager that checks our prices daily.
3. Marketing. How many channels are you on? We are on 15 channels to include Airbnb, VRBO, Booking.com, Marriott Homes & Villas, JetBlue Airlines, Allegiant airlines, Homes2Go and more. The more exposure the better. Direct booking/marketing is the best, ask if your PM is doing this.
4. Listing quality - Sort of goes with the first point, but making sure the space is maximized. Quality Linens, soaps, etc. Also professional photography is a must. I cannot believe I still see cell phone pics in 2024.
Realtor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 12 votes
2y
It also wouldn't hurt to get in your listing daily to play around with verbiage, pictures, pricing, etc. I've always heard this helps with the algorithm in showing that you are an active host and can get a little bump up in the rankings.
Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
2y
Hey Michael - I'd love to give you a specific pointers if you'd like me to run an audit of your listing. Getting specific about targeting your ideal guest and making your space "Instagrammable" are a few things you can start with. I also have a resource I can send you that walks you thru a lot of marketing pointers for STR hosts. Let me know.
I’ve been there. What I did was to add special incentives including no pet fee and a discount on a golf cart fee. They are expenses but guests seem to respond to these special incentives.
I just added a golf cart and bicycles at a faction of the cost in the Destin Florida area. As the vacation season approached golf cart rentals are very expensive. About 800-900 a week. I can flex the rent based on bookings and area demand. Also competition that is known to cut rates find it hard to compete with this incentive.