Hey BP fam! I'm still doing market research and can't decide what would be a less riskier option for me, is it better to find a property in a vacation destination that's more rural and outdoors or a property in a more urban/metro area? I'm thinking that in more rural areas there's less exit strategies, like what happened when COVID hit, everybody stopped taking vacations. So since it's not really in a metro area you can't really convert it to an MTR or LTR if you had to. The only exit strategies I see is only STR, sell, or go through reserves until vacations would pick back up.While in a more metro area you can convert to MTR or LTR if need be. What do you guys think? Do you any of you guys have properties in both kind of markets? If so, which are performing better in your experience?
Another thing to notice is who the experts say are making money in 2024, which are luxury and eco/experience type properties. Don't be just another vanilla (forgettable) $190 ADR listing with cell phone pictures, no SEO and the same hot tub and fire pit as everyone else. You can do something simple like transform a garage or unfinished basement into a "wellness center" for about $10K and then make business connections with local yogis, wellness practitioners, hold meditation retreats and specialized events. Upcharge for spa boxes, maybe a massage or concierge services, etc...Those marketing strategies will boost your bookings and top line revenue, plus make you more memorable. Think a bit like a boutique hotel owner. The stay is just the beginning of the revenue stream, like a base line. It gets a guest in the door and you build the experience from there.
Be creative and see what's missing from the market you're interested in, fill the gap and think of it as a business, not just an Airbnb.
Hi @Ivan Aldana, so you are a not really informed based on some of you statements.
First off, COVID drove people to vacation at STRs all over the place, but especially in more rural areas where they can get away from it all. Most of us saw record occupancy and nightly rates during the pandemic.
Urban STRs were hit harder due to the heavier restrictions in larger cities.
Regarding the rural vs urban, I believe in beaches, lakes and mountains for any STRs I look at. I almost never look at urban places.
In an urban/city you can expect STR restrictions, unreasonable regs (sometimes) and an overall dislike of STRs in general.
In a rural area, you can expect more acceptance due to the distances between homes, the taxes STRs bring in can make a real difference (plus the places people visit drive revenue) etc.
There are a ton of folks converting their STRs to LTRs due to outright bans in the bigger cities.
Buying your STR in the right area will be important. Plan ahead if you buy in a seasonal area. We are very seasonable and planned accordingly. No problems making a profit.
Hi @Ivan Aldana, so you are a not really informed based on some of you statements.
First off, COVID drove people to vacation at STRs all over the place, but especially in more rural areas where they can get away from it all. Most of us saw record occupancy and nightly rates during the pandemic.
Urban STRs were hit harder due to the heavier restrictions in larger cities.
Regarding the rural vs urban, I believe in beaches, lakes and mountains for any STRs I look at. I almost never look at urban places.
In an urban/city you can expect STR restrictions, unreasonable regs (sometimes) and an overall dislike of STRs in general.
In a rural area, you can expect more acceptance due to the distances between homes, the taxes STRs bring in can make a real difference (plus the places people visit drive revenue) etc.
There are a ton of folks converting their STRs to LTRs due to outright bans in the bigger cities.
Buying your STR in the right area will be important. Plan ahead if you buy in a seasonal area. We are very seasonable and planned accordingly. No problems making a profit.
Helps out a lot, very informative! Thank you.
Hi @Ivan Aldana, so you are a not really informed based on some of you statements.
First off, COVID drove people to vacation at STRs all over the place, but especially in more rural areas where they can get away from it all. Most of us saw record occupancy and nightly rates during the pandemic.
Urban STRs were hit harder due to the heavier restrictions in larger cities.
Regarding the rural vs urban, I believe in beaches, lakes and mountains for any STRs I look at. I almost never look at urban places.
In an urban/city you can expect STR restrictions, unreasonable regs (sometimes) and an overall dislike of STRs in general.
In a rural area, you can expect more acceptance due to the distances between homes, the taxes STRs bring in can make a real difference (plus the places people visit drive revenue) etc.
There are a ton of folks converting their STRs to LTRs due to outright bans in the bigger cities.
Buying your STR in the right area will be important. Plan ahead if you buy in a seasonal area. We are very seasonable and planned accordingly. No problems making a profit.
Helps out a lot, very informative! Thank you.
Hi @Ivan Aldana, so you are a not really informed based on some of you statements.
First off, COVID drove people to vacation at STRs all over the place, but especially in more rural areas where they can get away from it all. Most of us saw record occupancy and nightly rates during the pandemic.
Urban STRs were hit harder due to the heavier restrictions in larger cities.
Regarding the rural vs urban, I believe in beaches, lakes and mountains for any STRs I look at. I almost never look at urban places.
In an urban/city you can expect STR restrictions, unreasonable regs (sometimes) and an overall dislike of STRs in general.
In a rural area, you can expect more acceptance due to the distances between homes, the taxes STRs bring in can make a real difference (plus the places people visit drive revenue) etc.
There are a ton of folks converting their STRs to LTRs due to outright bans in the bigger cities.
Buying your STR in the right area will be important. Plan ahead if you buy in a seasonal area. We are very seasonable and planned accordingly. No problems making a profit.
Exactly. We killed it during Covid at out lake house as people had a safe place to have fun away from the crowds.
Another thing to notice is who the experts say are making money in 2024, which are luxury and eco/experience type properties. Don't be just another vanilla (forgettable) $190 ADR listing with cell phone pictures, no SEO and the same hot tub and fire pit as everyone else. You can do something simple like transform a garage or unfinished basement into a "wellness center" for about $10K and then make business connections with local yogis, wellness practitioners, hold meditation retreats and specialized events. Upcharge for spa boxes, maybe a massage or concierge services, etc...Those marketing strategies will boost your bookings and top line revenue, plus make you more memorable. Think a bit like a boutique hotel owner. The stay is just the beginning of the revenue stream, like a base line. It gets a guest in the door and you build the experience from there.
Be creative and see what's missing from the market you're interested in, fill the gap and think of it as a business, not just an Airbnb.
@Ivan Aldana
I have LTRs in a metro area, an STR in rural hiking/rock climbing area and an STR in a beach area next to a large metro area.
I will say we have so many more hoops to jump through and regulations at the beach STR even though most of the area is STR's and welcomed. So many more eyes trying to hinder my operation.
The rural one has zero STR regulations or code enforcement but is a regional and attraction and driveable from several airports. Much easier to do business there in terms of regulation but harder to come by a reliable cleaning/handyman/PMteam and smaller pool of contractors.
You need to decide what is important to you.
Another thing to notice is who the experts say are making money in 2024, which are luxury and eco/experience type properties. Don't be just another vanilla (forgettable) $190 ADR listing with cell phone pictures, no SEO and the same hot tub and fire pit as everyone else. You can do something simple like transform a garage or unfinished basement into a "wellness center" for about $10K and then make business connections with local yogis, wellness practitioners, hold meditation retreats and specialized events. Upcharge for spa boxes, maybe a massage or concierge services, etc...Those marketing strategies will boost your bookings and top line revenue, plus make you more memorable. Think a bit like a boutique hotel owner. The stay is just the beginning of the revenue stream, like a base line. It gets a guest in the door and you build the experience from there.
Be creative and see what's missing from the market you're interested in, fill the gap and think of it as a business, not just an Airbnb.
Very helpful insight! Definitely got to do something different to stand out. Thanks!
@Ivan Aldana
I have LTRs in a metro area, an STR in rural hiking/rock climbing area and an STR in a beach area next to a large metro area.
I will say we have so many more hoops to jump through and regulations at the beach STR even though most of the area is STR's and welcomed. So many more eyes trying to hinder my operation.
The rural one has zero STR regulations or code enforcement but is a regional and attraction and driveable from several airports. Much easier to do business there in terms of regulation but harder to come by a reliable cleaning/handyman/PMteam and smaller pool of contractors.
You need to decide what is important to you.
Just what I needed! Thanks for the helpful insights on your experiences.
I want to point out something about what @Theresa Holl said.
All those things are very cool and would be nice to offer, but they would constitute significant services which will change your taxable status.
So you really have to balance those sorts of special experiences or offerings. Many things listed would be considered significant services and would have you losing much of your tax deductions.
I know of a couple of STR owners who had to eat a big tax bill due to this and they had to nix those sorts of offerings.
That doesn't mean you can't create the wellness space, golf simulator, upscale game room, etc to enhance the space. You just don't want to bring in people to train folks or do yoga or whatever.
That means even if you don't pay them but created a relationship. It isn't the same as us telling folks where to rent a boat.
Hey BP fam! I'm still doing market research and can't decide what would be a less riskier option for me, is it better to find a property in a vacation destination that's more rural and outdoors or a property in a more urban/metro area? I'm thinking that in more rural areas there's less exit strategies, like what happened when COVID hit, everybody stopped taking vacations. So since it's not really in a metro area you can't really convert it to an MTR or LTR if you had to. The only exit strategies I see is only STR, sell, or go through reserves until vacations would pick back up.While in a more metro area you can convert to MTR or LTR if need be. What do you guys think? Do you any of you guys have properties in both kind of markets? If so, which are performing better in your experience?
I want to point out something about what @Theresa Holl said.
All those things are very cool and would be nice to offer, but they would constitute significant services which will change your taxable status.
So you really have to balance those sorts of special experiences or offerings. Many things listed would be considered significant services and would have you losing much of your tax deductions.
I know of a couple of STR owners who had to eat a big tax bill due to this and they had to nix those sorts of offerings.
That doesn't mean you can't create the wellness space, golf simulator, upscale game room, etc to enhance the space. You just don't want to bring in people to train folks or do yoga or whatever.
That means even if you don't pay them but created a relationship. It isn't the same as us telling folks where to rent a boat.
Michael - Curious what part of taxable status would be affected here. Are you referring to property tax classification, as in it moves you from residential to commercial, or are there income tax remifications?
I think less about exit strategy and more how you will pivot. ie: move from STR to MTR, or LTR. Example: If there are too many STRs and you can't get the occupancy high enough then you could switch into MTR. If it makes sense financially converting it into a long term rental could be the way to go. People always need housing and speaking of MTR there will always be insurance claims and traveling medical professionals. In the case of a nationwide shut down like we saw, if that happened again, I personally don't think we'd see a such a massive pent up demand from vacationers, and could see people operating as normal if any more mandates are imposed, but it's hard to say. There are places that are constantly popular with tourists. For example here in St Augustine, most of the year is steadily busy. I think you want to pick markets which have a strong following and year round tourism, that you know and have visited and that have clear demand. We have already seen a cull in STR as a lot of people pivoted in the last 18 months, so I think what you'll see in the market now are people that are serious about this business.
I want to point out something about what @Theresa Holl said.
All those things are very cool and would be nice to offer, but they would constitute significant services which will change your taxable status.
So you really have to balance those sorts of special experiences or offerings. Many things listed would be considered significant services and would have you losing much of your tax deductions.
I know of a couple of STR owners who had to eat a big tax bill due to this and they had to nix those sorts of offerings.
That doesn't mean you can't create the wellness space, golf simulator, upscale game room, etc to enhance the space. You just don't want to bring in people to train folks or do yoga or whatever.
That means even if you don't pay them but created a relationship. It isn't the same as us telling folks where to rent a boat.
I want to point out something about what @Theresa Holl said.
All those things are very cool and would be nice to offer, but they would constitute significant services which will change your taxable status.
So you really have to balance those sorts of special experiences or offerings. Many things listed would be considered significant services and would have you losing much of your tax deductions.
I know of a couple of STR owners who had to eat a big tax bill due to this and they had to nix those sorts of offerings.
That doesn't mean you can't create the wellness space, golf simulator, upscale game room, etc to enhance the space. You just don't want to bring in people to train folks or do yoga or whatever.
That means even if you don't pay them but created a relationship. It isn't the same as us telling folks where to rent a boat.
Michael - Curious what part of taxable status would be affected here. Are you referring to property tax classification, as in it moves you from residential to commercial, or are there income tax remifications?
It changes your taxable status for income tax. You will have to file under a schedule C vs schedule E.
It isn't necessarily a worse situation, but it usually means that you will not get the same tax deductions. You will have to pay self employment taxes etc.
Check out this article from our own @Avery Carl - https://theshorttermshop.com/is-short-term-rental-schedule-e...
Thanks @Theresa Holl. I am not saying that it is a bad idea or not worth it.
It appears that you are doing just fine. You are in a different situation. You have an investing group, which I assume means an LLP of some kind which means you are paying the self employment taxes etc because you are not an individual. You have to run this way, but you are paying more in taxes over an individual with passive vs active investment.
Seeing as most folks who visit here are small, self managing folks, it is important that people are aware of the differences. That is why I pointed it out.
As with anything like this, get help from your CPA on what way to go.
I always like to tell people to start in a place that draws them. Make sure the numbers work but also find a place that makes you passionate about offering a STR to guests. No matter what happens in the future, if your strategic and hanging out in the right groups, you'll find a way to continue being profitable!
I want to point out something about what @Theresa Holl said.
All those things are very cool and would be nice to offer, but they would constitute significant services which will change your taxable status.
So you really have to balance those sorts of special experiences or offerings. Many things listed would be considered significant services and would have you losing much of your tax deductions.
I know of a couple of STR owners who had to eat a big tax bill due to this and they had to nix those sorts of offerings.
That doesn't mean you can't create the wellness space, golf simulator, upscale game room, etc to enhance the space. You just don't want to bring in people to train folks or do yoga or whatever.
That means even if you don't pay them but created a relationship. It isn't the same as us telling folks where to rent a boat.
Thanks for your input and advice. Definitely will keep all those things in mind.
Hey BP fam! I'm still doing market research and can't decide what would be a less riskier option for me, is it better to find a property in a vacation destination that's more rural and outdoors or a property in a more urban/metro area? I'm thinking that in more rural areas there's less exit strategies, like what happened when COVID hit, everybody stopped taking vacations. So since it's not really in a metro area you can't really convert it to an MTR or LTR if you had to. The only exit strategies I see is only STR, sell, or go through reserves until vacations would pick back up.While in a more metro area you can convert to MTR or LTR if need be. What do you guys think? Do you any of you guys have properties in both kind of markets? If so, which are performing better in your experience?
Great advice Nathan! Just what I needed, the inside scoop of your personal experience, really appreciate that!
I think less about exit strategy and more how you will pivot. ie: move from STR to MTR, or LTR. Example: If there are too many STRs and you can't get the occupancy high enough then you could switch into MTR. If it makes sense financially converting it into a long term rental could be the way to go. People always need housing and speaking of MTR there will always be insurance claims and traveling medical professionals. In the case of a nationwide shut down like we saw, if that happened again, I personally don't think we'd see a such a massive pent up demand from vacationers, and could see people operating as normal if any more mandates are imposed, but it's hard to say. There are places that are constantly popular with tourists. For example here in St Augustine, most of the year is steadily busy. I think you want to pick markets which have a strong following and year round tourism, that you know and have visited and that have clear demand. We have already seen a cull in STR as a lot of people pivoted in the last 18 months, so I think what you'll see in the market now are people that are serious about this business.
Yeah sorry that's more what I meant is how to pivot if needed and not an exit strategy, but thanks for your insights!
I always like to tell people to start in a place that draws them. Make sure the numbers work but also find a place that makes you passionate about offering a STR to guests. No matter what happens in the future, if your strategic and hanging out in the right groups, you'll find a way to continue being profitable!
Agreeing with most here - but with some things to add. First off, you do paint sort of worst case scenarios. There are no investments that are immune to risk in general.
I like to invest in growing markets that also have traditional tourism draws, but that is my preference. I plan for the first time to buy something outside that box this year as a second home/cabin somewhere in Appalachia. Stepping outside of my comfort zone but I understand the risks and I am not depending on that investment to perform.
I think you should invest somewhere in your comfort zone, whatever that may be.
Hey BP fam! I'm still doing market research and can't decide what would be a less riskier option for me, is it better to find a property in a vacation destination that's more rural and outdoors or a property in a more urban/metro area? I'm thinking that in more rural areas there's less exit strategies, like what happened when COVID hit, everybody stopped taking vacations. So since it's not really in a metro area you can't really convert it to an MTR or LTR if you had to. The only exit strategies I see is only STR, sell, or go through reserves until vacations would pick back up.While in a more metro area you can convert to MTR or LTR if need be. What do you guys think? Do you any of you guys have properties in both kind of markets? If so, which are performing better in your experience?
Great advice Nathan! Just what I needed, the inside scoop of your personal experience, really appreciate that!
your welcome and best of luck on your journey!
Agreeing with most here - but with some things to add. First off, you do paint sort of worst case scenarios. There are no investments that are immune to risk in general.
I like to invest in growing markets that also have traditional tourism draws, but that is my preference. I plan for the first time to buy something outside that box this year as a second home/cabin somewhere in Appalachia. Stepping outside of my comfort zone but I understand the risks and I am not depending on that investment to perform.
I think you should invest somewhere in your comfort zone, whatever that may be.
Great advice! Appreciate it!
Thanks @Theresa Holl. I am not saying that it is a bad idea or not worth it.
It appears that you are doing just fine. You are in a different situation. You have an investing group, which I assume means an LLP of some kind which means you are paying the self employment taxes etc because you are not an individual. You have to run this way, but you are paying more in taxes over an individual with passive vs active investment.
Seeing as most folks who visit here are small, self managing folks, it is important that people are aware of the differences. That is why I pointed it out.
As with anything like this, get help from your CPA on what way to go.
Totally agree Michael. I have an LLC, so don't want to give tax advice to anyone who doesn't run their investments like a business. My recommendation is to hang out with Alchemy of Money for a CPA and Engineered Tax Services for additional tax strategy. They are my go tos.