How did you find your go to handyperson?

How did you find your go to handyperson?

Garrett BrownPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2024 路 505 posts 路 553 votes

I have some solid ones in my current market, but I'm moving into a new market soon. What are some tips you used to find your favorite handy person? How did you know they were the right one? What are some red flags to avoid? 

1Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Member since 2015 路 222 posts 路 173 votes
2y

Garrett, go to your local lumber, doors, windows, etc. supply store (not a HD or Lowe's, of course) and ask at the front desk if they can recommend someone.  They will.  Why?  Because when that person does work for you, they will come there to buy the supplies, plumbing, or water heater etc.  I did this and my handyman has been solid the last 10 years.  He doesn't charge an arm and a leg either.  In Milwaukee, the local lumber store is called Bliffert.  They have 3 locations throughout the city.  Extremely helpful.  You can open an account and they will bill you monthly too, so something similar to that in your area is what I recommend.  

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    2y

    I found my go to handyman on Craigslist over 10 years ago.

    Today I would use a local RE FB group or a recommendation from people in my RE Club.

  • Investor 路 Member since 2015 路 222 posts 路 173 votes
    2y

    Garrett, go to your local lumber, doors, windows, etc. supply store (not a HD or Lowe's, of course) and ask at the front desk if they can recommend someone.  They will.  Why?  Because when that person does work for you, they will come there to buy the supplies, plumbing, or water heater etc.  I did this and my handyman has been solid the last 10 years.  He doesn't charge an arm and a leg either.  In Milwaukee, the local lumber store is called Bliffert.  They have 3 locations throughout the city.  Extremely helpful.  You can open an account and they will bill you monthly too, so something similar to that in your area is what I recommend.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    2y

    Seeing as our house is pretty rural, our choices are limited. Luckily I have a few people available. Plumbing and HVAC especially.

    I found my guy at the small ACE hardware store.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager 路 Gatlinburg, TN 路 Member since 2020 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y

    Local Facebook groups.

  • Property Manager 路 Erie & Millscreek PA | Maggie Valley & Haywood County NC 路 Member since 2024 路 264 posts 路 118 votes
    2y

    Taskrabbit or Thumbtack are apps to find handymen 

  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2024 路 505 posts 路 553 votes
    2y

    Great advice, everyone! I love hearing insight from hosts who have solved this common pain point. The local hardware store or lumber supply is a great tidbit.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Kansas City 路 Member since 2018 路 4k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    2y

    FB groups and referral. FB groups you might get some bad ones so be careful. Get multiple bids as anything else

  • Gary NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Branson, MO 路 Member since 2016 路 141 posts 路 93 votes
    2y

    The easiest way that I have found over the years is to simply ask other investors, specifically in your local market. Many of us will gladly share our contacts - helping you AND that allows us to provide value to our contractors by referring them extra business. Also, I have heard success stories of folks finding good contractors at the home improvement stores early in the AM.

    Gary Nelson Real Estate, EXP Realty, LLC554 Reviews
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Kansas City, MO 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 492 votes
    2y

    Facebook groups are an excellent resource for this. 
    Checking online reviews and ratings can also provide insight into the reliability and quality of a handyman's work. Once you have gathered a few potential candidates, it's important to ask them about their experience, any specialties they might have, and for references from previous clients.

    Clear communication about your expectations and the scope of the work is crucial. Discuss timelines, costs, and any materials that might be needed up front. This will help prevent misunderstandings and ensure that the project runs smoothly.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL 路 Member since 2022 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    2y

    I give them full time jobs at my PM co with benefits :)

    But to hire on a contract basis - mainly echoing from above - I would go to Thumbtack, TaskRabbit, Local FB groups.

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate 路 Yuma, AZ 路 Member since 2023 路 280 posts 路 246 votes
    2y

    Initially, I went through recommendations from friends or acquaintances.  I went through a few and didn't find one I liked.  Then I asked a PM and they gave me a contact.  This one is a keeper.  I'm always second tier to the PM, but I'm good with that.  He does good work and is very responsive.

  • Carbondale, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    2y

    Not sure how active the app Nextdoor is in the area you are going to, but around me that has been where i have found some good tradesmen.   

  • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2016 路 5k+ posts 路 13k+ votes
    2y

    Network and social media neighborhood pages.  When that handyman flakes out or moves up, repeat.  It's a continuous process.

  • Investor 路 Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 754 votes
    2y

    LOTS of trial and error. Turno, FB groups, word of mouth are great ways to find people. 

    Once you find one that vibes well with you and seems to know what they are doing I would just hang tight with them. 

    Don't send them out for 1 or 2 little things at a time. Send them out to do 5+ things to make their time feel worth it. If you are sending them out to change one light bulb or tighten one screw all the time they will get tired of you. 

    Payment is always a big question to me. I want someone who is running a legit business and will invoice me and not just send me a Venmo request. 

  • Property Manager 路 Illinois, Indiana & Wisconsin but call center all 50 states 路 Member since 2020 路 92 posts 路 32 votes
    2y

    Hello, my friend. Based on our experience, it's mostly FB groups, TaskRabbit, and other stuff like that. The best thing is if you got a recommendation from someone, because you never know what to expect 馃槈

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Akron, OH 路 Member since 2021 路 31 posts 路 19 votes
    2y

    Love to use recommendations from people I know and trust if applicable. Otherwise, I have had success with local facebook group and recommendations from my realtor/other businesses I have worked with successfully. Clear and concise communication, willingness to help, and promptness have been my biggest indicators for finding the right individuals. Red flags have been the opposites of the three items listed above! No shows with no communication are one of the biggest red flags for me personally. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.