Is there a demand for Short term rentals in Kyle Texas?

Is there a demand for Short term rentals in Kyle Texas?

Joe S.Pro Member
Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Does anyone have any information about the short term rental market in Kyle Texas?
I have an opportunity to get into a property that doesn’t have any true equity, but the terms are really good. I don’t see where a rental would make sense, so I’m trying to look at other options to cover the monthly payments until the market goes back up.
 

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

Hey @Joe S. Have you checked VRBO and AirBNB?

A quick look at VRBO shows over 300+ listings so there is competition.

With it being about 25 minutes to Austin, it could work OK.

Of course there is a lot of research to be done. Drop the address into https://awning.com/airbnb-estimator

It works like AirDNA. It uses the same data. Would give you a good idea as to what to expect.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Joe S. Have you checked VRBO and AirBNB?

    A quick look at VRBO shows over 300+ listings so there is competition.

    With it being about 25 minutes to Austin, it could work OK.

    Of course there is a lot of research to be done. Drop the address into https://awning.com/airbnb-estimator

    It works like AirDNA. It uses the same data. Would give you a good idea as to what to expect.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Joe S. Have you checked VRBO and AirBNB?

    A quick look at VRBO shows over 300+ listings so there is competition.

    With it being about 25 minutes to Austin, it could work OK.

    Of course there is a lot of research to be done. Drop the address into https://awning.com/airbnb-estimator

    It works like AirDNA. It uses the same data. Would give you a good idea as to what to expect.

    Thanks 😊 
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Does anyone have any information about the short term rental market in Kyle Texas?
    I have an opportunity to get into a property that doesn’t have any true equity, but the terms are really good. I don’t see where a rental would make sense, so I’m trying to look at other options to cover the monthly payments until the market goes back up.
     

    Also look at those Vrbo and Airbnb calendars and see how full they are and what nightly rates they are getting.

    Should be easy from here to see if a new property would pencil in or not.
  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
    1y

    Is the property just a regular-style house or something you can build an experience around?  If you are near a major city like Austin, you will always have a stream of guests you can find. You need a stay that they can't experience elsewhere. If you are getting a good deal on a place and it is just a regular-style house, I would run numbers compared to AirDNA and Mashvisor's estimated revenue. On regular houses, they are usually pretty accurate. If you are making a unique stay, you can almost 3-4x their estimate in my experience.  

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    1y

    One of the first things you should do is to check the HOA rules to see if they allow STRs.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I would first check city/county STR rules and HOA (if applicable). Then you can check AirDNA.co (or similar site). I would also consult Airbnb/VRBO in guest mode to see how competition is doing. Good luck!

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Honestly if you are doing STR I would suggest doing Austin itself rather than all the way out there in Kyle - maybe a couple of years ago when the prices were through the roof in Austin city itself this would be a good alternative but there is a blip right now where you can get a god entry point in Austin (downtown/east ideally) for STR

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joe S.:

    Does anyone have any information about the short term rental market in Kyle Texas?
    I have an opportunity to get into a property that doesn’t have any true equity, but the terms are really good. I don’t see where a rental would make sense, so I’m trying to look at other options to cover the monthly payments until the market goes back up.
     


     I have a contact in the city dept of Kyle. I can at least find out the rules that go by or what they allow. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2024 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Has a lot to do with the HOA. If you are open to other areas I would look at round rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville area. Where you pick will depend on your goals for cash flow and your budget to buy. Feel free to reach out if you would like more information.

  • Blake Anthony CarterBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 101 posts · 47 votes
    1y

    We operate dozens of STR's around Austin. Kyle can have success with the right property but it really has to be the right property. Happy to review what you have and advise if it could work.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.