Lock-Off Units – More Profitable as One Large Rental or Two Smaller Units?
Hey BP Community!
I’m buying an investment property with a lock-off unit, giving me the flexibility to rent it as either one large unit or two separate smaller units. I’ve seen some short-term rental investors take advantage of this setup by adjusting their listing based on seasonal demand, but I’m curious about real-world experiences.
For those of you who have lock-off properties, I’d love to hear:
✅ Which strategy made you more money—renting it as one larger unit or as two smaller ones?
✅ Which was more consistently booked? Did guests prefer a larger space, or did the smaller units stay occupied more often?
✅ What challenges did you face managing it as two separate rentals? (Cleaning, turnover, guest confusion, etc.)
✅ Did seasonality impact your strategy? Did you switch between configurations depending on demand?
I’m trying to determine if this kind of flexibility is worth the effort or if one approach is clearly better for cash flow and occupancy rates. Would love to hear your insights and numbers if you’re willing to share!
Looking forward to your responses—thanks in advance!
Here are a few details in case it matters for responders: Lakefront 1950's gem with docks at Lake of the Ozarks, season is March through September. Currently, upstairs has 3 bed/1 bath and downstairs lock off unit has 1 bed/1 bath. Both have their own entrances and kitchens. When we purchase we'll add another 1/2 bath upstairs. There is one more 1 bed/1 bath with kitchen and private entrance on the lower level, as well, that I'll leave as a totally separate unit.