Interesting article about an A frame

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

I spent almost half of my childhood in an A frame (oddly enough in NJ).  Beautiful architecture.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    A frames have always been a guest favorite in the Smokies. I'd love to own one.

    • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      A frames have always been a guest favorite in the Smokies. I'd love to own one.


       Just curious.  But what would you say the estimated premium might be on an aframe in sevierville/gatlinburg? 

      i.e. Lets say the typical gross rent for a 1 bedroom cabin is 50k to 58k. What do you think a 1 bedroom aframe cabin might be estimated at?
      Or a 2 bed cabin estimated to bring in 60k to 70k.  What do you think a 2 bedroom aframe cabin might be estimated at?

      And do you think that it has to be a full aframe where the roof line goes down almost to the ground? Or could it be a partial aframe where the outside walls are maybe 4 feet high and the roofline goes down there and maybe extends over the walls so it appears to be more of a true aframe?

      Lastly, what if the main level still had 8 foot ceilings all the way around instead of angled walls by using dead space there on the outsides?  Would that take away from the aframe appeal? Or is the value of the aframe literally the appeal of the exterior pics?

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mike H.:
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      A frames have always been a guest favorite in the Smokies. I'd love to own one.


       Just curious.  But what would you say the estimated premium might be on an aframe in sevierville/gatlinburg? 

      i.e. Lets say the typical gross rent for a 1 bedroom cabin is 50k to 58k. What do you think a 1 bedroom aframe cabin might be estimated at?
      Or a 2 bed cabin estimated to bring in 60k to 70k.  What do you think a 2 bedroom aframe cabin might be estimated at?

      And do you think that it has to be a full aframe where the roof line goes down almost to the ground? Or could it be a partial aframe where the outside walls are maybe 4 feet high and the roofline goes down there and maybe extends over the walls so it appears to be more of a true aframe?

      Lastly, what if the main level still had 8 foot ceilings all the way around instead of angled walls by using dead space there on the outsides?  Would that take away from the aframe appeal? Or is the value of the aframe literally the appeal of the exterior pics?

      I don't know that an A-frame is necessarily going to outperform a typical cabin, but it is certainly going to have its nice of guests. The "look" is what appeals to guests, because the A-frame represents the quintessential cabin in many peoples' minds.

      I have an authentic log cabin on a river near downtown Gatlinburg. Does it outperform stick-built properties down the street?  I doubt it. But it doesn't have any trouble staying occupied, either, and I really wanted a real log cabin.

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Love me an A-frame. (Damn, those windows.) Reminds me of my Colorado client's recent STR buy.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I spent almost half of my childhood in an A frame (oddly enough in NJ).  Beautiful architecture.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    OP
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    They are fun and actually sort of easier to build than a standard home for a DIY person.

    I think I could build an A-frame. It would take me forever...but I could do it!

    • Member since 2022 · 51 posts · 28 votes
      1y

      @Michael Baum https://avrame.com/floorplans

      Looks like there are some kit options out there!

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      They are fun and actually sort of easier to build than a standard home for a DIY person.

      I think I could build an A-frame. It would take me forever...but I could do it!

       I'm sure you could do it. They're not hard to build at all. You're essentially building a really steep roof on the ground and filling in the space in between - the rafter "ties" end up being the floors depending on how many you have (I've only ever seen two floors in an A frame, the main floor and the loft). When I lived up in Pennsylvania they were popular because you could pour a slab or some piers right on the ground and take off from there, since there was so much rock in the ground and the frost line is deep. They're ideal for this kind of thing, but living in them sucks if you're more than just a couple of people. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
  • Josh SedivyBusiness Member
    St. Louis, MO · Member since 2024 · 134 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    Interesting article! It’s cool to see how an A-frame can be so successful. Shows that a unique space really can make a big impact.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    OP
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hehe, don't get me wrong, I will not be building any A-frames anytime soon! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.