Chicago STRs: Underrated, Less Competitive, and Still Profitable

Chicago STRs: Underrated, Less Competitive, and Still Profitable

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 43 votes

Hey all — just wanted to share some quick thoughts from my experience running a short-term rental here in Chicago and why I think more people should be paying attention to the Midwest.

I’ve been house hacking a 2BR in-law unit in Portage Park (NW side, not touristy) for the past 2.5 years. It pulls in about $32k a year, covers most of my mortgage, and has been a great way to build wealth without having to go full “Airbnb mogul.” I also manage some Luxury ground up builds in Colorado, but this is my 'live for free' strategy.

Here’s why I think this kind of setup works really well here:

1. Chicago’s tough rules actually work in your favor
Chicago's short-term rental rules are strict — licenses, insurance, 2-night minimum, ect. Most important: in most cases it needs to be your primary residence (unless its in a larger building with less than 25% currently as airbnbs AND legal in the HOA). That knocks out a ton of out-of-town investors

A lot of hosts fake the “primary requirement” thing, but they’re technically breaking the rules. Since I actually live here and rent out the lower unit (which isnt technically another 'unit', I’m 100% compliant — and I’m not competing with a flood of illegal or high-volume operators. Way less saturation if you do it by the book. I will say it looks highly lucrative for the investors renting out 5/6BR homes with solid amenities, although legally dubious and not possible to launch multiple listings. 

2. Midwest pricing still makes sense
Compared to places like Florida, Texas, or Tennessee — where inventory is surging and it’s turning into a buyers market — Chicago’s still solid. Inventory is super low here, which is keeping upward pressure on prices. Reventure.app is forecasting about 5% appreciation in 2025, and we’re still in seller’s market territory. That stability gives me confidence in the long-term value of the property.

Plus, entry prices here are still reasonable, and the rental demand is strong enough that the numbers actually pencil out. That mix is getting harder to find.

3. There’s demand, even outside the “hot zones”
I’m not in downtown or a trendy area, but I still stay booked. I get tourists, business travelers, folks visiting family or coming in for events. It’s steady. Summers are obviously busier, but winter doesn’t completely die — I’ve learned how to price and plan for the seasonality.

If you’re thinking about getting into STRs and like the idea of house hacking or finding something low-key that still cash flows, I think Chicago (and the Midwest in general) deserves a look. I’m a local realtor alongside a property manage and help people find these kinds of setups — happy to connect if you’re looking into it.

Anyone else running STRs in less obvious markets? Would love to hear what’s working for you.

5Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 20 votes
1y

I own a place near the loop in Chicago and rent it on Airbnb when I'm not there. It does pretty well and stays pretty consistently booked, although I do see a drop in demand during the winter months. Being close to downtown as well as other venues that bring people in (United Center) means that it stays pretty consistent throughout the year.

Since I also have STRs in other parts of the country, I will say that being in a market that has more consistent demand throughout the year (less seasonality) is what really makes the difference. Lots of places only have a ~3-month booking window, but if you are able to get into an area that has continual demand or that has a dual-season (i.e. winter + summer) then I think you'll have a lot more success.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    There's always a bull market somewhere!  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    The Midwest is vast. Chicago is just a small part of it so things can really change from market to market.

    What works in Chicago might not work elsewhere.

    There are some great locations in the Midwest that can work. Broken Bow, OK is one but you like any investment, you have to buy it right.

    The severe restrictions in Chicago (plus crime) really make it less desirable unless you live there. Even then it can be hard judging by others' here that have been denied licenses even though they met the requirements.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    I own a place near the loop in Chicago and rent it on Airbnb when I'm not there. It does pretty well and stays pretty consistently booked, although I do see a drop in demand during the winter months. Being close to downtown as well as other venues that bring people in (United Center) means that it stays pretty consistent throughout the year.

    Since I also have STRs in other parts of the country, I will say that being in a market that has more consistent demand throughout the year (less seasonality) is what really makes the difference. Lots of places only have a ~3-month booking window, but if you are able to get into an area that has continual demand or that has a dual-season (i.e. winter + summer) then I think you'll have a lot more success.

    • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Greg Janes:

      I own a place near the loop in Chicago and rent it on Airbnb when I'm not there. It does pretty well and stays pretty consistently booked, although I do see a drop in demand during the winter months. Being close to downtown as well as other venues that bring people in (United Center) means that it stays pretty consistent throughout the year.

      Since I also have STRs in other parts of the country, I will say that being in a market that has more consistent demand throughout the year (less seasonality) is what really makes the difference. Lots of places only have a ~3-month booking window, but if you are able to get into an area that has continual demand or that has a dual-season (i.e. winter + summer) then I think you'll have a lot more success.


       Totally agree with this. Im a Chicago native moved to Salt Lake City. In SLC we get a lot more year round demand. It is nice to have consistent money coming in. Regulations are starting to tighten up here which I think will help our market very much

      How about the Cook county taxes though!! Ouch

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Daniel Bourdeau - thanks for sharing this information. As someone that lives in Chicago, this is very encouraging news. Glad to hear you're having success here and appreciate you spreading the good word about Chicago. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Appreciate you sharing @Daniel Bourdeau!  I think I saw you at the Chicago multi-family club on Monday, but didn't get a chance to say hi.

    I am considering firing back up our Airbnb, which we took off the market for a while...we are in a prime time area (Logan Square) and 5 5-minute walk from the blue line.

    You make some great points on restrictions making it more favorable for the actual operators and also about the slow and faithful midwest market.  With such a strong team here, I'm unlikely to invest anywhere else in the near future.

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    My alderman has a blanket prohibition on short term rentals. I asked him about excepting owner occupied single family homes, and he said it’s just too difficult to enforce. The cheaters have ruined it for everyone.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    The rules work in your favor, until they do not.  Its a moving target in cities like this.  This is obviously just my opinion and I am spoiled by Florida's state law stopping jurisdictions from enacting new laws or changing existing laws.  But happy you are finding success there! 

  • Victor SoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 193 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    Hey all — just wanted to share some quick thoughts from my experience running a short-term rental here in Chicago and why I think more people should be paying attention to the Midwest.

    I’ve been house hacking a 2BR in-law unit in Portage Park (NW side, not touristy) for the past 2.5 years. It pulls in about $32k a year, covers most of my mortgage, and has been a great way to build wealth without having to go full “Airbnb mogul.” I also manage some Luxury ground up builds in Colorado, but this is my 'live for free' strategy.

    Here’s why I think this kind of setup works really well here:

    1. Chicago’s tough rules actually work in your favor
    Chicago's short-term rental rules are strict — licenses, insurance, 2-night minimum, ect. Most important: in most cases it needs to be your primary residence (unless its in a larger building with less than 25% currently as airbnbs AND legal in the HOA). That knocks out a ton of out-of-town investors

    A lot of hosts fake the “primary requirement” thing, but they’re technically breaking the rules. Since I actually live here and rent out the lower unit (which isnt technically another 'unit', I’m 100% compliant — and I’m not competing with a flood of illegal or high-volume operators. Way less saturation if you do it by the book. I will say it looks highly lucrative for the investors renting out 5/6BR homes with solid amenities, although legally dubious and not possible to launch multiple listings. 

    2. Midwest pricing still makes sense
    Compared to places like Florida, Texas, or Tennessee — where inventory is surging and it’s turning into a buyers market — Chicago’s still solid. Inventory is super low here, which is keeping upward pressure on prices. Reventure.app is forecasting about 5% appreciation in 2025, and we’re still in seller’s market territory. That stability gives me confidence in the long-term value of the property.

    Plus, entry prices here are still reasonable, and the rental demand is strong enough that the numbers actually pencil out. That mix is getting harder to find.

    3. There’s demand, even outside the “hot zones”
    I’m not in downtown or a trendy area, but I still stay booked. I get tourists, business travelers, folks visiting family or coming in for events. It’s steady. Summers are obviously busier, but winter doesn’t completely die — I’ve learned how to price and plan for the seasonality.

    If you’re thinking about getting into STRs and like the idea of house hacking or finding something low-key that still cash flows, I think Chicago (and the Midwest in general) deserves a look. I’m a local realtor alongside a property manage and help people find these kinds of setups — happy to connect if you’re looking into it.

    Anyone else running STRs in less obvious markets? Would love to hear what’s working for you.

    Thanks for elaborating this. I feel as though combining STR with househacking is something all real estate investors (especially newbies) should consider. I’ve always Airbnbed extra rooms, spaces, basements, etc that I had in my primary residence. 
    Victor So Real Estate LLC517 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2025 · 125 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    Really solid post — love hearing real-world numbers, not just theories.

    I 100% agree the Midwest (and similar "overlooked" markets) is where smart money should be paying attention right now. Everyone’s been so obsessed with the big boomtowns (Florida, Texas, Tennessee) that they’re ignoring markets where fundamentals actually still make sense.

    You hit on a key point a lot of people miss: regulation creates opportunity if you're willing to play inside the lines. Chicago's strict STR rules basically gatekeep the space for people who actually know what they're doing. Same thing happening in places like Minneapolis and Madison, WI — heavy regulation but if you can operate legally, you win big because there's less competition and more pricing power.

    Also love that you called out the steady demand outside of the "Instagram famous" areas. That’s where real stability is built — you're not chasing weekend warriors, you're booking people who need a place. Big difference.

    Would love to hear more from you about seasonality strategy too — feels like that’s an underrated piece most new hosts underestimate when they jump into colder markets.

  • Lender · Chicago IL · Member since 2020 · 357 posts · 229 votes
    1y

    Really love this post! Thoughtful and high-value points - thanks for sharing your take.

    I live in Chicago and had a similar experience navigating regulations. I used to rent my extra bedroom/bathroom mid-term (32+ days) specifically to bypass the city's STR rules. Being in the prime South Loop near literally everything (CTA, Grant Park, Lake, buses, Loop, etc.) was definitely key – I stayed booked solid for over 2 years with almost no gaps. I suspect the strict STR regulations actually helped my MTR strategy, possibly by limiting the supply of shorter-term options and channeling demand towards slightly longer stays like mine in such a central spot.

    Separately, my experience managing a single-family home in Knoxville, TN (about 2 miles from downtown) offers another perspective. While my main focus there is MTR, I do use occasional shorter stays (STR) just to fill vacancies between my mid-term guests. What's interesting is, even though the house is adorably decorated (if I say so myself, LOL!), it's definitely not fancy and lacks typical 'party' amenities like hot tubs or game rooms. We're also not in a tourist hotspot like the Smokies.

    Because of this, our guests – even the shorter-term ones – tend to be very stable and respectful. They're usually larger families or groups of friends in town visiting local family, attending university-related events (medical school, football games), or here for youth sports tournaments. It seems the property style and location naturally filter for a different, more grounded guest profile compared to typical high-amenity vacation rentals geared towards tourists just looking for a fun time. It really shows how location, property type, and local rules all interact!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 43 votes
    1y

    @Tenzapa Wakombe @Greg Janes 

    Seasonality definitely is significant in Chicago. May-September are prime booking months, and outside it of that its really just weekend travelers. Still, I'm not afraid of the seasonality since the summer booking window can make enough to have it make sense. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.