Cost For Bedroom Furniture

Cost For Bedroom Furniture

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

How much do you spend on 4 basic bedroom pieces: headboard, dresser and 2 night stands? I want wood, struggle to find anything modern on FB etc and don’t like Ashley. I probably need a 12-step support group for Bassett Furniture addicts. 

2Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
9mo
Quote from @Jules Aton:
Quote from @Jon Martin:

There are nice wood headboards on home depot for ~$120. 

For night stands I just do end tables, no drawers. Had a guest leave a very sensitive item (I'll leave it at that) in one and of course, the following reservation had kids. Thankfully they returned for the item in time. For that reason I go drawerless from this point, it is not realistic for cleaners to consistently remember to check drawers. Bonus is that they are also cheaper and easy to assemble, right around $100 and often less. 

Dressers are the biggest challenge. Still haven't settled on one that checks all the boxes: 1) Already assembled; 2) deep enough drawers, at least 13" but preferably closer to 15", and at least 11" clearance when opened; 3)  Glides open smoothly with no squeaks or kinks; 4) Costs less than $1000. Almost seems like there is an agreement among big furniture companies to keep the cost of dressers artificially high. 

Good stuff, thank you. I have used bedside tables with drawers to leave ear plugs, phone charger, fan remote/batteries but great point about the possibility of cleaners not checking reliably and drawer-less being cheaper too. My dresser criteria is the similar although I am planning on using a quality bachelors chest in current property because a full size dresser kind of seems like overkill in STR? and I will be using a desk in this main bedroom.

I agree with the comment about avoiding drawers. Cleaners definitely won't check them every time and they are unnecessary. Most people are just looking for a place to rest their phone or other small items while they sleep.

If your bedrooms have a closet of decent size, I think dressers are unnecessary for an STR. I don't have dressers and have never received a complaint about it. I would consider adding one as a design element, but from a functional perspective I don't see the value, unless perhaps you lean more towards longer stays or mid term rentals. 
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    There are nice wood headboards on home depot for ~$120. 

    For night stands I just do end tables, no drawers. Had a guest leave a very sensitive item (I'll leave it at that) in one and of course, the following reservation had kids. Thankfully they returned for the item in time. For that reason I go drawerless from this point, it is not realistic for cleaners to consistently remember to check drawers. Bonus is that they are also cheaper and easy to assemble, right around $100 and often less. 

    Dressers are the biggest challenge. Still haven't settled on one that checks all the boxes: 1) Already assembled; 2) deep enough drawers, at least 13" but preferably closer to 15", and at least 11" clearance when opened; 3)  Glides open smoothly with no squeaks or kinks; 4) Costs less than $1000. Almost seems like there is an agreement among big furniture companies to keep the cost of dressers artificially high. 

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      There are nice wood headboards on home depot for ~$120. 

      For night stands I just do end tables, no drawers. Had a guest leave a very sensitive item (I'll leave it at that) in one and of course, the following reservation had kids. Thankfully they returned for the item in time. For that reason I go drawerless from this point, it is not realistic for cleaners to consistently remember to check drawers. Bonus is that they are also cheaper and easy to assemble, right around $100 and often less. 

      Dressers are the biggest challenge. Still haven't settled on one that checks all the boxes: 1) Already assembled; 2) deep enough drawers, at least 13" but preferably closer to 15", and at least 11" clearance when opened; 3)  Glides open smoothly with no squeaks or kinks; 4) Costs less than $1000. Almost seems like there is an agreement among big furniture companies to keep the cost of dressers artificially high. 

      Good stuff, thank you. I have used bedside tables with drawers to leave ear plugs, phone charger, fan remote/batteries but great point about the possibility of cleaners not checking reliably and drawer-less being cheaper too. My dresser criteria is the similar although I am planning on using a quality bachelors chest in current property because a full size dresser kind of seems like overkill in STR? and I will be using a desk in this main bedroom.

    • Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      There are nice wood headboards on home depot for ~$120. 

      For night stands I just do end tables, no drawers. Had a guest leave a very sensitive item (I'll leave it at that) in one and of course, the following reservation had kids. Thankfully they returned for the item in time. For that reason I go drawerless from this point, it is not realistic for cleaners to consistently remember to check drawers. Bonus is that they are also cheaper and easy to assemble, right around $100 and often less. 

      Dressers are the biggest challenge. Still haven't settled on one that checks all the boxes: 1) Already assembled; 2) deep enough drawers, at least 13" but preferably closer to 15", and at least 11" clearance when opened; 3)  Glides open smoothly with no squeaks or kinks; 4) Costs less than $1000. Almost seems like there is an agreement among big furniture companies to keep the cost of dressers artificially high. 

      Good stuff, thank you. I have used bedside tables with drawers to leave ear plugs, phone charger, fan remote/batteries but great point about the possibility of cleaners not checking reliably and drawer-less being cheaper too. My dresser criteria is the similar although I am planning on using a quality bachelors chest in current property because a full size dresser kind of seems like overkill in STR? and I will be using a desk in this main bedroom.

      I agree with the comment about avoiding drawers. Cleaners definitely won't check them every time and they are unnecessary. Most people are just looking for a place to rest their phone or other small items while they sleep.

      If your bedrooms have a closet of decent size, I think dressers are unnecessary for an STR. I don't have dressers and have never received a complaint about it. I would consider adding one as a design element, but from a functional perspective I don't see the value, unless perhaps you lean more towards longer stays or mid term rentals. 
    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      There are nice wood headboards on home depot for ~$120. 

      For night stands I just do end tables, no drawers. Had a guest leave a very sensitive item (I'll leave it at that) in one and of course, the following reservation had kids. Thankfully they returned for the item in time. For that reason I go drawerless from this point, it is not realistic for cleaners to consistently remember to check drawers. Bonus is that they are also cheaper and easy to assemble, right around $100 and often less. 

      Dressers are the biggest challenge. Still haven't settled on one that checks all the boxes: 1) Already assembled; 2) deep enough drawers, at least 13" but preferably closer to 15", and at least 11" clearance when opened; 3)  Glides open smoothly with no squeaks or kinks; 4) Costs less than $1000. Almost seems like there is an agreement among big furniture companies to keep the cost of dressers artificially high. 

      Good stuff, thank you. I have used bedside tables with drawers to leave ear plugs, phone charger, fan remote/batteries but great point about the possibility of cleaners not checking reliably and drawer-less being cheaper too. My dresser criteria is the similar although I am planning on using a quality bachelors chest in current property because a full size dresser kind of seems like overkill in STR? and I will be using a desk in this main bedroom.


      Believe me the idea of a drawer is great for exactly what you said and something I want to provide, but after that experience I won’t let it happen again. I’ve seen the same thing with newer hotel builds where the end tables are often built into the walls and have no drawers, likely for that same reason.

      I’ve also done bachelors chests as the nightstand to kill 2 birds but even then to find a quality item it’s tough and doesn’t save you much. I think it’s fine for a twin bed room. I’m realizing now for dressers I have to pay to play if I want it to both look nice and be functional, but that said I’m always on the lookout! 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9mo

    Check out Rooms to Go.

    They used to have s 0% interest deals frequently. 

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Check out Rooms to Go.

      They used to have s 0% interest deals frequently. 


       Rooms to Go has some nice pieces, actual wood and cheaper than I was looking at with Bassett but the estimated delivery date is 3rd week in March for multiple locations. Did it take 90 days for the furniture you have ordered? 

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Check out Rooms to Go.

      They used to have s 0% interest deals frequently. 


       Rooms to Go has some nice pieces, actual wood and cheaper than I was looking at with Bassett but the estimated delivery date is 3rd week in March for multiple locations. Did it take 90 days for the furniture you have ordered? 


       Its been many years since I got anything there so  not sure.

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    9mo

    Honestly, as an STR Designer, I use Wayfair. They have a lot of options. Opt for a platform bed, wood or metal bed that can support a lot of weight. Tend toward neutrals and if getting a fabric bed have it be performance fabric. As for other items — pick nightstands that are modern straight lines and a dresser that matches.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    I buy my beds on Amazon with a headboard. I use the 12 inch green tea cooling memory foam and a headboard. Cost is pretty inexpensive and I have received many compliments on the mattresses. I had a guest stay over the summer and they wanted to know where I purchased the mattresses. They bought them for there house. Only downside you have to put the furniture together. It is a pain, but you only have to do it once. If you’re out of state you can hire a company to install them. Might be able to get your cleaners or handyman to do it as well.

    On the dressers and night stands, it’s still a mix until I find the correct combination. I’ve bought from local discount furniture stores. Night stands hold up pretty well. I do buy ones with drawers. No issues, but I can see where it could come up. Dressers from discount stores not the best not long term.

    I have bought from rooms to go which is where I buy couches and some tables. Great quality, but you will pay for the quality. Never had any issues with furniture bough there.

  • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Jules Aton:

    How much do you spend on 4 basic bedroom pieces: headboard, dresser and 2 night stands? I want wood, struggle to find anything modern on FB etc and don’t like Ashley. I probably need a 12-step support group for Bassett Furniture addicts. 


    Ikea is always a good option.
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    I bought at Rooms to go last year. Some furniture took about 4-5 weeks. Like everything it just depends what they have in their warehouse.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9mo

    I have had really good luck on Craigslist, OfferUP and FB marketplace.

    I got Thomasville, Bassett, etc all for pennies on the dollar. Great stuff and hardly used.

    I do have dressers and nightstands in all the bedrooms. My cleaner checks them all. It takes me literally less than 2 minutes to check all of them in a bedroom. 

    For Ikea, I do have some of the Hemnes nightstands and one dresser. I did a poly finish for a natural look to compliment the wooden bed frame and done. 

    It does take some time to make things the way you want but you can save a ton of dough.

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I have had really good luck on Craigslist, OfferUP and FB marketplace.

      I got Thomasville, Bassett, etc all for pennies on the dollar. Great stuff and hardly used.

      I do have dressers and nightstands in all the bedrooms. My cleaner checks them all. It takes me literally less than 2 minutes to check all of them in a bedroom. 

      For Ikea, I do have some of the Hemnes nightstands and one dresser. I did a poly finish for a natural look to compliment the wooden bed frame and done. 

      It does take some time to make things the way you want but you can save a ton of dough.


       I definitely prefer wood, assembled furniture not just for the aesthetic but also durability. I’m not really finding any modern, light colored furniture on FB but will keep looking for a few weeks before buying new. The drawers ugh I don’t understand why cleaners can’t reliably check them but have found a used razor in bathroom drawer after a clean so I guess the double check system is necessary.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Jules Aton:

    How much do you spend on 4 basic bedroom pieces: headboard, dresser and 2 night stands? I want wood, struggle to find anything modern on FB etc and don’t like Ashley. I probably need a 12-step support group for Bassett Furniture addicts. 

    Honestly it depends on where you shop and what quality you want, but for basic solid wood bedroom pieces (headboard, dresser, and two nightstands) you’re usually looking somewhere in the ballpark of $1,500–$3,000 if you stick to mid‑range brands that aren’t super high‑end but are good quality, sometimes a little less if you find deals at local stores or floor models, and a bit more if you go for higher grade wood or custom stuff. I know exactly where you’re coming from with the struggle to find modern wood pieces without going full Ashley or super expensive––it’s why I usually end up checking out local furniture outlets, estate sales, or mid‑century modern stores rather than the big box places, and sometimes scoring a solid solid wood set used and refinishing it can end up being cheaper and exactly what I want. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      How much do you spend on 4 basic bedroom pieces: headboard, dresser and 2 night stands? I want wood, struggle to find anything modern on FB etc and don’t like Ashley. I probably need a 12-step support group for Bassett Furniture addicts. 

      Honestly it depends on where you shop and what quality you want, but for basic solid wood bedroom pieces (headboard, dresser, and two nightstands) you’re usually looking somewhere in the ballpark of $1,500–$3,000 if you stick to mid‑range brands that aren’t super high‑end but are good quality, sometimes a little less if you find deals at local stores or floor models, and a bit more if you go for higher grade wood or custom stuff. I know exactly where you’re coming from with the struggle to find modern wood pieces without going full Ashley or super expensive––it’s why I usually end up checking out local furniture outlets, estate sales, or mid‑century modern stores rather than the big box places, and sometimes scoring a solid solid wood set used and refinishing it can end up being cheaper and exactly what I want. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!


       Thanks and you are right on. I'm looking at just over $3,000 all in for sale Bassett Shoreline sea salt for chest, 2 night stands and headboard which I cleat on the wall. I did get a nearly new West Elm desk for $300 from FB that is really nice. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    9mo

    Modern + wood is surprisingly hard to source secondhand. I agree with the feedback leaning toward Rooms To Go and Wayfair — not perfect, but they tend to have the best mix of style, availability, and consistency without going full Bassett mode.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    My designer tends to use Wayfair, and commercial application wherever possibly i.e. frame/headboard, couches (anything sat or laid on).

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    In two bedrooms, I use these brass and glass open nightstands, they were $265 each from either West Elm.  I use the bottom shelf to hold a charging station, which works out great. They have held up great, still look new. They don't carry them anymore, but Wayfair has the exact ones for $166 now: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/everly-quinn-noah-reev...

    For dressers in 3 of my bedrooms, I bought vintage wood mid-century dressers from Salvaged, which used to be in Lewes, DE but moved to Milford, DE. They buy vintage real wood furniture and paint them, and do a great job.  Mine were all around $395-550 each. If you go to their warehouse or ask for some pics, you can even pick out some and they'll paint your choice of color. I didn't do that, I loved what they already had.  Check out their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/salvagedfurnitureparlour

    For beds, I bought from Home Depot online, 2 wooden ones (each around $800), and 4 black metal frame ones ($230-250).  The wood ones have a Zinus SmartBase heavy duty metal frame ($149) dropped down into them because I don't trust the wooden slats in a rental, too easy for guests to break.  

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    We tend to buy very bulky and bulletproof vintage/antique. But we have rustic cabins, and that motif won't work in all situations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.