New Year’s Eve Guests: Too Messy or Just Normal?

New Year’s Eve Guests: Too Messy or Just Normal?

New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes

Hi all, second post in a few days - I guess when it rains, it pours. I’m a new host (about a year and a half) and would really appreciate your advice.

I hosted a New Year’s Eve group of seven (two families with small kids). My regular cleaner is out of the country due to family emergency, so her son, who sometimes helps her clean, subbed in. He arrived and immediately sent photos saying the house looked terrible. I clean myself sometimes to stay on top of the property, and from what I can see, there’s no damage and to me the mess seems consistent with a group of seven.

A few notes:

* They didn’t run the dishwasher. To me, this isn’t a big deal - we ask guests to run it so cleaners can empty it, so leaving dishes there isn’t unusual. I let him know he could run a 60-minute quick cycle.

* One bunk bed mattress was taken down, likely for a child’s safety. To me, it would have been nice if they put it back, but it’s not a huge issue.

* He said it was too much to take the trash and recycling off the property in one trip because he has a tiny car, and that the amount was unreasonable. To me, it seems normal for a party of seven, but this is serious - we have bears, so leaving food in the house is a real safety issue.

I told him to leave the cleaning for me when I return next week and focus on getting the trash out, even if multiple trips. He said he promised his mom he would clean everything, so he’s continuing even though it will take longer. I’ll likely just pay him more than the usual cleaning fee since it’s more work hours than normal.

His mother (who I love and think is phenomenal) has written from Switzerland saying it’s the worst they’ve ever seen. This surprised me.

Based on the photos (which I’ll upload), would you consider this a problematic guest? If so, should I request additional cleaning fees and/or leave a lower review? One clarification - in the photo with dishes next to the sink, they are not dirty. They were washed by hand and left to dry, which we often see.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
381 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo

Doesn't look that bad to me honestly 

It sounds like the cleaner is being lazy if I'm honest. The job is literally to clean and they are complaining about cleaning too much. Do your job, clean, log your time with what you did. Doesn't seem that difficult to me 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 542 posts · 715 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Diana Mulvihill:

    Hi all, second post in a few days - I guess when it rains, it pours. I’m a new host (about a year and a half) and would really appreciate your advice.

    I hosted a New Year’s Eve group of seven (two families with small kids). My regular cleaner is out of the country due to family emergency, so her son, who sometimes helps her clean, subbed in. He arrived and immediately sent photos saying the house looked terrible. I clean myself sometimes to stay on top of the property, and from what I can see, there’s no damage and to me the mess seems consistent with a group of seven.

    A few notes:

    * They didn’t run the dishwasher. To me, this isn’t a big deal - we ask guests to run it so cleaners can empty it, so leaving dishes there isn’t unusual. I let him know he could run a 60-minute quick cycle.

    * One bunk bed mattress was taken down, likely for a child’s safety. To me, it would have been nice if they put it back, but it’s not a huge issue.

    * He said it was too much to take the trash and recycling off the property in one trip because he has a tiny car, and that the amount was unreasonable. To me, it seems normal for a party of seven, but this is serious - we have bears, so leaving food in the house is a real safety issue.

    I told him to leave the cleaning for me when I return next week and focus on getting the trash out, even if multiple trips. He said he promised his mom he would clean everything, so he’s continuing even though it will take longer. I’ll likely just pay him more than the usual cleaning fee since it’s more work hours than normal.

    His mother (who I love and think is phenomenal) has written from Switzerland saying it’s the worst they’ve ever seen. This surprised me.

    Based on the photos (which I’ll upload), would you consider this a problematic guest? If so, should I request additional cleaning fees and/or leave a lower review? One clarification - in the photo with dishes next to the sink, they are not dirty. They were washed by hand and left to dry, which we often see.

    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.


     Lol they neatly wrapped up all their garbage and they even washed the pots and pans? It looks like they left the house in great shape! Better than most guests!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Yes, it's messy.  But no, I wouldn't say this is excessive to the point that I'd get really upset.  And the worst your regular cleaner has ever seen?  She's lucky if that's the worst.  It doesn't look like anything is stained or ruined. And what they've left there doesn't look like it would take a lot of extra time.  If you had no bookings today, I would have let the guests have a late check out, so they would have had time to clean up, because it looks like they were rushed.  

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Not really bad.  Actually better than what you would expect from 7 people and New Year's Eve!

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Doesn't look that bad to me honestly 

    It sounds like the cleaner is being lazy if I'm honest. The job is literally to clean and they are complaining about cleaning too much. Do your job, clean, log your time with what you did. Doesn't seem that difficult to me 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8mo

    No damage just dirty so I would move on. 

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    I have an extremely low threshold for messes but this doesn't look bad especially considering it was 2 families over New Years Eve. Is it possible that he was overwhelmed because he was working alone and/or didn't feel like doing the job anyway? 

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      I have an extremely low threshold for messes but this doesn't look bad especially considering it was 2 families over New Years Eve. Is it possible that he was overwhelmed because he was working alone and/or didn't feel like doing the job anyway? 


       Yes I do think it's possible he felt overwhelmed and has never cleaned on his own before. Thank you for the perspective.

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    8mo

    @Mark Miles @Mike Grudzien @Lauren Kormylo @Jeremy Horton @John Underwood @Jules Aton 

    Thank you all so much for your replies. They’re incredibly helpful, but yikes, this is kind of what I was worried about. To be honest, it’s not the first time my cleaner has thought a place was messier than it seemed to me. She’s such an incredible and reliable cleaner overall, which is a challenge to find in my rural area, though definitely a bit of a perfectionist.

    My plan is to treat this as an unusual situation, consider it a family emergency, pay her son a little extra, and move on. Please let me know if you all have any other suggestions.

    I’m really grateful to you all for confirming that this isn’t out of the ordinary and that there’s no reason to ask the guests for anything extra or reflect it on their review.

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Diana Mulvihill:

      @Mark Miles @Mike Grudzien @Lauren Kormylo @Jeremy Horton @John Underwood @Jules Aton 

      Thank you all so much for your replies. They’re incredibly helpful, but yikes, this is kind of what I was worried about. To be honest, it’s not the first time my cleaner has thought a place was messier than it seemed to me. She’s such an incredible and reliable cleaner overall, which is a challenge to find in my rural area, though definitely a bit of a perfectionist.

      My plan is to treat this as an unusual situation, consider it a family emergency, pay her son a little extra, and move on. Please let me know if you all have any other suggestions.

      I’m really grateful to you all for confirming that this isn’t out of the ordinary and that there’s no reason to ask the guests for anything extra or reflect it on their review.


      “My plan is to treat this as an unusual situation, consider it a family emergency, pay her son a little extra, and move on. Please let me know if you all have any other suggestions.”

      Sounds like a smart business decision. There can be value in paying extra for the relationship especially when in an area that you know it would be difficult to find someone else. However in the future I’d probably either hire a sub or clean myself when she is away to avoid a repeat. 

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo

      “My plan is to treat this as an unusual situation, consider it a family emergency, pay her son a little extra, and move on. Please let me know if you all have any other suggestions.”

      Sounds like a smart business decision. There can be value in paying extra for the relationship especially when in an area that you know it would be difficult to find someone else. However in the future I’d probably either hire a sub or clean myself when she is away to avoid a repeat. 

      Great advice @Jules Aton, thank you! I will start looking for a backup person.

    • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Diana Mulvihill:

      @Mark Miles @Mike Grudzien @Lauren Kormylo @Jeremy Horton @John Underwood @Jules Aton 

      Thank you all so much for your replies. They’re incredibly helpful, but yikes, this is kind of what I was worried about. To be honest, it’s not the first time my cleaner has thought a place was messier than it seemed to me. She’s such an incredible and reliable cleaner overall, which is a challenge to find in my rural area, though definitely a bit of a perfectionist.

      My plan is to treat this as an unusual situation, consider it a family emergency, pay her son a little extra, and move on. Please let me know if you all have any other suggestions.

      I’m really grateful to you all for confirming that this isn’t out of the ordinary and that there’s no reason to ask the guests for anything extra or reflect it on their review.


       she may have just been backing/defending her son's opinion of it. He may not have shared pictures with her and as Jules mentioned was overwhelmed being by himself.

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo

      @Trent Reeve He did share the photos, but definitely I do think she was backing her son - understandably, he was doing us both a favor - and yes I do think he was really overwhelmed cleaning on his own for the first time in a situation where there was a full house/7 guests. My home often gets rented by couples and smaller groups than this. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Diana Mulvihill

    Hi Diana,

    I’ve been hosting for 6 years near the beach. Lots of two family stays with kids. I’ve seen a lot worse than this. I just had a stay where the guest didn’t throw towels in the laundry area and left dishes in the sink. Not a big deal to me. Cleaners sometimes are under a quick turnaround. Not sure if that was the situation with the son, but I still think it wasn’t that bad, but of course that is relative to what the norm is for that cleaner.

    Your cleaner should take care of it and if it takes extra time then you can decide whether to pay an extra fee.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    8mo

    I wouldn’t ding the guest or charge extra unless this clearly exceeded your house rules or required abnormal remediation. This feels more like a cleaner expectation mismatch than a guest issue. Especially with a sub filling in. I’d chalk it up to holiday turnover, pay the cleaner fairly for extra hours, and move on without penalizing the guests.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Francisco · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8mo

    Not excessive. A reasonable amount of mess for seven people and a reasonable amount for paid cleaners to take care of without an extra charge. I would stress the bear and food safety issues more for future guests though,  save yourself and guests from any future damages. 

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Lia McCoy:

      Not excessive. A reasonable amount of mess for seven people and a reasonable amount for paid cleaners to take care of without an extra charge. I would stress the bear and food safety issues more for future guests though,  save yourself and guests from any future damages. 

      Do you have any suggestions about how to stress the bear and food safety issue?

    • Real Estate Agent · San Francisco · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Diana Mulvihill:
      Quote from @Lia McCoy:

      Not excessive. A reasonable amount of mess for seven people and a reasonable amount for paid cleaners to take care of without an extra charge. I would stress the bear and food safety issues more for future guests though,  save yourself and guests from any future damages. 

      Do you have any suggestions about how to stress the bear and food safety issue?

       I'd frame it as a safety and prevention rather than just cleanliness. Mentioning that bears/wildlife will enter if food or trash is left in the open for a prolonged period and that wildlife damage can create safety and property concerns. It helps guests understand it’s about protecting them and the property. Try to inform without scaring the guests.

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Lia McCoy:
      Quote from @Diana Mulvihill:
      Quote from @Lia McCoy:

      Not excessive. A reasonable amount of mess for seven people and a reasonable amount for paid cleaners to take care of without an extra charge. I would stress the bear and food safety issues more for future guests though,  save yourself and guests from any future damages. 

      Do you have any suggestions about how to stress the bear and food safety issue?

       I'd frame it as a safety and prevention rather than just cleanliness. Mentioning that bears/wildlife will enter if food or trash is left in the open for a prolonged period and that wildlife damage can create safety and property concerns. It helps guests understand it’s about protecting them and the property. Try to inform without scaring the guests.

      Ah yes, I already do this. I have extensive notes on the trash can 'Pls note you are visiting an area with wild animals, no liquids or food remains in trash or recycling bin' (I have compost bin).

      This area is very rural, with no trash service and active wildlife, including bears. When I am here, I live a zero-waste lifestyle out of necessity. I think that visitors from places with curbside trash pickup (which is almost everyone) can't understand fully what the deal is, but I do try to convey it. 

      Thank you so much for the great advice!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8mo

    I have seen a lot worse than this. Lots of guests don't bother running the dishwasher. That and towels and sheets should be the very first thing the cleaner does so that those things are getting done while the rest of the place is cleaned up. I would not ding the guest on something like your pictures. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    8mo

    Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice. I really cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

    In the end, the son spent a full day cleaning the house, so I paid him almost double what I normally would. I am looking at this as a learning experience. His help truly did get us through a last-minute emergency over the Christmas holiday while I was out of town, and for that I am very grateful, but it also made it clear that having him fill in is not the right long-term solution.

    Based on several of your very thoughtful suggestions, my plan for now is to handle the cleaning myself until his mother returns. After that, I will definitely be lining up a backup cleaner so I am better prepared going forward.

    I am also really grateful for the reassurance that this situation was not out of the ordinary. That was my gut feeling too. I would never want to penalize a guest, and I always try hard to avoid leaving negative feedback or having any kind of disagreement with a guest unless it is truly unavoidable.

  • Member since 2025 · 242 posts · 98 votes
    8mo

    @Diana Mulvihill It sounds like a cleaner gap rather than a bad guest. I'd pay the son for his extra time to show support, but avoid charging the guest to maintain goodwill. Great management!

    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Kate Sanchez:

      @Diana Mulvihill It sounds like a cleaner gap rather than a bad guest. I'd pay the son for his extra time to show support, but avoid charging the guest to maintain goodwill. Great management!

      Thank you Kate! This is exactly what I did - and I'm talking with backup cleaners for the future.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    I suppose if they only used 2 beds and everything was left nearly spotless and it took them 1/2 the usual time to clean they would not have reported it to you and told you to pay them less.  If it were me I would check them because if you give a foot they'll take a mile.  This is not bad and if you set the standard now it will be better for your sanity in the future.

    We do sometimes pay extra when it is really bad to be fair but I do not think this qualifies IMO

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8mo

    Forget the date it occurred and if this was on March 5th Or November 1st what would your reaction be? People do not get a pass because its a holiday. I would treat it as how i treat every guest, if they did not follow the rules or do what they said they were going to do or it cost more to cleanup then there should be costs involved. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 62 votes
    8mo

    Hi Diana,

    This is more of a side note comment.

    It’s hard to tell from the photo if you have more than one trash can in the kitchen.

    Looks like your kitchen is big enough to accommodate another can or a bigger unit where one side is trash and the other side is for recycling.

    Just an idea to help guests not become so overwhelmed by the trash situation and where to place it all during their stay. It may help keep things more tidy for your cleaning crew too. Might minimize odors for bears too . ;-)

    Happy New Year!



    • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Monique P.:

      Hi Diana,

      This is more of a side note comment.

      It’s hard to tell from the photo if you have more than one trash can in the kitchen.

      Looks like your kitchen is big enough to accommodate another can or a bigger unit where one side is trash and the other side is for recycling.

      Just an idea to help guests not become so overwhelmed by the trash situation and where to place it all during their stay. It may help keep things more tidy for your cleaning crew too. Might minimize odors for bears too . ;-)

      Happy New Year!



      Thank you, this is a fantastic idea! I hadn't thought of it, I appreciate it.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.