Any experience with Fractional ownership?

Any experience with Fractional ownership?

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes

Anyone done this or looked into it?

This is a way to own something in areas where STR'S are banned and use for yourself.

I also have ownership in a  lakefront condo where STRs are not allowed. Selling of multiple deeded ownership might be an option. I got this place just for saving it from being lost from a tax sale. I just paid the back taxes for current half ownership.

I'd be interested in buying a fractional ownership in a luxury beachfront house in SC. Much better to be an owner than buying a timeshare. The ownership agreement would have to be iron clad though.

Fractional ownership in real estate allows multiple investors to co-own a high-value property (often luxury vacation homes or commercial assets) by purchasing a deeded share, typically 1/4 to 1/12, through platforms like Pacaso or Arrived. Owners share costs, maintenance, and potential appreciation while gaining proportionate usage rights, offering a lower entry barrier and passive income without full-ownership headaches. 

Arrived

Arrived

 +5

Key Aspects of Fractional Real Estate Ownership

Structure: Often organized via a Limited Liability Company (LLC), where each investor owns shares in the LLC that holds the title to the property.

Usage and Costs: Buyers usually get a predetermined number of days or weeks for personal use based on their share, and costs (repairs, taxes, insurance) are split proportionally.

Property Management: Professional management companies often handle maintenance, cleaning, and sometimes rentals, which removes the burden of direct management from owners.

Investment Benefits: Provides access to premium real estate at a lower price point, potential for rental income, and appreciation when the property is sold.

Difference from Timeshares: Unlike timeshares, you usually own an actual piece of the property's title (deeded), making it a real estate asset with potential for long-term equity appreciation. 

Pacaso

Pacaso

 +5

Pros and Cons

Pros: Lower entry cost, shared maintenance responsibilities, access to luxury properties, diversification potential, and potential rental income.

Cons: Limited personal usage time, potential difficulty in selling the share (liquidity risk), lack of complete control over property decisions, and ongoing shared expenses. 

DarrowEverett LLP

DarrowEverett LLP

 +4

Popular platforms facilitating these transactions include Pacaso for residential, and Arrived or Lofty for rental investment properties. 

Pacaso

Pacaso

 +2

What Is Fractional Real Estate Investing? - Arrived

With fractional ownership, you don't need a large down payment or perfect credit to enter the real estate market. You can purchase shares of the property for a ...

Arrived

Pros & Cons of Fractional Ownership Properties - August Collections

Affordability: The most significant advantage of fractional ownership properties is affordability. By splitting the cost among multiple owners, part-ownership o...

August Collections

What is fractional ownership in real estate? (+ pros and cons) - Pacaso

What is fractional ownership? Fractional ownership is when multiple people share ownership of a high-value asset, such as a vacation home. Each person owns a po...

Pacaso

The Definitive Guide to Fractional Ownership

How Fractional Ownership Works * The real estate property is usually purchased through a Limited Liability Company (LLC). * The property is then divided into eq...

The Fractional Group

Fractional ownership explained - Ownify

What is fractional ownership in a nutshell? Fractional ownership is a modern approach to ownership that allows individuals to purchase a fraction or small share...

Ownify

How to Finance Fractional Ownership - Pacaso

Fractional ownership allows multiple individuals to purchase property together and share usage rights. It's a common practice among people buying big-ticket ite...

Pacaso

Lofty: Fractional Real Estate Marketplace

You don't have to be a pro to invest like one. Get instant access to great property deals, in-depth analysis, and a community of wealth builders from around the...

Lofty

Fractional Ownership: Education is Key to Enjoying its Value

1) Lower Cost of Entry: Generally, the cost of entry is lower for fractional ownership than other real estate investments. A fractional investor can purchase as...

DarrowEverett LLP

Fractional Ownership 

While buying 1/8th or 1/12th share of a property enables you to enjoy vacationing in a luxury second home for less by sharing the property cost .

3Reply
582 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7mo
Quote from @Collin Hays:

This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?


Crimeshare on steriods. 
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Thank you for the breakdown.  You have me interested now.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?


      Crimeshare on steriods. 
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?


      Crimeshare on steriods. 
      LOL, but please explain.
      I think this would be great to own a portion 9f a beach house as long as there was an ironclad agreement in place. Id rather do this with people I know, but I'd be open to buying into an existing partial ownership.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?


       Yea without you being at the mercy of the timeshare company that is just making money off you. Most of those are just condos too.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      This might be an interesting thread!  Kind a timeshare concept?


      Crimeshare on steriods. 
      LOL, but please explain.
      I think this would be great to own a portion 9f a beach house as long as there was an ironclad agreement in place. Id rather do this with people I know, but I'd be open to buying into an existing partial ownership.

      https://www.pacaso.com/   check this out and there are many more like it.

      If I won the lottery I would buy  a cabin on THE World .. it is continually cruising the world and all cabins are owned by folks to no Carnavil cruise line riff raff  :) As Brad Mentioned about Tahoe you can find starter shares in modest condo's and you can find shares in multi million dollar homes. I am surprised no one has done this in Charleston SC Kiawah island type area.
    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

      If I won the lottery I would buy  a cabin on THE World .. it is continually cruising the world and all cabins are owned by folks to no Carnavil cruise line riff raff  :) As Brad Mentioned about Tahoe you can find starter shares in modest condo's and you can find shares in multi million dollar homes. I am surprised no one has done this in Charleston SC Kiawah island type area.

      Not sure exactly which island(s) but I know I have seen fractional ownership listings in that general area, maybe more so to the south? 

  • Member since 2021 · 47 posts · 42 votes
    7mo

    There are certainly some perks. Would need to see what the exit terms look like to get comfortable with something like that. I would hate to be forced to sell or buy out another investor at any point in time. I would also hate to have my ability to sell be handcuffed.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Grant Woodward:

      There are certainly some perks. Would need to see what the exit terms look like to get comfortable with something like that. I would hate to be forced to sell or buy out another investor at any point in time. I would also hate to have my ability to sell be handcuffed.


      in fractional ownership like being discussed liquidity is for sure and issue.. As well as financing.
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Grant Woodward:

      There are certainly some perks. Would need to see what the exit terms look like to get comfortable with something like that. I would hate to be forced to sell or buy out another investor at any point in time. I would also hate to have my ability to sell be handcuffed.


       I 100% agree with this.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7mo

    John,  these have been a thing for at least 30 to 40 years in Lake Tahoe ski areas. 

    And there are high end lux product out there were they buy lux props all over the world and you as a share holder can use any of them.

    the higher end ones in the ski areas many times come with a 4X4 in the garage house fully catered to your needs ahead of time.. 

    Then you have the WORLD cruise ship were you can buy a cabin for about 1mil.. 

    so yes this has been a thing for decades.. And also with private aircraft a lot of times less formal but very common to have partnerships in those as its rare anyone owner can fully utilize the plane.  I suspect there is the same thing for high end boats and yatchs as well.

    If its new to your area there in TN NC SC could work pretty well for many who want to own but want to spread the risk and know that only owners will be using the property instead of your vanilla STR folks.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Mmm I dont like the lack of control and liquidity but I can see the appeal for some people I suppose.

  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 714 votes
    7mo

    In the Tahoe area these are fairly common. Besides the financing, exit strategy, investment returns, insurance is a huge problem, especially in fire-prone areas like Lake Tahoe. The insurance is expensive, it's not a standard homeowner policy and this will keep your annual costs high. For the price, you can rent an STR multiple times or find a market where you can own the entire property.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

      In the Tahoe area these are fairly common. Besides the financing, exit strategy, investment returns, insurance is a huge problem, especially in fire-prone areas like Lake Tahoe. The insurance is expensive, it's not a standard homeowner policy and this will keep your annual costs high. For the price, you can rent an STR multiple times or find a market where you can own the entire property.


       Good points, but this would allow you to buy into a high end luxury house and the costs would be split amoung the owners.

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 984 posts · 643 votes
    7mo

    The biggest risks are usually not the property but misaligned partners, weak operating agreements and unclear resale terms.

    Make sure the agreement is tight, expectations are clear and there is a defined path for exit and dispute resolution. I would just make sure everything is iron clad before moving forward.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club580 Reviews
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    I think I have seen these advertised on HHI. It seems like a timeshare but without the management and structure. I don’t play well with others when it comes to large, important RE decisions but if you have close friends or family you don’t mind sharing with it would definitely provide more buying power. Keep us posted. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7mo

    Hey @John Underwood, I have looked at several of these types. Mountain ski places, lakefront etc.

    I could never bring myself to pull the trigger. Usually I see they are 1/12 ownership with 4 weeks. 

    I always worry about the other owners. Can I get dates when I want them? Does it all have to been setup ahead of time in a contract? 

    Also, these seem to take a long time to sell your share.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @John Underwood, I have looked at several of these types. Mountain ski places, lakefront etc.

      I could never bring myself to pull the trigger. Usually I see they are 1/12 ownership with 4 weeks. 

      I always worry about the other owners. Can I get dates when I want them? Does it all have to been setup ahead of time in a contract? 

      Also, these seem to take a long time to sell your share.

       That means you can find a deal if someone else has trouble selling.

      I think rotating owner weeks with some off season and some peak season would be fair.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7mo

    I have had fractional ownership for a short time. To me not a great investment. great if you want to use it but not great for investment. too much overhead and costs and we were in a community which did not have signficant appreciation

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      I have had fractional ownership for a short time. To me not a great investment. great if you want to use it but not great for investment. too much overhead and costs and we were in a community which did not have signficant appreciation


       If I were to do something like this it would be for personal use.

      You could possibly find a distressed property fix it up and sell fractional ownership and keep 1 share. So that you possibly make money and get 1 share for free. Then you would just have your share of taxes, insurance and any repairs which are also being split amongst the other owners.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      I have had fractional ownership for a short time. To me not a great investment. great if you want to use it but not great for investment. too much overhead and costs and we were in a community which did not have signficant appreciation


       If I were to do something like this it would be for personal use.

      You could possibly find a distressed property fix it up and sell fractional ownership and keep 1 share. So that you possibly make money and get 1 share for free. Then you would just have your share of taxes, insurance and any repairs which are also being split amongst the other owners.


      seems to me you could buy it in an LLC bring in a few members and have clear cut operating agreement. Or Tenant in common on the deed  but either way these are illiquid transactions.
      Not investments in my mind per se its for long term family or personal use. 
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    I think it could be a TERRIFIC investment for the sponsor of the arrangement. To the fractional investors, it would likely be a TERRIBLE investment.

    Be the sponsor, not the fractional investor.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7mo

    @John Underwood the original post looked like it was written by AI. But the responses seemed organic and genuine. So I will take the opportunity to respond. 

    Yes, I have been doing this shared ownership model in Arizona and in Costa Rica for the last 4 years. I have experienced both pros and cons from this.  Here are the things that I have learned from my experience of owning fractional short-term rentals. 

    Benefits:

    - Being an owner of some awesome places for less than what a usual down payment may be to purchase the home. 

    - Low seller financing debt on the property which lowers the debt service.

    - It feels like a high-end second home that wouldn't be an option to own on my own.

    - The ability to visit the property and enjoy it according to the time shared among the owners.

    - If ran well and optimized then the money brought in from the short-term rental bookings can cover the cost for running and maintaining the property and may bring in a profit for all the owners.

    Draw Backs

    - Lot of owners can mean lots of different personalities and if the operating agreement and partnership agreements are not detailed really well then there can arise disputes among the owners of how things are operating. 

    - Some owners with less experience or less financial interest in the property may be more outspoken and want it to run a certain way based on their feelings and not based on data or short-term rental research. 

    - There may be times where maintenance or improvements may require capital contributions and the partners may not like this.  But this isn't any different from other things like syndications. 

    - The financial returns may not be as high as other types of investments considering that it is more of a lifestyle investment than an investment without personal benefits.

    - It requires someone to manage the property or to have property management in place, but property management can be very expensive and it can take all of the profits or it can actually cost the owners monthly if the income from the rentals is not high enough. 

    Things that I have learned from my experience include:

    - Have a partnership agreement. We have an operating agreement but not a partnership agreement.  So my principle partner and I don't have defined roles and responsibilities and this has created conflict and frustrations in a couple of the deals.

    - Expenses are usually much higher than expected.  Calculate the expenses not as they are when you buy the property, but what they will likely be when you operate the property.  Many of our expenses were much higher as we improved the properties and added air conditioners to each room and added more structures.

    - It takes much more time than expected to run large vacation rentals. 

    Would I do it again after running the properties for 4 years. Yes. Even though there has been some conflicts and some of the properties have not performed as well as I thought at the beginning, I think that it has been a great experience and I have thoroughly enjoyed having ownership in these properties. Unfortunately, not everyone has enjoyed the experience the same way. Some of the partners are unhappy that the returns have not been higher or that it has not been run how they would like it to be ran. 

    So I would say that the partners that you bring in on the deal make a huge difference. Also, understanding upfront how it will be operated, the roles everyone will play, the length of time for the investment, and how the owners will exit the investment are all really important to set up at the beginning before anyone invests in the deal. 

    Reach out to me if you would like to discuss this subject further.  I'd be happy to talk with you more about it.

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 134 votes
    7mo

    I was interested in Pacaso when I first learned about it.  I looked into a couple of the properties, and from what I saw, the markups and fees are extremely high.  As @Collin Hays said, only the sponsor is making money.  If the sponsor is draining all the money and upside out of the deal, why bother buying?  Why not rent?  You can't make changes or improvements, you can't even leave your things at the property, so what's the point?

  • Alsip, IL · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    6mo

    I signed up with a company called Real Bricks. You buy shares in a property like stock.

    Once the company has the money the buy the property and rent it out. You the investor, get a dividend every quarter.

    It's for small investors who don't have large sums of money to invest the traditional way. I can invest as little as $100 minimum.

    I didn't do because of liquidity concerns. But would reconsider if my concerns were eased.

  • Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6mo

    Great thread — lots of real experience here. I work in real estate technology and wanted to add some context on where fractional ownership is heading, because a lot of the pain points mentioned here are actually being solved right now.

    The recurring themes I see: liquidity risk, partner disputes, unclear exit terms, high overhead, and the "Crimeshare" problem. These are all real — but they're mostly infrastructure problems, not problems with the fractional model itself.

    A few things changing the game for operators structuring these deals:

    1. Digital ownership records on public ledgers — Instead of paper LLC agreements that sit in a drawer, each owner's share gets recorded on a blockchain. Every transaction, every distribution, every ownership transfer is permanently logged. No disputes about who owns what percentage.

    2. Automated proportional distributions — When rental income comes in, systems can now automatically split it to each owner based on their share and create a full audit trail. No more quarterly spreadsheet arguments like @Shiloh Lundahl described.

    3. Transparent expense tracking — Every maintenance cost, capital call, and booking gets logged immutably. This directly addresses @Denise Supplee's point about needing ironclad agreements — the system enforces transparency, not just trust between partners.

    4. Easier share transfers — @Jay Hinrichs is right that these are inherently illiquid compared to stocks. But tokenized shares can transfer peer-to-peer much more simply than re-filing LLC docs and getting new members approved. It's not Robinhood-liquid, but it's a meaningful improvement over the status quo.

    To @Collin Hays's point about "be the sponsor, not the investor" — I actually agree. The real opportunity is in building the infrastructure that lets sponsors run fractional deals professionally. Give investors a portal where they can see their ownership percentage, distribution history, and property documents in real time. That transparency is what separates a legitimate operation from what Jay called "Crimeshare on steroids."

    For anyone actually structuring these deals: get a real operating agreement (not a template off LegalZoom), define exit terms before anyone writes a check, and look into platforms that give your investors real-time visibility. The tech exists now — the operators just need to use it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.