Looking to Connect With Experienced Co-Hosts to Learn and Potentially Collaborate

Looking to Connect With Experienced Co-Hosts to Learn and Potentially Collaborate

Realtor · FL · Member since 2020 · 225 posts · 101 votes

Hi everyone,

I'm a real estate investor and realtor based in the Orlando area and I've recently been focusing more on the short-term rental side of the business. I currently manage a few Airbnb properties and have been really interested in learning more about the co-hosting / STR management model and how others have grown it successfully.

One thing I’ve realized is that this business seems to grow fastest through collaboration and shared knowledge, so I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone would be open to connecting.

A few things I’d love to learn from others who are doing this at scale:

• How you found your first few co-hosting clients
• Systems you use for pricing, messaging, and automation
• How you structure management agreements and fees
• What helped you grow from a few properties to 10+

I’d also be happy to share what I’m seeing in the Orlando market and some of the strategies I’m experimenting with on the management side.

If anyone here is running a co-hosting or STR management business and is open to connecting or sharing insights, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, always grateful for the knowledge shared in this community.

1Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5mo

Are you licensed and insured to manage other people's properties?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    Are you licensed and insured to manage other people's properties?

  • Adrian Lammersdorf-SciollBusiness Member
    OP
    Realtor · FL · Member since 2020 · 225 posts · 101 votes
    5mo

    Interesting question... No license is required to do Airbnb co-hosting. That said, I am a licensed realtor, and the property management company I work with carries insurance. Airbnb also provides its own host protection coverage, and most property owners already have their own landlord insurance as well.

    The policy I use is specifically for my co-hosting operations, so it wouldn't directly benefit the owner, but it does protect my side of the business.

    Out of curiosity, do you currently host on Airbnb, or are you just keeping an eye on things here on BiggerPockets?

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:

      Interesting question... No license is required to do Airbnb co-hosting. That said, I am a licensed realtor, and the property management company I work with carries insurance. Airbnb also provides its own host protection coverage, and most property owners already have their own landlord insurance as well.

      The policy I use is specifically for my co-hosting operations, so it wouldn't directly benefit the owner, but it does protect my side of the business.

      Out of curiosity, do you currently host on Airbnb, or are you just keeping an eye on things here on BiggerPockets?


      Actually Adrian STR management in FL falls under DBPR - Division of hotels and restaurants. They regulate STR licensing whereas FREC deals with Real Estate Licenses and non transient rentals defined as over 6 month and 1 day.

    • Adrian Lammersdorf-SciollBusiness Member
      OP
      Realtor · FL · Member since 2020 · 225 posts · 101 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:

      Interesting question... No license is required to do Airbnb co-hosting. That said, I am a licensed realtor, and the property management company I work with carries insurance. Airbnb also provides its own host protection coverage, and most property owners already have their own landlord insurance as well.

      The policy I use is specifically for my co-hosting operations, so it wouldn't directly benefit the owner, but it does protect my side of the business.

      Out of curiosity, do you currently host on Airbnb, or are you just keeping an eye on things here on BiggerPockets?


      Actually Adrian STR management in FL falls under DBPR - Division of hotels and restaurants. They regulate STR licensing whereas FREC deals with Real Estate Licenses and non transient rentals defined as over 6 month and 1 day.


       Interesting, I haven't heard of that.  So do you just need to have a real estate license with DBPR or is it a separate thing? 

    • Adrian Lammersdorf-SciollBusiness Member
      OP
      Realtor · FL · Member since 2020 · 225 posts · 101 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:

      Interesting question... No license is required to do Airbnb co-hosting. That said, I am a licensed realtor, and the property management company I work with carries insurance. Airbnb also provides its own host protection coverage, and most property owners already have their own landlord insurance as well.

      The policy I use is specifically for my co-hosting operations, so it wouldn't directly benefit the owner, but it does protect my side of the business.

      Out of curiosity, do you currently host on Airbnb, or are you just keeping an eye on things here on BiggerPockets?


      Actually Adrian STR management in FL falls under DBPR - Division of hotels and restaurants. They regulate STR licensing whereas FREC deals with Real Estate Licenses and non transient rentals defined as over 6 month and 1 day.


       Interesting, I haven't heard of that.  So do you just need to have a real estate license with DBPR or is it a separate thing? 


       scratch that looked it up, you can manage you just can do certain things like manage money, and put management in your title.  Thats when a real estate license is needed.  Thats what I meant when I was saying it was not needed.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:
      Quote from @Adrian Lammersdorf-Scioll:

      Interesting question... No license is required to do Airbnb co-hosting. That said, I am a licensed realtor, and the property management company I work with carries insurance. Airbnb also provides its own host protection coverage, and most property owners already have their own landlord insurance as well.

      The policy I use is specifically for my co-hosting operations, so it wouldn't directly benefit the owner, but it does protect my side of the business.

      Out of curiosity, do you currently host on Airbnb, or are you just keeping an eye on things here on BiggerPockets?


      Actually Adrian STR management in FL falls under DBPR - Division of hotels and restaurants. They regulate STR licensing whereas FREC deals with Real Estate Licenses and non transient rentals defined as over 6 month and 1 day.


       Interesting, I haven't heard of that.  So do you just need to have a real estate license with DBPR or is it a separate thing? 


       Separate thing - Real Estate license falls under FREC and covers real estate sales and leasing over 6 months.  Division of Hotels and Restaurants regulate Short Term (Transient) Rentals.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Have you tried networking locally, in your market area, with local REIA groups, local Facebook Host groups, etc.?

  • Andrew GlissonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 135 posts · 95 votes
    5mo

    Manage close to 100 in Memphis… having in house cleaners and maintenance will help you scale and control quality. 

    LPS Short and Long Term Property Management
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.