Entering the STR game in South Padre Island

Entering the STR game in South Padre Island

Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 2 votes

We've focused on long term rentals in OH up to this point but we're interested in exploring STRs om South Padre Island. Anyone with experience in this area? Thinking it could see growth with the growing communities nearby. Appreciate all thoughts.

1Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike GrudzienPro Member
Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6mo

Try networking with local Facebook Host groups in the area.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 29 votes
    6mo

    I’d want to look really hard at seasonality before jumping in there. A market can look great in peak months and feel very different the rest of the year.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    Try networking with local Facebook Host groups in the area.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6mo

    I live in Texas, but would never consider a STR here unless it was some crazy good deal. The property taxes and insurance in Texas are outrageous. I own a home valued at around $500K, and my property taxes are almost $9000 per year. Insurance is another $5000.

    I looked REALLY hard at a large historic home here once about a year ago - I think I even gathered opinions on here - and the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.  Crazy high taxes and insurance.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    +1 for networking in a local host Facebook group.  

    I did get a referral from a client here in FL for a property on South Padre Island (seller) and the yield was not good, under 10%

  • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
    5mo

    Always confirm STR compliance and local permitting requirements, HOA and make enquiry form local hosts before moving forward. Best wishes!

  • Property Manager · Old Orchard Beach, ME · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 11 votes
    5mo

    What Andrew said, find a local host.  If you find someone local, such as a manager, they will be able to really dive in and tell you the seasonality and ups and downs to know about.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.