No good deed goes unpunished.

No good deed goes unpunished.

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes

We had some guests for Spring Break.

The day before checkin they said they couldn't arrive until the next morning and asked for a discount. Short version is I asked if $100 discount sounded fair? They were happy with that. I now $100 is a lot of money to some people and it didn't hurt me. Better chance of a 5 start review too.

Then the day when they were supposed to check in they still owed over $400.

They hadn't gotten a paycheck on time and didn't use credit cards. They had already paid over $1000 so far.

So I either I say sorry you can't checkin till you paid everything and your out $1000 or I say just pay the rest when your paycheck makes it to your bank. I did the latter.

4 days later they paid and all is good.

Today they leave us the first 4 star review we have had in like 4 years. We have maybe 3 of these total and over 150 5 star reviews.

They said the walk to the dock was steep. Most lake houses with decent water are built higher than the lake bank.

Wow, some people.

13Reply
620 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
5mo

You are kinder than me. This is a business and I stick to my policies. I also find that the people that ask for discounts or have any excuses (like I haven’t received a paycheck yet) are always the ones that are hard to please even when you go above and beyond. I’ve had a couple of those and that’s when I decided to stick to my policies. Also, I very clearly and early in my description outline that while we are beachfront, it is a long flat walk (10 mins) to the water’s edge. People always seem surprised!  Luckily a 4 star won’t make a difference with all your 5s. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    We had some guests for Spring Break.

    The day before checkin they said they couldn't arrive until the next morning and asked for a discount. Short version is I asked if $100 discount sounded fair? They were happy with that. I now $100 is a lot of money to some people and it didn't hurt me. Better chance of a 5 start review too.

    Then the day when they were supposed to check in they still owed over $400.

    They hadn't gotten a paycheck on time and didn't use credit cards. They had already paid over $1000 so far.

    So I either I say sorry you can't checkin till you paid everything and your out $1000 or I say just pay the rest when your paycheck makes it to your bank. I did the latter.

    4 days later they paid and all is good.

    Today they leave us the first 4 star review we have had in like 4 years. We have maybe 3 of these total and over 150 5 star reviews.

    They said the walk to the dock was steep. Most lake houses with decent water are built higher than the lake bank.

    Wow, some people.


     Yup. I had someone leave me 4 stars once because the house is 2 story, and even though they knew they were booking a two story and admitted so in the review having to climb the stairs was difficult for them because they had health issues. It was so dumb I didn't even bother challenging it with VRBO but instead left it up as an example of ridiculousness. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
    • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      We had some guests for Spring Break.

      The day before checkin they said they couldn't arrive until the next morning and asked for a discount. Short version is I asked if $100 discount sounded fair? They were happy with that. I now $100 is a lot of money to some people and it didn't hurt me. Better chance of a 5 start review too.

      Then the day when they were supposed to check in they still owed over $400.

      They hadn't gotten a paycheck on time and didn't use credit cards. They had already paid over $1000 so far.

      So I either I say sorry you can't checkin till you paid everything and your out $1000 or I say just pay the rest when your paycheck makes it to your bank. I did the latter.

      4 days later they paid and all is good.

      Today they leave us the first 4 star review we have had in like 4 years. We have maybe 3 of these total and over 150 5 star reviews.

      They said the walk to the dock was steep. Most lake houses with decent water are built higher than the lake bank.

      Wow, some people.


       Yup. I had someone leave me 4 stars once because the house is 2 story, and even though they knew they were booking a two story and admitted so in the review having to climb the stairs was difficult for them because they had health issues. It was so dumb I didn't even bother challenging it with VRBO but instead left it up as an example of ridiculousness. 

      I just received the same review even with it shown in the cover photo and descriptions.
    • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      We had some guests for Spring Break.

      The day before checkin they said they couldn't arrive until the next morning and asked for a discount. Short version is I asked if $100 discount sounded fair? They were happy with that. I now $100 is a lot of money to some people and it didn't hurt me. Better chance of a 5 start review too.

      Then the day when they were supposed to check in they still owed over $400.

      They hadn't gotten a paycheck on time and didn't use credit cards. They had already paid over $1000 so far.

      So I either I say sorry you can't checkin till you paid everything and your out $1000 or I say just pay the rest when your paycheck makes it to your bank. I did the latter.

      4 days later they paid and all is good.

      Today they leave us the first 4 star review we have had in like 4 years. We have maybe 3 of these total and over 150 5 star reviews.

      They said the walk to the dock was steep. Most lake houses with decent water are built higher than the lake bank.

      Wow, some people.


       Yup. I had someone leave me 4 stars once because the house is 2 story, and even though they knew they were booking a two story and admitted so in the review having to climb the stairs was difficult for them because they had health issues. It was so dumb I didn't even bother challenging it with VRBO but instead left it up as an example of ridiculousness. 

      I just received the same review even with it shown in the cover photo and descriptions.
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @John Underwood That is frustrating but honestly not surprising. When you make exceptions, it doesn’t always translate into better reviews. Next time, I would stick to firm policies on payment.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    This:  what starts out crazy, ends crazier.  

    I find it amazing that the people who expect the most are the very ones who cause the crazy.  Congrats on their departure and having their money in your pocket.

  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
    5mo

    A

    Most important part of the story: you received full payment. 

    A few four star reviews won’t set you back. You are a great host and all future guests will see that in the reviews as they read them. Fixed characteristics like the wall being steep are obvious in your photos and their review will be tossed out by serious shoppers. 

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    5mo

    You are kinder than me. This is a business and I stick to my policies. I also find that the people that ask for discounts or have any excuses (like I haven’t received a paycheck yet) are always the ones that are hard to please even when you go above and beyond. I’ve had a couple of those and that’s when I decided to stick to my policies. Also, I very clearly and early in my description outline that while we are beachfront, it is a long flat walk (10 mins) to the water’s edge. People always seem surprised!  Luckily a 4 star won’t make a difference with all your 5s. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Yeah that guy immediately goes on my DO NOT RENT and DO NOT EMAIL LIST! ;)

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Its unfortunate but I learned this lesson a long time ago, and stick to policy 100% of the time.  Im actually a little surprised they paid.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Ugh read title and was nodding yes before opening. It is unfortunate but the way it often goes. I’m also glad you got paid. 

  • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5mo
    Unfortunately it seems like those who ask for the most exceptions are some of the pickiest. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt you going forward. Maybe update the listing to address their complaint so it can’t be a surprise for future guests?
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I have about 99.9% 5 star reviews for 12 years.  One couple left a 4 star out of the blue.  I called them up (I was crushed) and asked what did I do wrong??  She flippantly answered: "oh, we never leave 5 star reviews...".  

  • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
    5mo

    Hmm, sometimes you can sense challenging guests from the very beginning. And interestingly, the more you try to accommodate them, the harder they can be to satisfy.

    That said, I’m glad it worked out in the end and you were able to get the balance paid. Case closed! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Was this on Vrbo?  Luckily the 4 star won't skew your average enough to lose Premier Host.  Sometimes people really suck.  I make sure guests make the second payment by 30 days prior.  You're more trusting than I am!  I also have a fridge magnet that explains how important 5 stars is to Airbnb and Vrbo.  I think that helps with ratings, because then they know 4 stars is not just an opinion, it actually hurts us.  I don't think guests are aware of that otherwise.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      Was this on Vrbo?  Luckily the 4 star won't skew your average enough to lose Premier Host.  Sometimes people really suck.  I make sure guests make the second payment by 30 days prior.  You're more trusting than I am!  I also have a fridge magnet that explains how important 5 stars is to Airbnb and Vrbo.  I think that helps with ratings, because then they know 4 stars is not just an opinion, it actually hurts us.  I don't think guests are aware of that otherwise.


       What's your fridge magnet look like? Did you make it yourself?

      Sounds like a great idea.

    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      Was this on Vrbo?  Luckily the 4 star won't skew your average enough to lose Premier Host.  Sometimes people really suck.  I make sure guests make the second payment by 30 days prior.  You're more trusting than I am!  I also have a fridge magnet that explains how important 5 stars is to Airbnb and Vrbo.  I think that helps with ratings, because then they know 4 stars is not just an opinion, it actually hurts us.  I don't think guests are aware of that otherwise.


       What's your fridge magnet look like? Did you make it yourself?

      Sounds like a great idea.

      It's from Etsy, here https://www.etsy.com/listing/1180679049/short-term-rental-ra...
      It looks just like the pic, very nice and classy. I got the 4" by 4".  Put it at eye level on the fridge.  With this, the bonus is that I never have to ask for reviews, and they almost always review me. I have all 5 stars so far.  

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo

       I've had these for a while. You might've been who posted the link a while back. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

       I've had these for a while. You might've been who posted the link a while back. 


       It probably was me!

  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 29 votes
    5mo

    Ouch. That's a rough combo. Hard not to feel like flexibility just invited more problems here.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    You did your best and it won't really matter in the long run.

    Thanks @Lauren Kormylo for that link. I am going to order one!

    The only review we got was last year at a 3 star with no explanation. It was because they didn't get a discount out of me at booking time. Their communication was mediocre and they never complained about anything.

    Boom 3 stars.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    As a customer, I always check the less-than-5-star reviews - and I expect a mix of BS and legitimate complaints. Sometimes the complaints are laughable, but still gives me some insights. Generally, as long as it's above 4.5 on average I don't care

  • Danae PitcherBusiness Member
    Realtor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 61 votes
    5mo

      @John Underwood  
    In my opinion, you did the right thing by granting the latitude for the payment. I guarantee, had you not, they would have left the same or worse review. You can rarely go wrong by doing what you feel is right, even if it doesn't always translate into the proper gratitude back.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      OP
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Danae Pitcher:

        @John Underwood  
      In my opinion, you did the right thing by granting the latitude for the payment. I guarantee, had you not, they would have left the same or worse review. You can rarely go wrong by doing what you feel is right, even if it doesn't always translate into the proper gratitude back.


       You and I are apparently in the minority on cutting people slack.

      I have enough money where I can bend the rules when needed even if I make less money.

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Danae Pitcher:

        @John Underwood  
      In my opinion, you did the right thing by granting the latitude for the payment. I guarantee, had you not, they would have left the same or worse review. You can rarely go wrong by doing what you feel is right, even if it doesn't always translate into the proper gratitude back.


       You and I are apparently in the minority on cutting people slack.

      I have enough money where I can bend the rules when needed even if I make less money.

       Agree with you and @Danae Pitcher that attempting to be accommodating and thoughtful is about your moral fiber not the person's gratitude or lack thereof. I appreciate that you considered $100 can be a big deal to some families and think it was a kind gesture. Although I have been bitten I have also felt good about doing the right thing probably more often than not. In the cases where things don't go well I will attempt to avoid a similar situation in the future although other than ensuring guests have paid in advance I wouldn't have done anything differently in this instance. 

    • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Danae Pitcher:

        @John Underwood  
      In my opinion, you did the right thing by granting the latitude for the payment. I guarantee, had you not, they would have left the same or worse review. You can rarely go wrong by doing what you feel is right, even if it doesn't always translate into the proper gratitude back.


       You and I are apparently in the minority on cutting people slack.

      I have enough money where I can bend the rules when needed even if I make less money.


       Im also pretty lenient to an extent, and it’s actually saved some bad reviews in the long run. Sometimes people are impossible to please, be fortunate It was just a 4 star. 

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 134 votes
    5mo

    It's almost always those asking for a discount or exception that cause the trouble.  We recently had someone book then decided they weren't coming into town until the next day so they wanted the first day taken off and refunded from the reservation, which we did.  The day before check-in they requested a 9AM check-in!  Haha.

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      It's almost always those asking for a discount or exception that cause the trouble.  We recently had someone book then decided they weren't coming into town until the next day so they wanted the first day taken off and refunded from the reservation, which we did.  The day before check-in they requested a 9AM check-in!  Haha.

      Unbelievable and yet not. :( 
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    Keep doing your good deeds. Yes, some are punished, but most are appreciated. Some can even be life-changing.

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    5mo

    I feel this one. Reviews can be brutal, and sometimes there’s just no “winning” with certain people.

    From both the long term and short term rental side, it’s honestly very hard to prevent every negative review. Some guests and residents just don’t see the full picture, or have expectations that aren’t realistic. That doesn’t mean you’re doing anything wrong.

    The best operators use it as feedback, take what’s useful, and keep moving. The worst thing you can do is let one review throw you off your game. Good luck & happy investing! 

    Stay the course and bury it with great experiences. Consistency over time always wins. A single bad review gets lost when it’s surrounded by a strong track record.

    Also, the fact that you care enough to ask and improve says a lot. Most people don’t. That alone puts you ahead.

    Keep doing what you’re doing.

    RentWerx Property Management4.73304 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.