Advice for buying 2nd vacation rental property

Advice for buying 2nd vacation rental property

Investor · Ponte Vedra Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 5 votes

Over the past 15 months, I have fallen in love with the Vacation Rental business. We stumbled into it by purchasing a second home as an investment. I had heard about people renting their second homes to help cover some of the carrying cost. I figured if I could cover even half of the carrying cost, I'd be thrilled. Our property is in the mountains of Sapphire, NC and our brand is Once Upon a Stream. 

In our first full 12 months, we grossed about $50k and our carrying cost is about $20k per year. My Cash on Cash return was more than 20%. So needless to say, I'm ready to do it again and again and build a portfolio of vacation rentals.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to fund the #2 property and also, where should I go next? I'm assuming I'll need 20% to put down but that may be a challenge. It will also be challenging to satisfy traditional lending guideines around debt to income restrictions and other such guidelines. I also would prefer to purchase the 2nd property through an LLC (for liability protection) but I'm not sure how you do that without any business credit?

Anyone have advice for me or a good story to tell about your experience in a similar situation?

Thank you!

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
9y

@Michael Greenberg how do you deal with the lender's ability to call the loan, when you quit claim the property from personal to LLC?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
    9y

    Great job Travis. You had the eye for the location. 

    Posting to follow the conversation.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    9y

    Hi @Travis Eckert,

    Yes, likely 20% or more is going to be required and your interest rate will be higher as well. I buy my properties personally the quit claim deed them to my LLC. Pretty straight forward but you might want to check with the local municipality in Sapphire (county) for particular requirements.

    Nice returns.  I too accidentally ended up in the business and it is indeed a good one.

    Best of luck!

    Mike  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Why not do just what you've done and build up a nice portfolio in that area?
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg how do you deal with the lender's ability to call the loan, when you quit claim the property from personal to LLC?

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Lefeuvre It is not an issue with my lender for a single member LLC.

  • Vancouver , Bc · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    I'm in the same situation looking for more properties in different states. Currently have homes in Scottsdale Arizona. Looking in California next and possibly Florida, Hawaii and other tourist destinations.
  • Real Estate Agent · Jupiter, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Great investments guys! If you are looking in Florida, the hot spots for investment properties ranging from West Palm Beach to Port St. Lucie. I have clients looking all of the time. Message me if you are interested!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Travis Eckert Your next spot? If you could find a nice deal a little further north near Asheville, you'll get the inflow of the Biltmore Estate visitors pretty much all year round. That and the general Blue Ridge / National Park crowd.

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Hi Travis - I normally sell multifamily all over Florida, but I know of some unique opportunities in Orlando - less than 10 minutes from Disney.  Great short term market here. I will connect with you, if that's ok? 

    Thanks, 

  • Campbell, CA · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi @Alim Abrahim, could you share the details about the opportunities in Orlando you mentioned? I am looking at that area too for vacation rental

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.