Votes
Andy O'Neal
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Approaching a Property Manager About Leasing for Airbnb

Andy O'Neal
  • Washington, DC
Posted Oct 4 2017, 13:38

I'm looking to buy a property in Baltimore use as a short-term rental full time via Airbnb. While working through the slower parts of the purchase process (financing through a small credit union), the thought occurs to me - Why not see if I could rent a home or two and do the same thing?  

I've read some posts here about owners angered by their tenants doing Airbnb on the sly. I understand. That's not what I'm after. I want to do this totally on the up-and-up with PMs and/or LLs being totally aware of my intentions.

I take for granted that landlords/PMs are going to be predisposed to reject use as a STR - especially full time.

What are some good ideas about how to approach landlords or their reps and assuage their worries?

My instincts say I should be very forthcoming - not even asking for a viewing of a listing until I've come clean about my Airbnb plans. 

I'll also assure - and even encourage the LL to put into the lease - that I will have a STR-tailored commercial insurance policy that will supersede homeowners insurance. (Propoer Ins, underwritten by Lloyds seems like the gold standard here.)

I would also be willing to put down 2 months rent as a deposit (max allowed in MD, I believe, and double the standard). 

I can also pay more, say 10% or even 15-20%, more than current list. In most cases, that is still will below the initial listing amount from when the properties went on the market in May, June or July.

I'm also only planning to approach on properties that have been vacant for 5+ months. The Baltimore market is slower than a lot of others and a lot of big apartments are coming on line. There appears to be diminishing demand for the 4 bedroom townhomes that I'd prefer.  

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas or practices that have worked in the past.

Loading replies...