That sick feeling when you're just about to begin

That sick feeling when you're just about to begin

Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes

BP colleagues,

My husband and I are embarking on our first SFH short term rental that is 4 hours away from us in a semi-rural area of Texas. I've posted before asking for advice on if we should go forward with short term or long term. After weighing our options, we're going to try the short term route first and then have a long-term tenant as a Plan B.

I know you can relate when I say that I've got that sick/excited feeling about it because we are nearing the closing date and I've started my marketing plan for it.  People are starting to notice our little cabin! 

Certain things are in limbo.  Foundation repair, redecorating the interior, and photography.  I'm getting all my ducks in a row and I'm doing all I can in the time I'm not working my W2 job, being a mom, and wife.

I'm hitting my max capacity for learning different strategies, hearing tips of the trade, etc.  You know what I mean?  And I'm starting to feel like it will be a failure.  I know this is all in my head.

I've only posted pictures of the exterior which we just got re-stained (its a true, dry stacked log cabin) and it looks fabulous.  People are starting to respond inquiring about certain dates.  I'm so pleased!  I just want to deliver #allthevalue I can and I want it to be perfect.  You feel me?

So, instead of going 200% and burning out, what should I focus on most?  Keyless entry or sheets?  New mattresses or new couches? Website/FB or Airbnb/Homeaway?  The entire interior needs to be revamped and I'm offering discounted rates for those who are willing to tolerate the outdated state of the cabin as it currently sits.  I'm ready for it to start bringing in money.  I'm also looking at the calendar of events for the local area to front-load guests who may visit for specific reasons.  

I'm in this for the long haul because the cabin is a family heirloom.  Thanks for listening.

3Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Also take @Luke Carl up on his offer - I did when he offered it to me, and I learned a ton!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe  Here’s one of mine. It’s 550 sq feet and I have 50 picture. 

    https://abnb.me/B5d7PcQhUQ

  • Rental Property Investor · Kelowna, British Columbia · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe ! Congrats for pulling the trigger ! 

    We own and have been running 2 Airbnb Properties for about 4 years so please feel free to ask questions

    Cheers

    Edison 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chatham, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe you have a treasure trove of good advice here. 

    @John Underwood    @Luke Carl   @Julie McCoy  are all on point. I would add , go with as much smart home tech as you can. Wifi lock, front camera, wifi thermostat. Since the property is a family heirloom, it will certainly give you piece of mind from far away.

    Definitely get commercial/STR insurance to replace your homeowners policy.

    I furnish with thrift store finds, It gives a higher end look,greater durability with a low price point. It takes a little more effort but you will get a bigger payoff than IKEA type stuff. Look to see if Habitat for humanity has a "Restore" near you.

    List on Homeaway and airbnb, over time you will see which is more successful in your area and which is your personal preference. The common thread is photos and reviews, Bend over backwards to build your reputation with those early reviews. I list a bit below market when I start a property and shamelessly solicit 5 star reviews. My post stay message to a guest says something like ,"we hope hope you enjoyed your stay and that we have done enough to earn your 5 star review"

    Good luck, It's a great business.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    We got our first confirmed reservation!!!  Thank goodness its in April!  We've got some work ahead of us!

    @Luke Carl   @Mike V.  @Julie McCoy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.