Do you provide linens? Pros/cons to both?

Do you provide linens? Pros/cons to both?

Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes

I was just under the assumption (like a hotel) that we would provide the linens but I spoke with some local owners this weekend and every place in the complex requires the guest to bring their own. This would make the process (turnover) much easier/faster but I feel you then loose that experience. What are you thoughts on this? The property will be a summer vacation rental, mostly rented by the week.

0Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

From the perspective of a user of short term rentals, everything from short 2-night stays (~$500) in small condos to over a week stays in amazing beach front homes ($10,000), I would not stay in a place that doesn’t provide linens. 

I don’t own enough linens for all the beds in the places I book, and - even if I did - who wants to carry all that around with them when they travel. I’m surprised that’s even a thing. I’ve never seen that on any of the listings I’ve come across.

Anyway, just my two cents. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Maybe 2% of my renters bring their own linens, and I've rented to over 1400 people.  One of my phrases is "You need to bring your clothes and your groceries, everything else is in the house."

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    We provide everything at our Lake House, including paper products, sheets (beds made) towels, beach towels, floats, lifejackets, kayaks, paddle boat, canoe, coffee, spices etc.

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    That's what I thought, I'm amazed that nobody does it (in this complex), or if they do they charge an extra $100/week for it. We did notice that a lot of places on Homeaway (or similar sites) don't include them but pretty much every AirBnB listing includes them. Different expectations? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel I'm always shocked when renters ask me if they need to bring their own linens, because as far as I'm concerned, I'm providing everything (and more) you'd find in a hotel room (well, I don't provide shampoo/conditioner).  That's the experience I want to provide my guests.  But it does seem to be true that that is not the expectation in certain areas/in certain buildings.  

    I assume the building is handling your turnover and offers a linen service if they're charging $100/week for it?  Or are you expected to purchase the linens and they're charging you that much for laundry?  If the former, you can try it for a season and see if it gives you an edge... you could always stop doing it later.  If the latter, think about if the investment in buying the linens is worth the experiment.

    Personally, as a host I'd hate for my guests to fail to read something, then show up and go "Where are the sheets?" and as a guest I'd hate to haul linens in my suitcase, but clearly that's how it goes in some places.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    From the perspective of a user of short term rentals, everything from short 2-night stays (~$500) in small condos to over a week stays in amazing beach front homes ($10,000), I would not stay in a place that doesn’t provide linens. 

    I don’t own enough linens for all the beds in the places I book, and - even if I did - who wants to carry all that around with them when they travel. I’m surprised that’s even a thing. I’ve never seen that on any of the listings I’ve come across.

    Anyway, just my two cents. 

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @Ryan Detzel I'm always shocked when renters ask me if they need to bring their own linens, because as far as I'm concerned, I'm providing everything (and more) you'd find in a hotel room (well, I don't provide shampoo/conditioner).  That's the experience I want to provide my guests.  But it does seem to be true that that is not the expectation in certain areas/in certain buildings.  

    I assume the building is handling your turnover and offers a linen service if they're charging $100/week for it?  Or are you expected to purchase the linens and they're charging you that much for laundry?  If the former, you can try it for a season and see if it gives you an edge... you could always stop doing it later.  If the latter, think about if the investment in buying the linens is worth the experiment.

    Personally, as a host I'd hate for my guests to fail to read something, then show up and go "Where are the sheets?" and as a guest I'd hate to haul linens in my suitcase, but clearly that's how it goes in some places.

    I 100% agree. I think the complex we're in a lot of the rentals are owners who are just renting a few weeks a year to make money or fill it when they can't be there and because of this they don't have extra sheets they want guests using. There is no official cleaning crew so if you provide linens you're responsible for cleaning and swapping which would be difficult and time consuming for the cleaners. We're currently thinking that we'll provide a months worth of linens to the cleaners and they just swap, that way they don't have to do laundry but guests get linens provided for their stay. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel What exactly is the $100/week charge for, then?

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Wow, so I just went through "comps". 2 provide linens, 4 say bring your own, 2 don't say anything about it. I also noticed two of the places say to bring your own soap and paper products. I don't think it will be hard to stand out from the crowd I just hope we also don't get grouped in with them. I also noticed if you rent through the association pool that they say guests are to provide their own linens, so this is probably why most work this way by default.

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @Ryan Detzel What exactly is the $100/week charge for, then?

    Probably just the owner giving an option. It's the only one I've seen even giving the option, most just say no linens. I'm guessing it's an inconvenience charge?

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Detzel:
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @Ryan Detzel What exactly is the $100/week charge for, then?

    Probably just the owner giving an option. It's the only one I've seen even giving the option, most just say no linens. I'm guessing it's an inconvenience charge?

     Oh, I was confused, I thought that was a charge from the BUILDING.  LOL  But it's something another owner is offering.  Got it.

    Since the complex isn't providing the cleaners, you could always look into if there's a local cleaning service that also provides linens or works alongside a linen service. It's true laundry is the bane of cleaning a STR, and handling it it largely subject to how the cleaner is prepared to deal with it. The month's supply isn't a bad idea, but what happens when that runs out? And do you have a place to keep the spare sheets locked away from guests? Because if not, someone will decide they're available for use :p

    Personally, my cleaners do the laundry at their home.  I have 3 full sets of linens, so one's in the wash, one's on the beds, and one is spare.  

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Yeah, there is an attic and a locked closest, so we could store them right in the house. 

    We're hoping we could get the cleaners to take them and clean them but we could always go up every two weeks (hour away) and swap them to do them at our house too. This is going to be a learning process for sure.

  • Kettle Falls, WA · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    I think this tends to be a regional thing. I've heard of certain beach-resort areas, for example, where it's customary for guests to bring their own.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    We provide all the sheets, towels (both bath and kitchen) as well as toilet paper (one extra roll per bath), paper towels (one extra in the pantry), napkins (fill the holders after each guest), and I also have 3 shelf bins with extra sheets for each bed, just in case. Those are some weird sateen weave Tencel sheets I tried out. 

    We also have little baskets with 1oz shampoo/conditioner x 2 and 2 small soaps in each bath. They cost just a couple of cents each in bulk and are a good starter for guests.

    The kitchen is load with spices for baking, cooking and grilling. I have a small peanut butter and jelly in there, pancake syrup, small pancake mix, a pack of pasta and jar of sauce etc. Lots of little things just in case. 

    We are quite a ways out from town. The closest big supermarket is about 18 miles away so I wanted to make sure that if the guests forgot anything, there was a good chance it was there. Just enough to make a meal for a late night arrival.

  • Financial Services · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel

    I always hate showing up at an Airbnb and there not being a sheet on the bed... just a comforter. Not very sanitary. It was not advertised there would not be linens either.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    I believe Airbnb requires Linens.  I'm not sure about HomeAway .

    Definitely a regional thing. I saw a survey of over a thousand vacation rental owners previously, a small percentage do not provide Linens

    I am planning soon to offer a budget option where they must pay cash, bring your own Linens, a couple other things and they can get 10% off.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    As someone who uses AirBnB as a guest, I would be furious if I arrived to a home that did not have sheets, towels, pillowcases, etc. Frankly, I'm always a touch annoyed when I have to strip the beds and start a load of laundry at a place where I am also being charged a cleaning fee. You can bet I'd leave a very low review if this was not very clearly communicated to me in advance. I don't travel with sheets.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    No sheets used to be typical on VRBO weekly vacation rentals we went to but it is less so now although it is very location dependent. There are services that will provide the sheets and towels in our area and deliver them as well as beach items so that may be what the $100 charge is for.   It is a bit of a pain if you travel long distances to bring your own sheets but I have done it as a consumer. I have been disappointed in the sheets provided from time to time.  As for stripping the bed,  I don't mind because it has helped me a couple of times to find things.  I think if you have the mindset you are replacing a hotel no sheets seems weird. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Ocean City MD is one resort city where renters are expected to bring their own sheets, towels, toilet paper, soap, and other consumables. It’s been that way for decades, before AirBnB and VRBO existed. The real estate companies still rent that way, although I see some AirBnB hosts offering to rent out linens for an extra charge. I believe they have to do that to become a SuperHost.  I’m staying in a million dollar plus condo there this summer, and I have to bring my own sheets, etc. 

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 95 votes
    7y

    We stock our vacation rental with multiple sets of linens, as accidents do happen.  This allows the vacationer to quickly change the sheets, & not be interrupted.  The cleaning crew washes both sets upon checkout.

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Detzel:

    I was just under the assumption (like a hotel) that we would provide the linens but I spoke with some local owners this weekend and every place in the complex requires the guest to bring their own. This would make the process (turnover) much easier/faster but I feel you then loose that experience. What are you thoughts on this? The property will be a summer vacation rental, mostly rented by the week.

     This is a pretty awesome thread - interesting to hear about the different conventions in dft locations. Just remember though - just bc “it’s always been done that way here” doesn’t mean you can’t innovate & stand out from the crowd  which can result in more bookings & higher revenue

  • Wilmington, MA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric P.:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Detzel:

    I was just under the assumption (like a hotel) that we would provide the linens but I spoke with some local owners this weekend and every place in the complex requires the guest to bring their own. This would make the process (turnover) much easier/faster but I feel you then loose that experience. What are you thoughts on this? The property will be a summer vacation rental, mostly rented by the week.

     This is a pretty awesome thread - interesting to hear about the different conventions in dft locations. Just remember though - just bc “it’s always been done that way here” doesn’t mean you can’t innovate & stand out from the crowd  which can result in more bookings & higher revenue

    Yes! That's what we're hoping. My wife has a vision of super comfortable beds, which we've read elsewhere too and it's hard to accomplish that if you're requiring people to bring their own sheets and make their beds. :-) We're also hoping it's these small things that people notice and make them come back to us vs one of the other dozen units in the complex.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel While I definitely provide linens and other goodies, I think there is a valid point of your question in relation to your competition. I'm not sure what kind of property you have. I own and also manage vacation rentals. Even the really cheap hotels in my area provide lines, so I definitely have to. But if you are in a market where you possibly are competing with long-term rentals or military housing or some other properties that require guests to bring their own (camping lodges?) then you could possibly save some expenses by not providing what it's not expected by your guests. Satisfaction is a result of met expectations. If your guests don't expect linens, maybe ok to save on that part.

  • Real Estate Broker · East TN Loudon/Lenoir City/Tellico Village · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 222 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel

    I'm on the same side of Linens are provided. 

    I have stayed at Airbnb in Oahu, Destin, Florida, St.George, UT, Pheonix, AZ, Denver, CO, Plus I own 5 vacation rentals in Sevierville, TN, and manage vacation rentals, Every single one supplied sheets and starter packages for toiletries. 

    If I arrived and didn't have sheets after flying in for a stay, There would be an issue. 

    I do understand certain areas it is not the norm. In that case I would make double sure  it is  known on the listing page plus in the Welcome letter! 

  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Detzel suppose this depends a bit on your target market, but for most STRs focused on vacation rentals you’re going to have a cleaner come in anyway so why not have dual set of sheets, towels, face cloths, etc that can be swapped in/out on turnover? That also allows your cleaner to wash at home if they find it more convenient (though some will charge more given the electricity involved).

    Most importantly though, it’s about setting a great first impression, which is a bit hard to do when the beds aren’t made or someone’s got to sheet a bed after driving 4h to get to your place and just wants to go to bed.

    I’ve also standardized on white sheets/towels that are washed with Carbona Super White to keep them fresh across stays versus standard bleach that can be disastrous depending on application. Grey facecloths because as super as Carbona is, it’s no match for make up.

    HTH!

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I'm brand new at this, with my first booking taking place as I type.  I do provide pillows, linens, towels, toilet paper, paper towels, coffee, tea, sugar, olive oil.  

    I appreciate the comments in this thread. I wouldn't have known to standardize, but comments like these helped my listing to look much more professional.  I started out with thick comforters, and then wondered how I could possibly wash and dry a King & a Queen size comforter in a few hours.  I returned the comforters and got thinner layers for the King, Queen and Double beds.  Then read here on this forum about having two sets for hot-swapping.  Once, I had a payment inbound, I got a duplicate set for our first turnover. 

    Have never heard of Carbona Super White, so thanks @Cliff H. for that tip.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.