Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
I have been using booking.com and Airbnb mostly. People complain about booking.com cancellations. I have fixed that completely.
Airbnb types are seeking cheap and deeply discounted. Booking.com people pay a premium pricing and are good guests. I don't get a huge amount, but it is a good stream.
My secret is I use the one-hour window to allow cancellation. They made an error or are just confused, it weeds most of them out. I use strict / flexible cancellation policy. Any cancellation within 60 days I get the full payment.
I realize there are Regional differences. Booking.com leaves Airbnb in the dust in my area.
Rental Property Investor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 12 votes
2y
This is why i love BP where else can you go and find so much wisdom and insight among professionals in our industry that are willing to share their experiences. Thank you everyone for all the value each one of you brings and shares to the BP community.
Real Estate Agent · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 141 votes
1y
Booking.com handles the payments, not us. That's the only way I would host on the platform. We don't allow cancellations less than 14 days out, so typically if they book, they stay. It has been a good experience.
Investor · CO · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 42 votes
1y
I’m on the verge of giving Booking.com the boot , too many cancellations and the worst part is when you call customer service, which is China ….in order to validate you as a host they give you a call back so you can’t get your answer quickly and the callback takes a few minutes and half the time the call does not make it through- enough to make you wanna scream. VRBO bookings have been down Airbnb bookings have been up, but it has its own problems like siding with a guest who trashed my house with unauthorized party , truly if I had the time I would try to get off these platforms and go direct to customer, easier said than done.
Real Estate Agent · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 141 votes
1y
We allow them to cancel if it's greater than 14 days out. I know you won't like this, but I encourage you to call your Booking rep if you have one. If you don't, call the host line and get some help. You need to be using their credit card processor, not your own. Let them absorb the expenses of the cancellations. We get very few cancellations now that we are using their cc processing and have tightened the rules.
Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes
1y
I think the simplest summation of Booking is that if you are willing to live with very limited and frustrating customer service it is a great tool to fill gaps in the calendar.
The lack of service and security goes both ways, we have taken 20+ bookings from the platform to our Direct Booking funnel and never once been questioned by Booking.com about it. The fee structure is so brutal on the client side it makes a lot of sense from the client perspective and you can take advantage of some free marketing. If you are considering getting rid of them anyway try to move some of the reservations to your own Direct Booking or even to Airbnb if you can provide a savings to the client.
How have you all been dealing with showing your property address on Booking.com? I just listed our property but want to hide the entire address until the guests formally book.
Appreciate your feedback!
I had a horrible experience with booking.com. Few bookings, lots of cancels, inaccurate information and a total fail synching with other software.
@Joel Lazar, I've been on booking.com for 3 months now and have had no bookings. I am also very dissatisfied with the UI of the platform and overall performance. What platforms are you using and seeing most success on?
Real Estate Agent · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 122 posts · 141 votes
1y
Please be aware that the Euro is super weak right now. It's very expensive for Europeans to visit the US. It's important to be on this platform, even if it's not performing right now.
Airbnb is the market leader in the Southeast. Get your units there and make sure that they stand out. It's a tough market, no matter what platform you're on. We need to make it until spring.
@Joel Lazar, I've been on booking.com for 3 months now and have had no bookings. I am also very dissatisfied with the UI of the platform and overall performance. What platforms are you using and seeing most success on?
Airbnb and Furnished Finder has been our go-to in the Denver market. We have been happy with both platforms as MTR and (fill in) STR.
@Joel Lazar, I've been on booking.com for 3 months now and have had no bookings. I am also very dissatisfied with the UI of the platform and overall performance. What platforms are you using and seeing most success on?
I just use Airbnb. Steady at 90% and above occupancy and great service.
Investor · CO · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 42 votes
1y
I’m on the fence with booking.com in FL , been with them a couple yrs now, they get me more bookings than VRBO now, not sure why VRBO doesn’t like me , maybe cause I won’t drop my price to ridiculously low rates so they bury me on page 17 of search results.
VRBO platforms are not as user friendly as Airbnb , booking has poor customer service ,more difficult desktop platform