Evaluate my STR performance via a PM - should I self manage?

Evaluate my STR performance via a PM - should I self manage?

Rental Property Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2020 · 128 posts · 55 votes

Hello - I have two STRs in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg area. I have had one for two years and the second I purchased this year. The first one is a 4bd/4bath log home and it is with a well know local property manager. They take 30%. However the property is grossing 70k+ every year and it did that for two years prior to when I purchased. My mortgage payment on it is 1,900 a month. My PM tells me that in that area those results are simply not possible for a “do it yourself approach” is this true? The second property will do about 45k a year for a 2bd/2ba and the same PM. That mortgage payment is 965 a month. 

Thank you for any insights! 

1Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Alan Ford:

Hello - I have two STRs in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlingburg area. I have had one for two years and the second I purchased this year. The first one is a 4bd/4bath log home and it is with a well know local property manager. They take 30%. However the property is grossing 70k+ every year and it did that for two years prior to when I purchased. My mortgage payment on it is 1,900 a month. My PM tells me that in that area those results are simply not possible for a “do it yourself approach” is this true? The second property will do about 45k a year for a 2bd/2ba and the same PM. That mortgage payment is 965 a month. 

Thank you for any insights! 

 Yeah I mean, if I was making 30% I'd tell you that you couldn't do it too. I've heard giving 15-16% but not 30%. That's what I'd expect to split with a partner and if that was the case my partner would be the manager. 

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston TX / Tacoma WA. · Member since 2019 · 166 posts · 89 votes
    6y

    @Alan Ford

    10% to 30% is the market for STR, but you can easily find someone for 15%.

    Try Searching for someone on Facebook Marketplace .

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Alan Ford 30% seems a little high I'd say. 

    What all the technology available to us now like FaceTime and/or WhatsApp video calling. I'm sure you are able to do this remotely. 

    However, there are always hacks so sieve through the forums I'm sure there are tips and tricks to do this. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.