Airbnb To Require 24 Hours Between Rentals

Airbnb To Require 24 Hours Between Rentals

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes

I'm sad to say I don't see how Airbnb can survive this. 

Airbnb.com says that Brian Chesky is making an announcement tomorrow (4/28/20) at 3pm pacific. We were hoping for good news. I guess we can assume this is the news.

Click Here For More Info

USA Today - "Airbnb is about to go on a cleaning binge.

The home-sharing service, under pressure from the coronavirus crisis, said Monday that it is establishing a new "cleaning protocol" with the goal of reassuring both those who rent their properties, which it calls "hosts," and their guests.

Airbnb said in a statement that the protocol will offer guidance on the best and safest practices for cleansing a residence's various rooms. It will include a manual more than 40 pages long establishing the standards, as well as specifying particular chemicals and other products to do the job."

1Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

This is the problem. You essentially hire AirBnB to market your rental and they start acting like they own it.

All because of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate, but that's for another thread.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 580 posts · 396 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl when does this go into effect? 

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Adam Tafel:

    @Luke Carl when does this go into effect? 

     Airbnb.com says that Brian Chesky is making an announcement tomorrow (4/28/20) at 3pm pacific.We were hoping for good news. I guess we can assume this is the news. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I wouldn't say it's 50%.  It's more like one extra day of occupancy for each booking.  If someone books a place for 2 days, the house is basically unrentable for 3.  If they book it for a week, it's unavailable for 8 days.  I could come up with a formula, but it's too early in the morning.  

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I wonder how this will work if you have manually blocked days for off platform bookings or synced calendar booking from HA/VRBO?

    I have gotten an unusual amount of bookings via Airbnb this year. I must have my prices too low.

    SC is starting to open up things like retail (with restrictions) So I can see stir crazy people wanting to get out and come to the lake.

  • Property Manager · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    This is very interesting, the company has already seen a significant amount of backlash in recent months.  Let's hope they get through these tough times.  Thanks for sharing this @Luke Carl

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    From the article:

    "In addition to the requirement that rentals be spaced out by a minimum
    of 24 hours, Lehane said hosts will have the option of an online feature
    that automatically prevents bookings less than 72 hours apart for an
    extra measure of safety. "

    So you could lose 3 days. You could be forced on Airbnb to remain unbooked for a weekend if someone checked out on a Thursday!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Let’s hope it’s not true. Or perhaps just an option for hosts if they so choose. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    I wonder how many housekeeping companies will bother reading Airbnb’s CYA cleaning policy. Doubtful many would. All PR for them at our expense.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    If we are all already following CDC guidelines, I’m not sure why Airbnb feels the need to take it further than that. I know we all want to provide a clean place to our guests, but a 40 page manual is a bit much.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    AirBNB needs to quit acting like a property manager.  While I understand wanting to have a baseline standard, and even think that's a good idea, it needs to be just that: a baseline.  Trust us as hosts to understand that cleanliness is important to guests, and allow us to do what's best for our listing and communicate it to guests.  What if AirBNB's specified chemicals aren't available in my area right now, but comparable ones are?  A FORTY PAGE cleaning manual?  That's absurd.  

    They keep this up and they're going to start losing hosts left and right - I'm already planning how I can phase out from the platform.  

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    6y

    We signed up to host first responders. We got a request. It was for one guest, two weeknights next week. I checked with my cleaner. She won’t clean after her. Two nights at a discount, no cleaner, one to three days in between: denied. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    AirBNB needs to quit acting like a property manager.  While I understand wanting to have a baseline standard, and even think that's a good idea, it needs to be just that: a baseline.  Trust us as hosts to understand that cleanliness is important to guests, and allow us to do what's best for our listing and communicate it to guests.  What if AirBNB's specified chemicals aren't available in my area right now, but comparable ones are?  A FORTY PAGE cleaning manual?  That's absurd.  

    They keep this up and they're going to start losing hosts left and right - I'm already planning how I can phase out from the platform. 

    Ya seems to me ( we only have one (STR) in a inner city location so mainly business folks. That coming out of this is where the HOSTS need to market their own protocol of how they are doing the turn over cleaning ? Maybe time for a new platform to emerge out of this and Airbnb regulates themselves into retirement.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    This is nuts and seriously has me now hesitating to buy more cabins. I was all ready to go for it and now I don’t know....

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    This is the problem. You essentially hire AirBnB to market your rental and they start acting like they own it.

    All because of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate, but that's for another thread.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    6y

    I just got my Airbnb payout email. I haven’t closely examined how they derived their number but it was for the cancelled nights. Their expected cancellation payout is less than actual payout of course (no cleaning or fees, taxes) x 25%. They said it depends on the host’s cancellation policy but why that matters, I don’t understand. 

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    When this crisis first started Airbnb's cleaning recommendation already stated this as a policy. 24 hours between guests for cleaning.  You have to remember airbnb started as room share inside your personal house and is still primarily home share based.  Cleaning crews like we use for vacation rentals in my opinion are much more experienced in sanitizing spaces and how to be careful from contamination compared to your normal homeowner. I think this is  a way to CYA from  political pressures and of course news worthy.  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    You Airbnb people have 2 options.

    1. Have Airbnb set rules, policies and procedures for this crisis; and you all abide by them.  The crisis will eventually be over and those hassles from Airbnb go away.

    2. Have Airbnb do nothing, then your state or the federal government sets the rules, policies and procedures for this crisis. What happens when the government gets involved in anything? Do you think the government will go away after from managing your STR when the crisis is over?

    Personally, I like option 1 better.

  • Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Seems that a new direction would be to specifically book some days on AirBNB and others on a personal website , vrbo, or home away To get around this?

  • Rental Property Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2017 · 335 posts · 387 votes
    6y

    A 24-hour gap between in peak summer season is a killer. With an average stay of 4 days, that's a loss of SIX DAYS revenue per month, which is a 20% loss. After losing over $35k due to the pandemic, this feels like a kick in the stomach while I'm lying on the ground.

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Looks like it's an optional program according to an update on the article, just an FYI.

  • Investor · West Islip, NY · Member since 2014 · 48 posts · 44 votes
    6y

    From what I read it is something you opt into.  I would like to hear how other people perceive this.

    Here is the link regarding this on AirBnb:

    https://news.airbnb.com/our-enhanced-cleaning-initiative-for-the-future-of-travel/?fbclid=IwAR18JibSbLPrjW3ZRdqmZS0grLU-6jpxVqGIKwRR2FKD7KsRaUqyEIzXKPg

  • Real Estate Agent · Texas Tennessee · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    I’m anxious to see how they handle my already booked reservations that are back to back. I will be livid if they cancel them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Shelton, CT · Member since 2012 · 92 posts · 176 votes
    6y

    their website mentions a 72 hour buffer period.... thats a lot worse than 24 hours.. are they considering time for the cleaning crew? 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    This is a rough road really. The policy is optional, but they will let all guests know that you opted in. I bet it will be prominent. Just as if you don't opt in will be prominent I am betting.

    With so many people taking things to the extreme, it could have an impact.

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    6y

    This would've killed me in March but for May onwards it's doable since it's a slower period. I hope they rank you higher if you opt-in. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.