Investing in Joshua tree

Investing in Joshua tree

Rental Property Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 8 votes

Love love tiny home movement Quick inquiries do you need to purchase a lot/land to place a tiny home or camper in Joshua tree purpose utilizing as a short rental? Do you need a permit for such minimal square footage, solar panels, water barrel, septic tanks? What is pros and cons and restrictions in San Bernardino county?

0Reply
209 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Landers, CA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 59 votes
5y

Hi @Fabian Martinez! To answer your questions...

Q: Do you need to purchase a lot/land to place a tiny home or camper in Joshua tree purpose utilizing as a short rental?

A: Yes, but SB county just started requiring vacation rental owners to get STR permits, and I don't believe they're granting permits to campers/trailers. You might be able to get away with it for a while, as they don't really have enough resources to enforce the permits yet, but I wouldn't count on this as a long-term strategy. Too risky, IMO.

Q: Do you need a permit for such minimal square footage, solar panels, water barrel, septic tanks?

A: Yes, you need a permit for everything now. If you want to get a STR permit, you will need to get permits through SB county for everything you build, to prove that your structure is livable and up to code. Otherwise, you will not be granted a STR permit.

Q: What is pros and cons and restrictions in San Bernardino county?

A: In terms of STRs, things used to be a lot more relaxed here and you could get away with more - yurts, campers/trailers, tents, weddings and events, etc. but now they are enforcing everything a lot more than they used to, and that will only continue to happen more in the future. The SB county permitting process is also very difficult and very slow, in my experience, both for STRs and for building permits. If you want to build a house from scratch here, you can expect the permitting process to take 7-9 months, from what I'm told...unless you're in the limits of the Town of Yucca Valley, which I hear is quicker. 

The only pro to launching a STR in SB county that comes to mind is that currently, I think we're reasonably safe from STRs being banned completely here, due to the fact that there aren't really enough hotels here to accommodate the 3 million annual visitors that come to the JT National Park. But since covid, EVERYONE is trying to launch an Airbnb in the JT area, so I expect to have A LOT more STR competition pop up over the next couple of years. So plan for that. And we're not totally safe from restrictions, so it's still a risk, IMO.

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 274 posts · 255 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moyer:
    Originally posted by @Jason Kudo:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moyer:

    Someone has to explain this market to me.  Everyone raves about how awesome it's been for the last year+, but when I look at listings on AirBnB/VRBO their calendars are all bare even in what I think is supposed to be high season there.

     Mind clarifying what you think is supposed to be high season there?

    Hi Jason, I've heard winter for Joshua Tree.  Though that isn't with a ton of research admittedly, just what a few of the investors had mentioned in one of the Joshua Tree threads here, so certainly possible I am wrong about that.

     In general, as the temperature cools, the busier it gets. JT generally comes alive with out-of-towners during the Joshua Tree Music Festival which is this weekend this year and ramps up into the Winter and Spring. What kind of properties are you looking at on AirBnb?

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jason Kudo:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moyer:
    Originally posted by @Jason Kudo:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moyer:

    Someone has to explain this market to me.  Everyone raves about how awesome it's been for the last year+, but when I look at listings on AirBnB/VRBO their calendars are all bare even in what I think is supposed to be high season there.

     Mind clarifying what you think is supposed to be high season there?

    Hi Jason, I've heard winter for Joshua Tree.  Though that isn't with a ton of research admittedly, just what a few of the investors had mentioned in one of the Joshua Tree threads here, so certainly possible I am wrong about that.

     In general, as the temperature cools, the busier it gets. JT generally comes alive with out-of-towners during the Joshua Tree Music Festival which is this weekend this year and ramps up into the Winter and Spring. What kind of properties are you looking at on AirBnb?

     Are you a realtor there or investor?  DM me please.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I have to assume Joshua Tree is getting saturated - I grew up in CA and although we loved visiting Joshua Tree it wasn't that massive a vacation / weekend draw. I've talked to people all over the country and seems like everyone and their mother is under contract for a STR there. Same story with Gatlinburg. Would love to hear from local, long term STR operators in Gatlinburg & Joshua Tree whether they've had a decrease in bookings in the last 2 years since there's been such massive internet interest in investing there and lots of new listings coming online.

    Maybe I'm being pessimistic and there's enough business for everyone. I can't help thinking of the caveat on mutual funds : Past results are no indication of future returns :). 

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.