How to spot trashy guests on Airbnb

How to spot trashy guests on Airbnb

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes

Hi, BPers

Thank you all for the helpful advice on my first short rental in my previous posts! I finally finished the reno and decor and now it's up for renting. So far, I have 64% occupancy in 30 days. It is much more time consuming than I expected, but I am also excited as if operated properly, good cash flows from STR can complement my more stable long-term rentals.

Now, I am nervous with all these new guests: unlike my long term tenants who went through my strict screening process, I almost knew nothing about these short-term guests. Given that the percentage of trashy guests is increasing after the COVID, I wonder whether you experienced STR owners could give me some advice on how to sniff out trashy guests. As I try to go through their profiles, I noticed that there are quite a few factors:

1. Reviews on the guest from previous hosts

2. Whether identity is verified

3. Email address

4. Phone number

5. The days between the booking and their arrival

6. Age of the guest

7. Referral from other hosts (for instant book)

8. Profile pictures

9. The number of guests

I wonder based on your experience (good or bad), which one(s) are most important in sniffing out partiers/trashy guests? My current hunch on the level of risk is Reviews > Referral from previous hosts > Verified identity > Age of the guests > the number of guests, but I am curious to hear your thoughts on them!

Thanks in advance!

Lee

1Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

I'm with Michael. Vrbo seems to have a higher class clientele and U also get most of my bookings on Vrbo.

I do not allow 1 day bookings and my minimum age is also 25.

My daily rate is from 200 to 600 per night. That helps weed out problems.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    5y

    That’s my thought process too, based on experience. Trashy guests as a generalization is far removed from what I think most hosts experience, at least the ones who post here and in FB groups. Maybe because we’re lucky and are on top of things and look for red flags?

  • Jason MuthPro Member
    Investor · Newburyport, MA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 40 votes
    5y
    Hi Leon - I think it's totally dependent upon the seasonality of your market. For our lake home, I know that March and April are always the weakest months (it's not summer, it's not leaf peeping, and skiing is over), so I'm a bit more flexible and am fine with a higher level of vacancy.

    For summer, I try to have almost every day booked at each of our places. It's the highest nightly rate and most demand.

    I think you'll find your answer over time and with lots of trail-and-error, testing high/low rates, length-of-stay, adding promotions when they are available, etc.

    Jason
    Originally posted by @Leon Lee:
    Jason

    Thank you for the information, which is really helpful!Just curious: you mentioned that you adjust minimal days based on how fully your place is occupied. I totally agree that full occupancy is not the goal here. What are the targets for setting your price? I read somewhere that people should adjust their base price so that they can have about 50% occupancy for next 30 days. I am sure it is much more complicated than a simple 50% and wonder how you experienced STR hosts deal with it.

    The reason I asked is that I saw similar places in the building where my unit is located are listed with much higher price, but with very low occupancy. They are experienced hosts and definitely know what they are doing. I am just trying to figure out their thought process. I assume that higher price will weed out bad guests and may achieve similar profits by catering high-quality tenants only with less work/hassle, but is there a yardstick I could follow to achieve maximal profits?

    Thanks
    Lee 



    Originally posted by@Jason Muth:

    As many have stated, there are so many variables involved. For our STRs, I have found that I'd rather pick vacancy over poor tenant quality, because success (for me, at least) is not 365 nights/year of rentals.

    • Started with Minimum 2 nights, 5 or 7 during summers (I start at 7 and back down to 5 to fill in gaps)
    • Now we have Minimum 3 nights since I have so many positive reviews and have been a Superhost for over 2 years at this point. I'm sure we are missing out on some 2-nighters, but that's fine. If the calendar looks a bit sparse, I just back that down to 2-night minimum
    • Keep the prices as high as possible. If you're in review-building mode, play with the rates and offer discounts. Naturally higher prices will weed out many problem tenants
    • Overcommunicate. Give them a sense of responsibility. Customer service goes a long way. We spent a lot of time building out our listings and welcome materials. They are complete and thorough, but not overbearing. Our tone is friendly and irreverent, but serious when needed. Thank people for booking immediately after they do, drop them a quick note before their arrival and welcome them upon arrival.
    • Minimum 25 years is a must.
    • Have great eyes on the ground. Both people who clean our units are amazing. I communicate with each after every turn. And when people show up to spotless units, I feel as though they share a responsibility to treat our space as if it's their own (in fact, we let them know that we use both ourselves from time-to-time, again so they remember that they are staying in OUR place, not merely a hotel)

    Would you believe that I don't even charge security deposits? I believe that layer of trust goes far. If I did charge one, I think that guests might go so far as to see that as the amount of damage they can inflict.

    No joke, last summer I had a bunch of guys at our lake house and received a call on their final night that one of them broke our TV by punching it. Yep! They were playing a Virtual Reality game and got a bit too close. Well, during the call they said not to worry because they already replaced it with an ever nicer model. They hung it on the bracket, sent photos and everything. I wasn't thrilled at first (because I would have picked a different brand to remain consistent with my systems), but quickly laughed it off and figured it was an amazing story, which it is.

    BTW, separate topic, did you know that you can connect your calendars between Airbnb and VRBO? In fact, we have ours connected with TripAdvisor as well (but I've only received one booking from TA in 3 years). I recommend both Airbnb and VRBO to start. The sites optimize their listings differently, and not being on both platforms is a big miss IMHO. I ran with pay-per-stay on VRBO for the first two years and then calculated that (for us) it's actually worth spending the $499 annual flat fee per listing now

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 280 votes
    5y

    Some ideas to consider....

    25 to rent

    2 night minimums

    Increase your nightly rate

    $750/$1000 security deposit/hold

    Mike

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    5y

    @Leon Lee

    Only verified guests that have former stays/ reviews. Avoid 1 night stays. Dig in when they try to book about what’s bringing them to the area, etc.

  • Member since 2021 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Hey guys. Great info and stories, learning a lot from everyone’s input. Do any of you use any Airbnb management companies? Seems like most of the hosts here are dealing with their problems head on and managing fairly well. I’m also new to the Airbnb str market and was always curious if any one has used a managing service. 

    I apologize if this is too off topic from your original post @Leon Lee!! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Salvatore Gaglio:

    Hey guys. Great info and stories, learning a lot from everyone’s input. Do any of you use any Airbnb management companies? Seems like most of the hosts here are dealing with their problems head on and managing fairly well. I’m also new to the Airbnb str market and was always curious if any one has used a managing service. 

    I apologize if this is too off topic from your original post @Leon Lee!! 

    Salvatore

    Not at all! It is closely related. From what I heard, it seems that it's always good to learn STR management yourself first, probably for several reasons: 1) the new STR operators usually don't have a large portfolio and 15 to 25% management fee could easily be more than 50% net profit, 2) it is always good to learn some details on management before outsourcing the section, as you will know better regarding how much work involved in management and whether the company is doing a good job, 3) generally speaking, management company is not as focused and motivated as the owner in managing your own portfolio.

    Best

    Lee

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Over 25. 2 night minimum. Loud and clear - no parties, no events. VRBO.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.