Palm Springs: guest or contract limit?

Palm Springs: guest or contract limit?

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi there,

We're looking to invest in a STR in Palm Springs and as I am doing my DD around vacation rental policies I have found the city refers to a 32 guest contract limit per year (plus the 4 additional during peak) while Airbnb refers to this as a guest limit. Is the Airbnb help article wrong and that guest contract = one reservation? So the limit is 32 reservations per year?

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 95 votes
5y

@Callum Jones

Hi Callum,

I believe the PS regulation you are referencing is in regards to contract reservation (32 contracts plus an additional 4 contracts during peak) per year, not guest count. PS has a separate requirement for guest count I believe it’s 2 overnight guests per bedroom (like most STRs). So basically if you got a booking on Airbnb for 7 days that counts as 1 booking contract reservation.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I would contact the city, or look on their list of codes online.  Even my rinky dink town of 9500 that had 2 homicides last week publishes the ordinances online.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Callum Jones

    Hi Callum,

    I believe the PS regulation you are referencing is in regards to contract reservation (32 contracts plus an additional 4 contracts during peak) per year, not guest count. PS has a separate requirement for guest count I believe it’s 2 overnight guests per bedroom (like most STRs). So basically if you got a booking on Airbnb for 7 days that counts as 1 booking contract reservation.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    5y

    @Mark Futalan is correct.  PS is a very highly regulated market, and they enforce pretty much every inch of the rules.  Best to print out a few copies of the ordinance, read a few times over, think about it, and then read it again LOL.  Also, I'd encourage anyone thinking about PS to meet with a few of the larger property management companies, to get some firsthand info on what it's like to manage different types of properties, how different neighborhoods are to noise complaints, etc. before jumping in, or find a realtor that really know the space well and has worked with lots of vacation rentals.

    https://www.palmspringsca.gov/...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.