Drywall a red flag for Smokey Mountain Rental

Drywall a red flag for Smokey Mountain Rental

Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes

I have heard from a few people to stay away from short term rentals in the Gatlinburg area which have drywall walls and ceilings. 

If the rest of the house is themed correctly, why not simply install wood siding/paneling over the drywall?

I have seen multiple people discard properties on account of the drywall alone, and do not understand why, when the installation of paneling does not seem to be prohibitively expensive. 

Thanks. 

0Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 86 votes
5y

100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Too much drywall yes. I need at least a chair rail and I will not do drywall ceilings 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    I avoided them completely because they don’t look like a cabin to me. And people come to the area for a cabin in the mountains. All of our properties there are full on cabins inside and out. That said, I’m sure with how the market is, dry wall cabins perform just fine right now.

  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    If the rest of the cabin is themed log-style (exterior wood paneling, rustic kitchen, etc.), why not install interior paneling over the dry-wall? If that is the only thing that the property needs, why discard it outright rather than paying for the paneling?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    @Kyler J Sloan

    When I bought the first one the market was not quite like it is now and I could be a bit more picky. I didn’t consider anything like that. With the rest, I worked directly with builders so again, I didn’t have to worry about dry wall. If you think that’s a good solution for you, go for it. I’m not against it. I just didn’t have to consider it. Hope that makes sense!

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    For disclosure: my house is under construction in Gatlinburg and it's our first STR. We have zero STR experience.

    Long ago I heard that you should build a log style cabin in the Smokies because that's what visitors expect. We've been vacationing in the Smokies for 11 years. We spent about a year looking at cookie cutter log cabins to purchase.

    Eventually we decided to purchase a lot and custom build a mountain home. We decided to build a style we liked: a modern, farmhouse style home. All ceilings, stairways and the game room bar accent wall are tongue and groove pine. All trim is pine. We have some wooden beams. Everything else is sheetrock.

    One of the nice things about sheetrock is that you can paint it beautiful colors for accent. We did this throughout the house.

    Ultimately I think there's an audience for houses that are not log cabins, and it's a segment under represented in the area.

    I believe execution and design are the key. I'd rather have something that sticks out from the competition than blends into the background. And I believe the Smokies are drawing enough visitors that you can find guests looking for something besides log cabins. 

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
    5y

    @Kyler J Sloan

    The STR we booked for our stay in the Smokies (Seiverville) was a regular SFH with sheet rock. Loved it. Cabins look dungy and dreary to my family atleast, especially when staying there for 6 nights.

  • Investor · Maggie Valley, NC · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    @Matt Mertz My thoughts are beginning to align with yours and @Jai Reddy. 

    Even with sheetrock, there are homes that in all other respects resemble a cabin, and it is fairly easy to add paneling over the sheetrock in the future. If the paneling is factored into the ROI and it still provides great returns, I do not see the problem.

    I think investors who apply hard and fast rules like "no sheetrock" are looking for ways to simplify their worlds, and quickly narrow down their prospects when looking for properties. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    You can drywall and then add wainscoting for a more elegant, but still cabiny look.....

  • Justin BeasleyPro Member
    Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2020 · 102 posts · 69 votes
    5y

    @Kyler J Sloan Putting in tongue & groove is possible and happens all of the time. It is pretty amazing how far 50-75K can go when it comes to changing a residential style property to look more like a cabin. I have had a couple of friends pull this off this year. Will be happy to send you some pictures of the before and after...just message me and let me know. 

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 86 votes
    5y

    100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

    https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    When i go on a destination vacation , I look at the price of the house first . I am not spending my day looking at the house , I am out and about doing things . I come back to eat and enjoy some cool adult beverages . The place must be clean , priced reasonably , thats about it .  

    My vacations are 2 adults and 2 teenagers and a small dog in a 30ft by 8 ft camper .  We spend our money at the amusement parks , fishing trips , fun things . We sit around a fire with friends , drink a bit too much and sleep in the camper . 

    Drywall wouldnt bother me 1 bit .

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kyler J Sloan:

    I have heard from a few people to stay away from short term rentals in the Gatlinburg area which have drywall walls and ceilings. 

    If the rest of the house is themed correctly, why not simply install wood siding/paneling over the drywall?

    I have seen multiple people discard properties on account of the drywall alone, and do not understand why, when the installation of paneling does not seem to be prohibitively expensive. 

    Thanks. 

     The next time you hear about someone discarding a house because of drywall please let me know 

    I am happy to pay a generous legal finders fee to you 


    thank you 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

    https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

     Wow so nice!
    in VRBO it says 6 bedrooms

    is this different than the one above where it says 2/2?

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 86 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plante:
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

    https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

     Wow so nice!
    in VRBO it says 6 bedrooms

    is this different than the one above where it says 2/2?

     Sleeps 6. Pull out sofa always a must 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:
    Originally posted by @Michael Plante:
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

    https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

     Wow so nice!
    in VRBO it says 6 bedrooms

    is this different than the one above where it says 2/2?

     Sleeps 6. Pull out sofa always a must 

     Link says 6 BR

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 86 votes
    5y

    So weird. Got to love vrbo. Mine says 2. Thankfully no guest has ever expected 6 bedroom. Maybe a refresh or something. 

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Morgan:

    100% disagree with that statement. We have a 2/2 in pitman center that is t1-11 siding and all drywall. We made it into a farmhouse/cabin feel. Picture chip and Jojo designing a cabin. We have only had 1 night vacant all year. Will do over 100k this year alone. Many people feel the all wood cabin and bear everything is tacky and our property have many 5 star reviews that mention they love that it is not a dungy wood cabin. Just make it look relaxing and new. We are building 2 more just like it. 

    https://www.vrbo.com/1694665

    Wow, awesomely done!  Both location and style are outside of what I thought would have worked well there but you are crushing it.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I disagree that a traditionally-built home with drywall is an automatic detractor.  Guests are looking for variety of experiences.  There are many ways to create a comfortable feeling vacation rental.  

    As someone mentioned earlier, the vast majority of "log" cabins in the Smokies are not log at all; they are stick-built houses clad with something(s) to make them look log.  So instead of vinyl siding or brick, log-look veneer was installed, and some T&G cedar is tacked to the drywall inside.  

    In 2017, I had a genuine log cabin, circa 1800, burn to the ground in Gatlinburg.  I decided to go back with a real log cabin.  We shipped in logs from British Columbia. I don't regret it for a minute, but it is an ordeal and quite expensive.  "Hey can you move that outlet to the right two feet?"  Hmmm.  Not exactly.  ;)

    https://cabinsneargatlinburg.c...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.