Future Real Estate Agent · Chino Hills, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
Hi Everyone!
I am in the process of becoming a licensed real estate agent in Southern California. I currently live in Irvine, CA -- But my boyfriend just told me that marriage is on the horizon soon. He lives in the Inland Empire, and can't move because he owns several established businesses there.
I may need to choose between the following markets:
1) North Orange County - Yorba Linda, Villa Park, Placentia, Anaheim, etc OR
2) Inland Empire Along The 210 - Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont, Glendora, San Dimas, etc
The North Orange County seems like a great market (albeit, with a rough commute), but the Inland Empire means that when we get married, I'll actually be living in the community that I'm serving.
Amidst a number of life changes, any advice that you can provide me regarding your market experience, business foresight, or housing trend knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!
Welcome to the site! BP is an awesome place with so much room to grow your knowledge base. I currently work for a real estate office in Mission Viejo and work more within the Inland Empire currently because of my knowledge base and leads. In the realm of real estate it is very good to have a great grasp on the local market, which can come easily from living within that area. Of course there will be times were you get a lead for another area; however, the most knowledge will come from looking and driving that area day-by-day!
I grew up in Redlands and have a very good knowledge of the area (Inland Empire), and the more I go out there the more I understand that certain market. I say that because once I have honed my skills in that market, I will be able to look at any other market with the knowledge and make an educated decision for a client on their next home, or myself on my next investment.
If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me via PM.
Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members which is my favorite part of the website.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y
@Aarin J. Working in the area where you will live, possibly have a family, etc. would make the most sense. When you live in an area, you get to KNOW the neighborhoods, where people shop, and get involved in the local community. Those networking opportunities are invaluable and will help you along much further than driving to work in another city, and spending a workday there.
Real Estate is all about building relationships and networking. It's much easier to do where you live. Good luck.
Welcome to the site! BP is an awesome place with so much room to grow your knowledge base. I currently work for a real estate office in Mission Viejo and work more within the Inland Empire currently because of my knowledge base and leads. In the realm of real estate it is very good to have a great grasp on the local market, which can come easily from living within that area. Of course there will be times were you get a lead for another area; however, the most knowledge will come from looking and driving that area day-by-day!
I grew up in Redlands and have a very good knowledge of the area (Inland Empire), and the more I go out there the more I understand that certain market. I say that because once I have honed my skills in that market, I will be able to look at any other market with the knowledge and make an educated decision for a client on their next home, or myself on my next investment.
If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me via PM.
Good Luck,
Peter
Hi Peter!! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!
@Aarin J. Working in the area where you will live, possibly have a family, etc. would make the most sense. When you live in an area, you get to KNOW the neighborhoods, where people shop, and get involved in the local community. Those networking opportunities are invaluable and will help you along much further than driving to work in another city, and spending a workday there.
Real Estate is all about building relationships and networking. It's much easier to do where you live. Good luck.
Thanks Karen! I think you're right actually... I really appreciate your response!
Ontario, CA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 10 votes
11y
Hi Aarin!
Congrats on both working towards obtaining your license and on the upcoming marriage!
I second all the votes here- live where you plan to work the business.
I currently live in Ontario. When I first started in the business, I lived in Montclair and worked the entire West End, plus the HD. Deals took me outside this area, of course, but work your farm primarily. You've chosen a great area. Great schools, neighborhoods, etc. If you would like to connect with me and pick my brain, feel free. I'll be moving to East Texas by the end of this year, but would still love to connect. There won't be much I will miss about SoCal, but I will miss the market!
Ontario, CA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 10 votes
11y
I thought of something regarding your chosen area of the 210 corridor you may or may not have thought of already, but just in case:
The LA county cities that border the West End (Claremont, Glendora, etc) are pretty different markets than SB county cities along the 210. You might want to consider specializing in one county or the other. And don't forget the North Upland/San Antonio Heights area, as well as the RC/Alta Loma areas, and of course the Chino Hills area. (I'm assuming by choosing the 210 corridor you're wanting to work with the higher end client).
I thought of something regarding your chosen area of the 210 corridor you may or may not have thought of already, but just in case:
The LA county cities that border the West End (Claremont, Glendora, etc) are pretty different markets than SB county cities along the 210. You might want to consider specializing in one county or the other. And don't forget the North Upland/San Antonio Heights area, as well as the RC/Alta Loma areas, and of course the Chino Hills area. (I'm assuming by choosing the 210 corridor you're wanting to work with the higher end client).
Hi Carrie!
Thank you for your reply! I actually decided on the Chino Hills area, so you read my mind.
At this point in the process, I have all of my coursework completed, and I'm just waiting for the state to allow me to sit for the exam. Once I get licensed, I will find a broker there to work with. I'm really excited!
I'd love to take you up on your offer to connect with you and pick your brain though. Should I just send you a message? Sorry, I'm still new to all of this :)
La Puente, CA · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 21 votes
10y
@Aarin J., Fast forward one year later can you please give us an update? Tell us about the Chino Hills market, if you care to share what brokerage and so forth feel free to give us the scoop. How would a new agent fare in your area? Any advice or comments for the BP crowd or future new agents? Thank you.