Hello from Birmingham Alabama

Hello from Birmingham Alabama

Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes

I discovered BP after my friend and I attended a local REI group for the first time. As novice investors, we didn't know what to expect; and, interestingly, they had a guru and her husband using a hard sell on their program to "get rich with wholesaling". We would have left early, but they were insulting and threatening anyone who left the presentation. Needless to say, we were very confused after it was over. Thankfully, I started doing some online research and found BP. I read an article where Brandon issued warnings about gurus. Thank you for saving me a great deal of money, Brandon! I would like to start out with a small multi-family unit. Ideally, something that would be a good "value-added" opportunity. Thanks so much for the valuable information that you provide!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 8 votes
12y

Hey Kim,

I would be curious about the specifics of the guru you are describing. I attend the AIA meetings in Birmingham which is the local REIA as much as I can. There are good and bad people there. There are some local "gurus" who are worth getting to know. At any rate I have been investing in the Birmingham area for about 5 years. I don't know everything, but I have a good idea of what to do and not to do. If you have any questions I am happy to help. I am going to try to put together a Bigger Pockets event where some of us can meet up and talk about what we are doing. We all need each other. We all want to succeed and make money , and we need to network to do that. Take care.

Jimmy Morros

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP where you can learn everything without them snake-oil salesmen. Do you care to tell everyone who the gurus are?


    Joe Gore

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Joe!

    I honestly don't remember their names. This was back in July. I know they were from Colorado. I wanna say their system was around $1,300.00.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Save your money just ask questions on BP, and you will get answers.


    Joe Gore
  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Yes. There is way more information here than in the $1,300.00 program.

  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2012 · 73 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Kimberly Robinson! I also would love to get into smaller multifamily properties. I have found it hard to find them in the parts of town that I really want to be in, but I'm still looking. I'd be curious what parts of town you are searching in?

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Cooper B. (I'm on a Mac and the mention feature doesn't seem to be working) I think I would prefer Shelby County... fewer scandals... haha. But, I'm interested in learning more about the Woodlawn area and Eastlake areas. How about you?

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Hey Kim,

    I would be curious about the specifics of the guru you are describing. I attend the AIA meetings in Birmingham which is the local REIA as much as I can. There are good and bad people there. There are some local "gurus" who are worth getting to know. At any rate I have been investing in the Birmingham area for about 5 years. I don't know everything, but I have a good idea of what to do and not to do. If you have any questions I am happy to help. I am going to try to put together a Bigger Pockets event where some of us can meet up and talk about what we are doing. We all need each other. We all want to succeed and make money , and we need to network to do that. Take care.

    Jimmy Morros

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Jimmy. @Demetrius Morros (Ha! Figured it out!)

    I would love to attend a local BP meet up! I can't remember the name of the guru. She had really dark hair, wore black. According to her, she's known as the "Queen of the Short Sale". Her husband was dressed like a rockstar and insulted and threatened people if they left early. I haven't been back to a meeting because I didn't want to waste another $20.00. I was really hoping to meet people and network. I would love to meet those local gurus who know what they're doing.

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    I think I know who that is you are describing. I skipped that AIA meeting because I saw her once and thought she was bogus. There are local people who are better.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Kimberly Robinson! Welcome! Glad you enjoyed that article. Definitely start jumping into the community here! If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and The BiggerPockets Podcast. They are both great at learning the fundamentals.

    You may also enjoy this post, about multifamily properties: How to Buy a Small MultiFamily Property: A Step by Step Case Study

    Oh - and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    Welcome Kimberly!

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Brandon!

    I'm so happy to have found your site! Thanks so much for providing this wonderful information and connecting real estate professionals... all for FREE!!! You Rock!

  • Investor · Southeast/ Midwest states · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP Kimberly.

    I'm down in LA (lower Alabama) in the Mobile area. Sounds like you already a BP group forming in Birmingham. I have found the site very helpful. Lot's or great people and resources. Best to you.

    Carrie

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Carrie!

    I'm so happy to have found this site. I've already made some great connections and have learned so much. Would you drive to Bham for a BP meetup? Some are talking about putting one together. I'd love to meet you! Take care!

  • Greenville, AL · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Id like to sign up for the BP Bham meeting.

    Keep us posted.

    Welcome to the site!

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi Frank,

    Thanks for reaching out!

    @Demetrius Morros Jimmy, please add Frank to the list of folks interested in a local meet up. Let me know if I can help you make it happen.

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    I created a Birmingham Real Estate Investors meet up group tonight. Will post details later. Hopefully we can meet on a regular basis and let people network and share ideas and experiences.

    Jimmy

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Awesome! You the man! How do I join?

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Not sure yet because I am still working on it. I am going to talk to a few other folks I know in town first and get some ideas from them and then we can set it up and have it. I was thinking a Sunday afternoon might be good for those of us with full time jobs. There is never a good time for everyone, but that might be a good one.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Sounds great! Sunday afternoon is good for me. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairhope, AL · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Hey Kimberly

    I also attended the Birmingham club meeting with the "gurus". They were Bill and Dwan Twyford and I completely agree with your assessment of them. They seemed very shady and definitely made you feel intimidated if you left early. I was kinda surprised that they were brought in. I have been to a couple of more club meetings with some being very helpful and some not so much.

    And definitely put me down for a Birmingham BP meet-up.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks for saying "Hello". Jimmy Morros has organized the first Birmingham Area BP Meetup. Our first meeting is going to be on 11/12/13 from 7-8 p.m. at J. Benoit’s office. The address is 237 Oxmoor Circle, Suite 106, Birmingham, Alabama 35209. I have created a group on the “Meet Up” web sight. The group is called “Birmingham Real Estate Investors.” I hope you can make it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairhope, AL · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    I will be there. Thanks

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2012 · 115 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Sounds like an awesome idea. I will be there as well!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent, Investor and Mentor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 257 posts · 61 votes
    12y

    Hello Kimberly @Kimberly Robinson

    Jimmy has created the meetup for next Tuesday. Have you seen it? Let me know if you or @Frank Cain need details.

    I just wanted to say hello and I'm happy to help with anything you need as well. Perhaps we'll see y'all next Tuesday (11/12)

  • Wholesaler · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Kimberly Robinson

    Welcome to bigger pockets!

    I shall be in attendance

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.