New from New York (NYC / Manhattan)

New from New York (NYC / Manhattan)

New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 4 votes

My name is Parul, I live in New York City and I am a newbie to the world of real estate investing! While new to the world of investing, the last decade of living in 5 apartments throughout the city and now owning the apartment that I live in (with my husband) has given me sufficient exposure to the world of real estate to know that I was bitten by the real estate bug.

I now have a bit of capital to invest, and some free time to explore the world of real estate investing. Through preliminary research, I am considering a buy and hold strategy for passive income via single family homes using my own (leveraged) capital.

In my brief time on BP.com, I have been very impressed by the knowledge, camaraderie and overall generosity of the members of this site. I look forward to the year ahead!

In terms of next steps, my first challenge is to find a neighborhood that I want to focus on. Unfortunately, the neighborhood I am most familiar with (Manhattan) does not currently provide realistic or attractive options for my level of capital. I am open to focusing on neighborhoods anywhere in the country. Any suggestions, blogs, articles on how to develop and hone knowledge of locations/neighborhoods? Thank-you very much!

1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

Hi Parul, and welcome to BP! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you’ll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York, NY · Member since 2013 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    12y
  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Parul S. ! Will do!

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Javier Diaz

    wow super exciting, i will have to find a sitter for my 20 month old, really going to try to make this one!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Woodhaven, NY · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    Awww...I love little babies at that age! I have an 11yr old. Not as cute and cuddly anymore.

    Definitely try to make the meet-up. The baby will thank you for it when he/she can.

    Cheers!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 557 votes
    12y

    Originally posted by @Parul S.:
    @Shawn Holsapple - thank-you for the tip on Indianapolis - I will add to my short list of towns. Any tips on MLS access?


    Without agent access to the MLS, you may have to rely on sites like Zillow & Realtor.com. Unfortunately, our MLS is nearly picked clean & it's definitely a sellers market. That's not to say that great opportunities aren't impossible to find. I always have access to several off-market and turn-key homes in good areas. Let me know when you're ready to move forward!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Woodhaven, NY · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Yana M. Forgot the mention. (Scroll up)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.