Experienced NYS investor new to Florida

Experienced NYS investor new to Florida

Professional · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I am an experienced multifamily investor that is relocating from central New York to Florida. I am going to join a REIA down there and wonder which ones are good. Also what area is the best for rehabbing properties? I hear good things about Daytona Beach and Miami. I cant wait to get down there and explore the different markets!!! I am new to BP but love the site and all the info available. I currently left my "job" as a finance director to pursue this full time, I have little cash to invest so I will also need to find some great private/hard money lenders that want to profit with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very excited for the journey.

Thanks,

Jay K

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
12y

@Buddy LaRue,

To make the @ work, do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key and type the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.

Raymond

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lacona, NY · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Jay K Off topic a little, but I am from Central NY about 40 miles north of Syracuse and just wondering if you were leaving NY for investment purposes. I have been investing here for about 4 years part time and planning on going full time this year. Good luck in Florida!
  • Beverly Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 62 votes
    12y

    @Jay Kiehn the main local REIA in central Florida Orlando area is Cfri there are good people in the group

  • Professional · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    @Erik Robbins

    I am leaving to try my hand at investing full time. The reason I am switching states is TAXES. I have had about enough of New York. I live close to Utica (about 40 miles east of Syracuse). Thank you very much for the encouragement. It is a big step for me to go and try it full time with limited funds.

    @Steve Smith

    Thank you very much for the info. I will look into it when I arrive in Fl.

    Does anybody know of good private/hard money lenders in Fl?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Palm Springs, CA · Member since 2011 · 144 posts · 78 votes
    12y

    @Jay Kiehn PM me, I have a private money lender down here that works with a lot of investors.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    12y

    @Buddy LaRue,

    To make the @ work, do the following:

    Hold down the shift key and type @?

    Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.

    Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

    If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key and type the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

    Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.

    Raymond

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Jay Kiehn Thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! Looks like you have some good experience with real estate! Don't be afraid to jump in and help answer questions or ask some of your own.

    Oh- last thing: Have you setup your "Keyword Alerts" yet? If not - definitely add some. I'd recommend adding "New York Mills" so you'll be notified when people talk about your local area.

    Welcome Jay!

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Welcome to the site @Jay Kiehn! Thanks for giving an introduction. It's always great to have investors with experience under their belts here on the site.

    Congrats on making the leap and stepping outside your comfort zone to go full-time in REI. It's a long time dream of mine and it should be a reality within the next 3-4 years :)

    Since you're going to take a stab at flipping while you're out there, I highly suggest reading/reviewing The Book On Flipping Houses . I feel even an experienced investor like yourself would benefit from having that book handy on your new venture.

    See you around the site. Keep us posted on how the transition goes!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Palm Springs, CA · Member since 2011 · 144 posts · 78 votes
    12y

    @Raymond B.

    Thank you. This will definitely be helpful.

    @Jay Kiehn

    PM me, I have a private money lender down here that works with a lot of investors.

  • Professional · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    @Buddy LaRue

    @Brandon Turner

    @Mehran K.

    Thank you all very much. You are very helpful. I start my journey tomorrow. I'm looking forward to meeting new investors and seeing how the markets are down in Fl.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Jay K. There are a lot of super helpful people and great advice on this site! I'm a "fix and hold" investor from the

    Bay Area in CA, and loving it! A lot of others doing flips, wholesaling, notes, everything.. A few tips..

    You can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name when it pops up at the bottom of the

    message box. You can click on the "vote" button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are "awards" to earn

    on your profile. The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and most importantly, the BP

    members! Welcome to BP, and good luck on your investments!

  • Professional · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I am currently set up in Ocala, (temporarily) I am wondering if there are any investors in the area that I may be able to meet with. The market in this area is strange to me. There are very nice houses with some not so nice houses right next door and don't know how this affects the value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.