Student Investor Denver, CO

Student Investor Denver, CO

Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes

Hello everyone! I'm Brian and I am a student investor. I joined BP a couple of weeks ago and I figured it was about time I stop by to say Hi.

A little about myself. I am married and have one child. I am a nurse by profession and I do not have any real estate experience at all. I have lived in Westminster Colorado [north Denver] now for about 2 years, moved here from Detroit, MI. I first became interested in REI about 10 years ago kind of just out of the blue but I never really committed myself to doing any learning. I have a renewed interest and have spent the past couple of months doing some initial learning.

As I said, I do not have any real experience with real estate investing. So far I have read about 10 books on the subject and attended a couple of the "free" seminars. I have read through the BP beginners guide, 10-15 articles on BP, listened to a few podcasts, read some blog posts, and read a bunch of BP forum posts. I have a real desire to learn the business and I plan to make REI my full time profession within 3-4 years. I don't have any expectations of "getting rich fast", I plan to build a sustainable business. So far I have set some initial goals for my business, started a business plan, and started making some connections in real estate. I have looked at a few deals and started crunching some numbers.

Ultimately my business plan will include cash-flow rentals and rehabs but to get started I'm planning on doing some wholesale deals. As with many new investors, I don't have a ton of startup capitol so I'm looking at wholesale deals to bring in some additional capitol for down payments and repair expenses. I do have some fairly solid construction/remodeling experience which I hope will help me get started in the business and save me some expense on rehab deals. I have done a number of things in construction including framing, drywall, minor plumbing and electrical, door and window replacement, some finish work and on and on the list goes; I can pretty much "fix" anything. That being said, I am in no way licensed or officially a professional in the construction business but I am a great handy man and I can demolish things like nobody's business.

I have set some solid goals for 2014 including actually starting my business. I have already began the process of looking at the legal structure of my business, creating my business "brand", and structuring a solid business plan. My main goals for my business in 2014 include closing 4-6 wholesale deals so that I have about 10 percent to put down on a solid multi-family by the end of the year; I feel that 4-6 wholesales and 1 multi-family are pretty realistic startup goals. I have already started to research my target areas and have a few zip codes in my sights. I have already signed up to attend next months meeting at the local REIA and I plan on becoming a member and a regular face there. I have been spending weekends out looking at open houses to meet people in the business. I have been having fun with the realtors by telling them "I'm not here to see the house, I am here to see you", then I launch in to a conversation about my upcoming business venture. I have met some great people this way and I am getting properties emailed to me daily already.

So you've just committed a few minutes of your life reading my intro and I'm about to hit you with an up-sale. That's right, I want something from you! I want you to keep sharing your knowledge and insight on the forums, blogs, and podcasts. I want you to connect with me via this site, email me, call me, let's get together and have a cup of coffee. I want you to share with me, be my realtor or lawyer, or whatever it is that you do. I don't have much to give at the moment but if you give to me now I will gladly give back, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Well, I should say I don't have much money or experience to give right now; I do have time and plenty of it. My full time job only requires that I work 3 days a week so unlike most of the world, I have plenty of free time. If you're working a deal and you need someone to demo a kitchen or change some light switches give me a call; I won't work for free but I will exchange work for knowledge. If you don't have any knowledge to share then I'll work for pretty cheep just to get a chance to get a closer look at what you are doing and how you're doing it. If you're not doing any demo work or changing any light switches but you are working a wholesale deal, I'd love to get involved in that somehow too. If you show me how you work a wholesale deal I'll let you demo a kitchen or change some light switches for me some day. Deal?

Thanks for reading guys and I look forward to meeting and working with you in the future.

Thanks,

Brian A. Listy

1Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

Hi Brian , and welcome to BP! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you’ll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Broomfield, CO · Member since 2013 · 390 posts · 125 votes
    12y

    Hi Brian, welcome to the forums. Lots of Colorado folks here!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome Brian! I am in Greeley not too far away.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    12y

    Welcome Brian! I have an office in Westminster that I'm at a few days a week, let me know if you want to grab coffee sometime (barnes and noble, 92nd and sheridan is my spot)!

  • Real Estate Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Welcome Brian,

    The Colorado investor family is growing! You will find lots of help here to get you rolling! Cheers,
    Ez

  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

    @Anson Young

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Brian L.! Sounds like you have a very solid business plan in place! This is probably too short of notice, but Pine Financial (in Denver) is having their annual round table meeting tonight at 6pm in Englewood. I haven't been to one but from what I've heard, it's great for networking. If you are interested, PM me for the details or just go to their website.

  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    Thank you @Account Closed

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    @Brian L. You're welcome, and I forgot to mention Kevin Amolsch (founder) did a podcast some time back here on BP.

  • Contractor · Blackfoot, ID · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 52 votes
    12y
    Welcome Brian !!
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hi Brian , and welcome to BP! I’m a ‘fix and hold’ investor from the Bay Area in CA, and loving it! But you’ll find a variety of every type of investor on the site, and everyone is amazingly helpful. Some pointers for you: The "Learn" link across the top navigation bar has lots of great info, and so do BP members! You can click on the ‘vote’ button if you like someone's post or is helpful, and there are ‘awards’ to earn on your profile. And you can tag people by typing @ before you type their name, then clicking their name at the bottom of the message box. Welcome to the site, and good luck in everything!

  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the info @J. Martin

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Welcome Brian,

    Take up @Anson Young on his offer to go to coffee, he does a lot of business, and has a great perspective.

    We are in Denver but just bought our first Westminster property. From my limited research, it seems like focusing on areas near the proposed "light rail" might be a good use of time. Let me know if I can help in any way.

  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Herb Dorn

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    @Brian L. welcome to the BP community!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Brian L. welcome to BP! I'm glad you're listening to the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

    See you around the site!

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Brian L. . Looks like you got the profile pic worked out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.