Newbie from Portland, Oregon

Newbie from Portland, Oregon

IT Project Manager · Gold River, CA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 4 votes

Hi Everybody. So much for having a unique subject, I saw two identical subjects in the related discussions. I found Biggerpockets thanks to an interview Josh did on the Eventual Millionaire Podcast and I just added the BP podcast to my play list.

So outside of owning my personal residences, I am completely new to Real Estate investment. I am very interested in multi-family dwellings with a dream of owning at least three properties to pass on one to each of my three kids. Definitely in it for the long haul with a view on growing my portfolio slowly.

There is an excellent REIA in my area. I have attended one meeting and will be a regular going forward. Really looking to meeting like-minded people in my area as well as learning from all of the great folks on this site.

3Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
12y

randy, welcome I too am from Portland and have been on BP one week. I see Stuart Fox chimed in.. Between Stuart and I we have done a few deals here in PDX.. Stuart was one of the largest FCL. buyers in our market and of course I have bought my share.. You will find it amazing to look at cash flow deals all across the country.. Although many folks on this site would think we are crazy to buy Cash flow rentals in PDX.. I just sent a few MLS listings over to one of my wifes clients.. Cap rates are 4 to 6%... A lot of the guys and gals on this site won't look at a rental if it is not 15 to 20% or much higher. But here in PDX we have the second strongest rental market in the entire US only behind San Jose CA. occupancy is 98% or better.. Tenant pool that basically will not trash your home as long as you keep tweakers out of it. And not much section 8 to speak of. Good luck on your hunt.. I know Anita and Courtney very well at the Beaverton RIA I have loaned money to them in the past for deals here in Oregon.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Randy Moog welcome to the site! Feel free to jump in the community here and also take advantage of the treasure of knowledge here.

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Broker · Sanford, NC · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 69 votes
    12y
    I admit I am a little jealous of this thread :) I am from Oregon originally, but live in Germany currently. I wish I was back in the Beaver State!
  • Real Estate Investor · Medford, OR · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I thought it was the Ducks state? :D

  • Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
    11y

    Hi Randy, Sounds like you have a great plan. A very successful investor said that the way to get rich in real estate is to by 7 properties, and treat your tenants like gold. Cheers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.