New to real estate investing and eager to learn

New to real estate investing and eager to learn

New to Real Estate · Southern Indiana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I'm very new to real estate investing really wanting to learn as much as I can. I have been watching numerous webinars and reading the plethora of information on BP which has been amazing. I have purchased a handful of books from the bookstore and am diving into them daily. 

Just wanted to introduce myself between videos and say hi.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

River SavaPro Member
Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

Hi Jon, welcome to BP!

Doing your due-diligence before jumping in is crucial. Curious what types of properties and markets you are exploring 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah BaconPro Member
    Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi Jon! Welcome to BiggerPockets and thanks for joining!

    Here are some tips for networking and making the most of your account.

    1) I'd fill out your profile fully before you do anything else! As that will at least help folks that you reach out to know that you are a real person, with a picture and professional bio. Particularly be sure to include your goals for real estate investing so that folks can help you.

    2) Follow your favorite forum topics and set up keyword alerts! Adding keywords related to your investment strategy or market locations can be updated in your settings. You’ll receive notifications when there is conversation in the forums you follow or if a user mentions those keywords—so keep them updated often!

    3) Check out some of the local meetups that you can find in this forum! There are so many so be sure to filter by your location.

    4) Review Dave Meyer’s The State of Real Estate Investing Report 2024 (in your resource page as a member of BiggerPockets!) for real estate investors available to all BiggerPockets members!

    5) Consider meeting with a few agents in your area even if you are just getting started! An investor friendly agent can do all sorts of helpful things, like setting you up with a search for properties or connecting you with folks who have recently done deals like the ones you want to do.

    6) Consider analyzing a deal or two in your local market, just for practice, with a free use of our Rental Property Calculator (or other calculators).

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 749 posts · 510 votes
    2y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

  • Rental Property Investor · Evansville · Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Jon, nice to see another BP listener in the Evansville area. If you have any questions just ask, people are really friendly on here. 

    also what books are you diving into and do you find to be most helpful? 

  • New to Real Estate · Southern Indiana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adrian Madden:

    Hi Jon, nice to see another BP listener in the Evansville area. If you have any questions just ask, people are really friendly on here. 

    also what books are you diving into and do you find to be most helpful? 

    Thanks Adrian, still learning what I can where I can and thus far BP has been a big help with understanding some of the things I have read about. BP thus far has been great, between the forums and the webinars, still learning the platform but man what a wealth of knowledge. 

    I actually got here to BP from reading David Greene's BRRRR book which I found helpful but as a newbie, a lot of the topics were more difficult to understand to I came here to learn more. I just purchased the Joshua Dorkin & Brandon Turner book How to Invest in Real Estate yesterday and plan on diving into that one this evening. I've got a few of the other books from the BP store but thought I need to get the basics down before jumping into them just yet. My investing experience has been with stocks and crypto up to this point so real estate is a much different avenue for me. 
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Welcome to the BP family @Jon Mitchell , you came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing!

    Wishing you the best!

  • River SavaPro Member
    Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi Jon, welcome to BP!

    Doing your due-diligence before jumping in is crucial. Curious what types of properties and markets you are exploring 

  • New to Real Estate · Southern Indiana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Jon Mitchell:
    Quote from @Adrian Madden:

    Hi Jon, nice to see another BP listener in the Evansville area. If you have any questions just ask, people are really friendly on here. 

    also what books are you diving into and do you find to be most helpful? 

    Thanks Adrian, still learning what I can where I can and thus far BP has been a big help with understanding some of the things I have read about. BP thus far has been great, between the forums and the webinars, still learning the platform but man what a wealth of knowledge. 

    I actually got here to BP from reading David Greene's BRRRR book which I found helpful but as a newbie, a lot of the topics were more difficult to understand to I came here to learn more. I just purchased the Joshua Dorkin & Brandon Turner book How to Invest in Real Estate yesterday and plan on diving into that one this evening. I've got a few of the other books from the BP store but thought I need to get the basics down before jumping into them just yet. My investing experience has been with stocks and crypto up to this point so real estate is a much different avenue for me. 

    "so real estate is a much different avenue for me."

    What's your goal?  (Full Disclosure, I coach students, but it's important to decide if your time is important)
    Read this post and investor to understand the pros and cons of having someone coach you through the process.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517/topics/1157435-look...

    Hi Ken,

    Thanks for the note and the link. I read through it and I believe I understand the value of a coach/mentor and I see where the OP mentioned that he felt like he would have benefited from having a mentor from the beginning, I'm not quite sure I am there yet. My journey has only recently begun and I am trying to learn as much as I can before diving in head first. I think at this moment, I wouldn't even begin to formulate intelligent enough questions to ask a mentor which would obviously be a waste of a mentor's as well as my own time. 
    That said, my focus that I have been investing my learning time into has been around Multi-family properties as rentals to then leverage those funds toward additional properties. (If that isn't the question you are asking I apologize but as I said, not sure I am in a position to asking the correct question nor know enough to answer them as well)
  • New to Real Estate · Southern Indiana · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dmitriy Fomichenko:

    Welcome to the BP family @Jon Mitchell , you came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing!

    Wishing you the best!

     Thanks Dmitriy, have learned a great deal just reading through these forums alone, not to mention the webinars and podcast.

    @River Sava Thank you for the welcome. I am still putting together my ideal market but I've narrowed it down to multi-family properties, smaller unit count, something 4 units and below and possibly in midsized college towns around Indiana or Kentucky. I am probably making the mistake of wanting to self managing them but it's at least the idea I have in mind.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.