Real Estate Rookie New to BiggerPockets

Real Estate Rookie New to BiggerPockets

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hey, BiggerPockets, I'm Faiyaz Hashmi from Chicago. I'm excited to be part of the community. I've been listening to BiggerPockets for about six months and recently got the Pro membership. I want to become a multi-family investor to achieve financial freedom. It's encouraging to hear all the stories of many successful real estate investors who started with nothing. I'm reading The MultiFamily Millionaire and want to use that as a blueprint. I also signed up for the Real Estate Rookie Bootcamp beginning in October.

Strategy: I have about $20k to put to work. I can potentially raise some additional funds from family and friends, but I want to get my 1st deal with the $20k. My wife and I both have good W2 jobs. One of my challenges might be that I'm still carrying undergrad and business school debt plus some credit card debt, so I'm still determining what financing might look like. I've been looking for a 2-4 unit building to access traditional financing for around $200k. I've been searching on Zillow to see what's out there and in what condition—targeting Class B in a decent area with a focus on cash flow. I'm open to suggestions on which areas. Ideally, if I can find something that provides a net cash flow of around $200ish for my 1stdeal, that would be great.

Any advice from the BiggerPockets community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1Reply
34 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dustin TuckerPro Member
    Lender · Savoy, TX · Member since 2020 · 187 posts · 78 votes
    2y

    Hello Fiyaz,

    I would look into doing a rehab project on a duplex, triplex, or quadplex. Those are easy to finance, and the financing is solely based on the properties income using a DSCR ratio for qualification.

    I would look for a property like this one, https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5810-21st-Ave-Kenosha-WI-...

    Lets say you could buy it for $100k, and its $50k in rehab, and ARV will be worth, $200k.

    When you do the rehab, make sure all the mechanical systems are brand new, then you will have relative few repairs for the next 3-5 years.

    I can get you a loan for $90k purchase, and $50k, rehab, once its finished you can refinance into a 30 year fixed rate loan between 6.5-6.8%, and cash flow.  The Refinace loan should get you most of your money back and you can go do it again.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Faiyaz Hashmi:

    Hey, BiggerPockets, I'm Faiyaz Hashmi from Chicago. I'm excited to be part of the community. I've been listening to BiggerPockets for about six months and recently got the Pro membership. I want to become a multi-family investor to achieve financial freedom. It's encouraging to hear all the stories of many successful real estate investors who started with nothing. I'm reading The MultiFamily Millionaire and want to use that as a blueprint. I also signed up for the Real Estate Rookie Bootcamp beginning in October.

    Strategy: I have about $20k to put to work. I can potentially raise some additional funds from family and friends, but I want to get my 1st deal with the $20k. My wife and I both have good W2 jobs. One of my challenges might be that I'm still carrying undergrad and business school debt plus some credit card debt, so I'm still determining what financing might look like. I've been looking for a 2-4 unit building to access traditional financing for around $200k. I've been searching on Zillow to see what's out there and in what condition—targeting Class B in a decent area with a focus on cash flow. I'm open to suggestions on which areas. Ideally, if I can find something that provides a net cash flow of around $200ish for my 1stdeal, that would be great.

    Any advice from the BiggerPockets community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

     Welcome to the forums!

    With a budget of $200k, your 2-4 options are going to be limited mostly to the south side of Chicago which is either going to be C or D class. With $20k your best bet is to house hack a duplex in one of those areas. But it sounds like you haven't spoken with a lender yet so your budget could be higher than you think.

    If you need a lender recommendation, shoot me a PM.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hello Hello @Faiyaz Hashmi!  Welcome to BP and the Chicago Real estate community!  

    You are clearly on the right track!  I'd suggest getting to as many in-person meetups as possible...the in-person energy is different and some of the best connections & friends have been through in-person meetups.  We have an in-person event on the 17th!

    Are you in a position where you could house hack, or are you looking strictly for an investment property with your $200k purchase price?  Making a deal work at that price point will be pretty tricky.  You may want to focus on your savings and networking for a couple of months...

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    @Jonathan Klemm, can you please share a link to the event on the 17th?

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Faiyaz Hashmi to be honest, I would focus on stacking up a bit more cash so you can be in an area you are excited about. House hacking requires you to live in the building and being able to get into a 300 or 350k place can make all the difference between having a Starbucks next to you or a vacant building. 

    Where do you live now? Are you in the city? Burbs? Where do you work? Start with the end in mind and building your investing to serve your life. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.