Trying to start real estate investing

Trying to start real estate investing

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all! I'm Natalie, a senior in college who is moving to Miami for my full-time job. I would love to start real estate investing, and I am thinking of house-hacking a 2-bedroom condo in Miami as there seems to be a good amount of units delivering in the Brickell area. I have a good amount in savings, and as a first-time homebuyer, I believe I can lock in a low interest rate. Please reach out if you have any tips; just here to learn!

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 15 votes
    1y

    Hi Natalie,

    Welcome to the exciting world of real estate investing! First off, let me say that starting your journey in Miami, especially in the Brickell area, is a sharp move. That neighborhood is buzzing with potential-young professionals, trendy developments, and a rental market that’s always in demand. A two-bedroom condo for house-hacking could be a golden opprotunity to kickstart your portfolio.

    I’ll share a quick story about a client of mine, Tony. He was fresh out of college and nervous about his first investment in Omaha, of all places (my home base). He bought a duplex, rented out one unit, and lived in the other. Within six months, he had a steady rental income, and two years later, he leveraged the equity to buy a fourplex. Brickell has that same kind of potential, but with even higher rent ceilings thanks to its location.

    A couple of things to keep in mind as you dive in:

    • Financing: As a first-time buyer, you might qualify for low down payment programs. From what I’ve read in the Wall Street Journal, locking in a low interest rate now could be a smart move given today’s economic trends. Be sure to run numbers with both a local lender and a national one to compare terms-sometimes smaller local firms can surprise you.
    • HOAs: Brickell condos often have HOA fees, which can eat into your cash flow. I had a friend in San Antonio who learned this the hard way. She bought a condo with lower-than-average dues, but a few months in, the HOA announced a special assessment for roof repairs. Be sure to dig into the HOA's finacials before you buy.
    • Renters: Miami attracts both long-term renters and short-term vacationers. While you might lean towards long-term tenants for stability, short-term rental platforms like Airbnb can yield higher profits if the building allows it.

    When you get to Miami, I'd recommend visiting a few meetups hosted by South Florida REIA. From what I've heard, they're fantastic for networking and picking up local insights. And don't be afraid to chat with leasing agents in Brickell-they can give you a boots-on-the-ground perspective on rental demand.

    Natalie, your story reminds me of a friend of mine, Alex, who house-hacked a two-bedroom condo in Phoenix. She rented out the second bedroom to a traveling nurse and found that the rental income not only covered half her mortgage but also let her save for her next property. Stories like hers-and hopefully yours-are what make real estate so exciting.

    Real estate can feel overwhelming at first, but trust me, you’ve got this. If you ever want to bounce ideas off someone or need a sounding board for a deal, I’m just a message away. It’s a blast helping new investors like you find their rhythm and start building wealth.

    Talk soon,
    Julian

    Turning investment visions into REALITY in Omaha, NE - Ranked #1 city to move to by Forbes Magazine.


  • Enzo Di PalmaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Income properties are an excellent way to start building your investment portfolio. A duplex, triplex, or fourplex is ideal because the more units, the more financing options banks may offer. I'd recommend steering away from condos due to high HOA fees, which can eat into returns. Right now, we're seeing a slight increase in inventory and some corrections in rents, which could create opportunities—but achieving solid cash flow on a condo can still be challenging.

    Getting pre-approved is a great first step to narrow down your options and focus on locations that make sense for your goals. As a realtor specializing in pre-construction, commercial, and investment properties, I’d be happy to answer any questions or help guide you through the process if you’re interested. Let me know how I can assist!

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    1y

    @Natalie Cao

    Welcome to the community and be ready for a huge amount of information at your finger tips. Be sure to check out the free tools BP provides to help analyze deals you may have and also market insights. Great tools that get updated regularly.

    I am on the lending side of things and would be happy to hop on a call with you anytime to discuss financial strategies and help answer any questions you may have about nearly any loan product available to help you on your journey, even if they are not products my capital partners offer.

    I am also fully licensed for primary and secondary homes in Florida.

    We are all here to help you learn and grow. Feel free to ask anything, anytime.

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.