New Investor Based in Atlanta

New Investor Based in Atlanta

New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes

Hey everyone! My name is Jenna, and I’m a new real estate investor based in Atlanta. My goal is to achieve financial freedom through house hacking and long-term rental properties. Right now, I’m looking to buy my first duplex, live in one unit, and rent out the other to offset my mortgage. I’m especially interested in value-add opportunities where I can renovate and increase equity.

I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share my journey along the way. If anyone has tips on house hacking, financing strategies, or DIY-friendly renovation loans, I’d love to hear your insights! Looking forward to being part of this community!

1Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Roswell, GA · Member since 2023 · 50 posts · 26 votes
1y

@Jenna Chen

Welcome! The Atlanta market is diverse, with each area offering its own unique character, investment potential, and future outlook. While some neighborhoods may seem attractive based on price alone, it’s crucial to avoid problematic areas that could pose long-term challenges. With my deep knowledge of Atlanta’s real estate landscape—both the hidden gems and areas to be wary of—I can help you navigate the market wisely. The key challenge is finding a property that meets your needs today while also offering strong long-term potential, and I’d be happy to guide you in making the best possible investment. I started in house hacking 10 years ago and it's been an amazing journey! Let's connect! 

Mark Faulkner 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jenna Chen:

    Hey everyone! My name is Jenna, and I’m a new real estate investor based in Atlanta. My goal is to achieve financial freedom through house hacking and long-term rental properties. Right now, I’m looking to buy my first duplex, live in one unit, and rent out the other to offset my mortgage. I’m especially interested in value-add opportunities where I can renovate and increase equity.

    I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share my journey along the way. If anyone has tips on house hacking, financing strategies, or DIY-friendly renovation loans, I’d love to hear your insights! Looking forward to being part of this community!

    Hi @Jenna Chen, welcome to the BP Forum! Are you looking in any certain area of ATL and do you have a price range for a purchase price that you're targeting?

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hey Jenna! I'm a 20 year old new real estate investor and would love to connect! I would love to hear your journey as I am going through mine as well. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen

    House hacking a value-add duplex in Atlanta is a smart strategy to build equity while keeping living costs low. The best areas to consider include East Point, West End, Kirkwood, Decatur (outside city limits), and Marietta, each offering a balance of affordability, appreciation, and rental demand. Since you'll be owner-occupying, take advantage of low down payment loans like FHA (3.5%), Conventional (5%), VA (0%), or a 203k loan for renovations. Focus on distressed properties needing cosmetic upgrades where the after-repair value (ARV) justifies the rehab costs.

    Good luck!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Jenna!  House hacking is such a smart way to get started, and your focus on value-add opportunities will set you up for success.

    -Julio

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen, keep in mind that there are other strategies and avenues to explore regarding house hack deals in metro ATL besides the classic duplex example. For instance, properties with an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) on the lot that can be implemented as a long-term or short-term rental can perform exceptionally well. Likewise, the same can be said for properties with in-law suites or finished basements.

    Have you considered or explored any particular ATL markets? FYI, a 203k FHA loan is not a DIY-friendly option. One requirement for this loan product is that the rehab must be completed by a licensed and insured contractor approved by the lender. To be blunt, this loan product can be very time-consuming and nuanced. Since this would be your first deal, I would advise targeting properties that only need a light cosmetic rehab.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2024 · 250 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen 

    Welcome to BP! 

    You most certainly are starting on the right foot, and have reachable goals set. 

    Wishing you the best on your future. 

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi Jaycee, thanks for the welcome! I’m still getting familiar with Atlanta and have been driving around to explore different areas. So far, I’ve looked at properties near Grove Park, Westside Park, and Decatur. I’d love to find a live-in property that’s conveniently located near the hospital I work at, so I’m mainly considering areas north, east, or west of the city. For a turnkey property, I’d like to stay under $400K, but if I find a good live-in flip opportunity, I’d prefer to stay under that price point. Still narrowing things down, so I’d appreciate any recommendations!

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Thank you, Meghan! I’m excited to put in the work and get started on this path.

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Appreciate the insight, Michael! I’ve mainly been looking at duplexes, but I’m definitely open to properties with ADUs, in-law suites, or finished basements if they make sense for house hacking. I’m still exploring different areas, but I’ve driven around and looked at properties near Grove Park, Westside Park, and Decatur. I also want to be in a good spot for my commute to the hospital, so I’m focusing on areas north, east, or west of the city.

    Good to know about the 203k loan—I was hoping to do some of the work myself, so that might not be the best fit. I’ll keep that in mind and look for properties that need mostly cosmetic updates. I think that’s a good idea, and it offers a soft launch to my real estate journey, like you said. Thanks again for the advice!

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Thank you, Julio! I have much to learn, but I am excited for this opportunity.

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the great advice! I love the idea of house hacking a value-add duplex. The areas you mentioned, like East Point and West End, sound promising. I'll definitely look into those. As of now, I want to focus on distressed properties needing light upgrades to ensure the ARV justifies the rehab costs, or I'll consider a turnkey property if it's in a good location. Thanks again Wale!

  • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi @Jessie Baker! How has your process been going so far? Has the BP platform been a good place for you to learn new things and connect with others?

    • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 2 votes
      1y

      @Jenna Chen it's going great! I've been learning as much as I can. The bigger pockets calculators definitely help a lot. But I still got a lot of explore with bigger pockets 

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen,

    Congrats at making your start in REI. The community at BP is a great place to start.

    It looks like you are on the right track with your strategy.  i would recomend this to most new incestoes.  Do you have a W2 job in Atlanta?

    Best of luck.

    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
      1y

      @Todd Anderson 

      Thank you! I really appreciate the support from this platform. Yes, I work as a nurse here in Atlanta! I definitely want to continue in my field—not just because I enjoy it, but also because it allows me to keep investing without dipping into the cash flow from my soon to be units. I appreciate your comment!

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    1y

    Hey Jenna, welcome to the BP community! Wishing you the best on your real estate journey.

    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
      1y

      @Jay Thomas 

      Hi Jay! I thank you so much! 

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Jenna! 

    Love the value-add strategy! Renovating a duplex can boost cash flow and long-term wealth. Excited to see your progress!

    -Julio

  • Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jenna Chen:

    Hey everyone! My name is Jenna, and I’m a new real estate investor based in Atlanta. My goal is to achieve financial freedom through house hacking and long-term rental properties. Right now, I’m looking to buy my first duplex, live in one unit, and rent out the other to offset my mortgage. I’m especially interested in value-add opportunities where I can renovate and increase equity.

    I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share my journey along the way. If anyone has tips on house hacking, financing strategies, or DIY-friendly renovation loans, I’d love to hear your insights! Looking forward to being part of this community!


    Hi Jenna,

    If you ever need a home inspection, let me know and I will gladly assist you.

    www.inspectingga.com

    • New to Real Estate · Atlanta · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 5 votes
      1y

      @Andrew Bain  Thanks! I'll keep you in mind! 

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 100 posts · 24 votes
    1y

    Hi Jenna, congrats on taking the first steps. I'm happy to be a resource for you - let's connect!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Roswell, GA · Member since 2023 · 50 posts · 26 votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen

    Welcome! The Atlanta market is diverse, with each area offering its own unique character, investment potential, and future outlook. While some neighborhoods may seem attractive based on price alone, it’s crucial to avoid problematic areas that could pose long-term challenges. With my deep knowledge of Atlanta’s real estate landscape—both the hidden gems and areas to be wary of—I can help you navigate the market wisely. The key challenge is finding a property that meets your needs today while also offering strong long-term potential, and I’d be happy to guide you in making the best possible investment. I started in house hacking 10 years ago and it's been an amazing journey! Let's connect! 

    Mark Faulkner 

  • Lender · GA · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hi Jenna, we are out of Canton and own many properties in Georgia and Florida. My wife is a realtor and my sons are MLO's and we started a lending company last year :)

    We do STR's mostly personally with our own properties and self manage all of them. We've been doing this for over 20 years and have helped friends, families and tenants get into the game in whatever capacity they need. If you need some help finding a place, lending for it or just need some advice on some stuff just give us a call and will be happy to point you in right direction.

    Thanks and good luck,

    Rich 

  • Developer · Palm City, FL · Member since 2018 · 326 posts · 99 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jenna Chen:

    Hey everyone! My name is Jenna, and I’m a new real estate investor based in Atlanta. My goal is to achieve financial freedom through house hacking and long-term rental properties. Right now, I’m looking to buy my first duplex, live in one unit, and rent out the other to offset my mortgage. I’m especially interested in value-add opportunities where I can renovate and increase equity.

    I’m here to learn from experienced investors, connect with like-minded people, and share my journey along the way. If anyone has tips on house hacking, financing strategies, or DIY-friendly renovation loans, I’d love to hear your insights! Looking forward to being part of this community!

    Welcome to BP! @Jenna Chen

  • Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 29 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the community Jenna!

  • Property Manager · Eastern Region, US · Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP, Jenna, and excited to see another investor joining us in Atlanta! I generally work with home owners looking for long term management, but I do work with a local broker with access to off-market deals, and he sees a lot of activity in the area. Always happy to pass over a warm referral if needed!

  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    1y

    @Jenna Chen

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Bigger Pockets is a great place for education and networking. 

    Good luck. 

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.