Wife and I are very close to purchasing our first STR!

Wife and I are very close to purchasing our first STR!

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone!

My wife and I have built up some significant savings and are highly interested and excited to purchase our first STR in the near future.
We enjoy the pan-handle of Florida as well as the Southwest coast (Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples).  We would be open to other East coast beach destinations as well.

Our goal is to be able to visit the property a few weeks and rent it out other parts of the year.

We have a few criteria that would be preferred:

- Single family home

- within a golf cart drive to the beach

- private pool

- $350-500k

It would be great to build some relationships in this community to learn about some opportunities in the market!


Thanks,
Collin 

7Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Castle Pines CO · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 10 votes
1y

hello. Reach out to me privately. I am closing, i'm the seller, on June 26. It took me 70 days to sell my home and I am three minutes walk from the beach across the street in Panama City Beach. I've been running my STR remotely from Colorado for three years and decided to sell. I can help you. I'm not a real estate agent 🙈

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Perry:

    Hi everyone!

    My wife and I have built up some significant savings and are highly interested and excited to purchase our first STR in the near future.
    We enjoy the pan-handle of Florida as well as the Southwest coast (Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples).  We would be open to other East coast beach destinations as well.

    Our goal is to be able to visit the property a few weeks and rent it out other parts of the year.

    We have a few criteria that would be preferred:

    - Single family home

    - within a golf cart drive to the beach

    - private pool

    - $350-500k

    It would be great to build some relationships in this community to learn about some opportunities in the market!


    Thanks,
    Collin 


    I come from that area and know how expensive things can be. Are you finding a lot of properties that meet your criteria within your price range? A golf cart ride to the beach for 500k seems like a stretch. 

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 8 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dominic Mazzarella:
      Quote from @Collin Perry:

      Hi everyone!

      My wife and I have built up some significant savings and are highly interested and excited to purchase our first STR in the near future.
      We enjoy the pan-handle of Florida as well as the Southwest coast (Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples).  We would be open to other East coast beach destinations as well.

      Our goal is to be able to visit the property a few weeks and rent it out other parts of the year.

      We have a few criteria that would be preferred:

      - Single family home

      - within a golf cart drive to the beach

      - private pool

      - $350-500k

      It would be great to build some relationships in this community to learn about some opportunities in the market!


      Thanks,
      Collin 


      I come from that area and know how expensive things can be. Are you finding a lot of properties that meet your criteria within your price range? A golf cart ride to the beach for 500k seems like a stretch. 


       Yeah, we may be priced out of the panhandle market for $500k based on our criteria.  We don't have much experience in visiting other coastal markets, but would be open to exploring Georgia or the Carolinas if it met majority of them.

    • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 77 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Collin Perry:
      Quote from @Dominic Mazzarella:
      Quote from @Collin Perry:

      Hi everyone!

      My wife and I have built up some significant savings and are highly interested and excited to purchase our first STR in the near future.
      We enjoy the pan-handle of Florida as well as the Southwest coast (Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples).  We would be open to other East coast beach destinations as well.

      Our goal is to be able to visit the property a few weeks and rent it out other parts of the year.

      We have a few criteria that would be preferred:

      - Single family home

      - within a golf cart drive to the beach

      - private pool

      - $350-500k

      It would be great to build some relationships in this community to learn about some opportunities in the market!


      Thanks,
      Collin 


      I come from that area and know how expensive things can be. Are you finding a lot of properties that meet your criteria within your price range? A golf cart ride to the beach for 500k seems like a stretch. 


       Yeah, we may be priced out of the panhandle market for $500k based on our criteria.  We don't have much experience in visiting other coastal markets, but would be open to exploring Georgia or the Carolinas if it met majority of them.


       Welcome to the BP community, you'll find a lot of good stuff here.  If you're considering the Carolinas you should look into areas in the southern part of North Carolina like Topsail, Carolina beach, Oak Island.  The prices are in your range, and they're areas that are getting more updated.  The weather is comfortable all year (minus hurricane season) so it's good for rentals in the of season and not to far from Wilmington.  

  • Investor · Castle Pines CO · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    hello. Reach out to me privately. I am closing, i'm the seller, on June 26. It took me 70 days to sell my home and I am three minutes walk from the beach across the street in Panama City Beach. I've been running my STR remotely from Colorado for three years and decided to sell. I can help you. I'm not a real estate agent 🙈

  • Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    As you venture into the short-term rental (STR) world, it's crucial to understand the tax implications of this investment strategy.

    Income from STRs is often treated as active income, particularly if you are actively managing the property yourself. In this case, the income may be subject to self-employment tax, which is currently 15.3%. However, there are tax planning strategies available to potentially reduce or avoid this self-employment tax liability. One common approach involves structuring your ownership and operations through multiple entities. For example, you could hold the STR property in one LLC, which then leases the property on a long-term basis to another LLC that is taxed as a C Corporation. This second LLC would be responsible for the actual short-term rental operations. This type of entity layering can help shift the income in a way that changes its tax treatment.

    That said, implementing this kind of strategy requires careful planning and precise execution to stay compliant with IRS rules. It’s strongly recommended that you consult with qualified professionals, specifically, a tax advisor experienced in real estate and an asset protection attorney who understands entity structuring and tax implications. These professionals can help you design a structure that aligns with your financial goals, provides legal protection, and minimizes your tax burden.

    Establishing the right advisory team at the outset can make a significant difference. It can help you avoid costly mistakes, ensure compliance, and give you peace of mind as your short-term rental business grows.

    Wishing you success!

    Disclaimer: This message is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication. Please consult with qualified professionals regarding your specific situation.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Collin,

    I am a realtor in the SWFL area and reside in Fort Myers. The area is great for STR properties and is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Based on your criteria, I am sure we could find something for you! I would be happy to connect with you to discuss more, if interested!

  • Myrtle Mike ThompsonBusiness Member
    Realtor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2016 · 352 posts · 204 votes
    1y

    @Collin Perry I'd be happy to chat with you about some options in Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle.  Tough to find one under $500k with a private pool, but there are some small (6-12 unit) communities that share a pool, which will reduce your expenses - and still rent well.  

  • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi Collin! I'm a blogger, investor, and agent specializing in STR. I'm located in Michigan and am on an international real estate team. I have a rockstar agent in Cape Coral/Ft. Lauderdale I'd love to introduce you to who can help with your investment. 

    I'm also an STR business coach and can continue to help you set up your business for success long after the transaction is closed. With us, you'll have the support of two collaborative agents to help you navigate the strong buyer's market the area is experiencing.

    My contact info is on my website below. Please reach out for a free consultation and referral!

    Audrey Schultz

    ListWithAudrey.com

    eXp Realty | Legacy Group International

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    Make sure you check the market satuation out as many popular STR markets are experiencing significant drops in tourism, which is leading to increasing vacancies, forcing owners to cut prices:(

    • Member since 2025 · 20 posts · 3 votes
      1y

      @Drew Sygit I agree. Supply has exploded in previous years and made competition more difficult. It's important to research comps and make your property stand out from the crowd. That's why I've focused on the niche of large group stays where there are less properties for guests to choose from. 

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hey Collin, congrats to you and your wife on getting ready for your first short-term rental! STRs can be a fantastic way to generate income while enjoying your own vacation spot — sounds like you’ve got a solid plan.

    Your criteria make sense, and Florida's panhandle and southwest coast are popular STR markets with strong demand. A few tips as you move forward:

    • Look for properties near popular beaches but also consider proximity to local attractions and amenities to maximize occupancy.
    • Make sure to check local STR regulations — some cities have restrictions or licensing requirements.
    • Building a reliable local property manager or cleaning team is key for smooth operations when you’re not there.
    • Consider your financing options carefully; some lenders have special programs for STRs.

    Engaging with this community and local meetups will definitely help you find deals and trusted service providers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.