Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
I'm 20 y/o and I'm new to the world of real estate investing. I've seen most of my peers live their lives paycheck to paycheck. People of my generation are more interested in buying 300+ dollar sneakers rather than investing in stocks and shares for the company or manufacturer who makes them. I think differently I'm willing to take a stab at investing and build a future for myself. I've heard that many investors wished they would've started at a young age, I don't plan on saying that 20 years from now. I'm someone who listens and the best way to be successful is learning from those who came before us.
Investor · lehigh valley, PA · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 23 votes
12y
Im 24 right now and have 3 SFH and put 100% of my money I can into real estate. I got my first one by getting a cheap fixer upper and rehabbing it all myself to build equity and pulling the equity out to buy more. If your pretty handy I would look for a fixer upper. First investment property is the most important to make sure you start off right. Location is most important to me also.
Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
12y
Thank you and I'm currently living in FL but I'm moving to Virginia soon. I'm looking to do more research on properties in Pennsylvania preferably in Philly. I've still got a lot of research to do.
House Flipper · East Stroudsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 205 votes
12y
Welcome to the BP family. You have already experienced some of the benefits of the forum. Go to the tool bar and start exploring. Some excellent information in the podcast library as well the "learn section". Use the keyword tool to keep informed on topics of interest. Again, welcome aboard.
Investor · Hampton Roads Va · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 17 votes
12y
welcome to BP Noel! There's a lot of valuable information as well as some great people on here. Research the Podcast section on BP. What part of VA you moving to?
Investor / Developer / GC · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 229 posts · 39 votes
12y
welcome to BP. Get engaged with the community and learn as much as you can until you're ready to do your first transaction. Then when you find that sweet deal push through the unknown and before you know it you'll be a pro!
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Noel Rodriguez not sure what you mean by 300+ sneakers I believe high end financed watches is the trendy thing to buy right now, I guess that's what the late 20's crowd likes to invest in lol. Make the commitment to REI at your age and you will reap the benefits. While your friends are financing clothing, cars, and vacations you will be investing your time to find ways to create good debt, in the form of REI. The best part of this is all the people you know buying flashy things will need a place to rent since the sneaker investment offers minimal return.
Tarrytown, NY · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
12y
I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. @Jose Garcia I'm moving to virginia beach in about two weeks. I've already started doing research on rentals in Philly that range from 8-10k I'm planning on spending most of my weekends working on my first property. The way I see things is if I can fix something why would I pay for it to be done? Of course they're going to be things to be fixed by a professional but I'd like to stay under my budget which is 15k. I can't wait to see what the future holds. The community in BP seems to be very approachable I appreciate it.
Investor · Dillsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 17 votes
12y
@Noel Rodriguez welcome to BP, let me know if you're interested in looking in the Harrisburg area - my neck of the woods.
@John Moore I checked out your website, but didn't see anything about "rehabs." Do you do any work on properties that would potentially make good vacation rentals? I've been casually looking for such a property for a couple years, Poconos would be ideal for us.
@Jimmy S. are you near the Lehighton or Jim Thorpe areas?
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y
Hey @Noel Rodriguez Thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.
Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "City" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.