Total Rookie Excited to be Here

Total Rookie Excited to be Here

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone!

I have been watching from the sidelines for a while and I think I am ready to get a little more serious about investing in real estate. I am currently exploring a few tertiary markets in NC and VA where I am interested in buying smaller SFR needing little to no light renovations.


I would love some thoughts on one market I am considering.  My small hometown in NC is not especially interesting or exciting for any reason.  The numbers are fair but not amazing.  BUT my father has owned a construction company there for 50+ years, knows everyone, and lives there.  We are not especially close but I know he would help me with recommendations, checking out homes, maybe even some reno work and fixes when needed.  He also would have insider info on off market deals.  My question is does that add enough value to make a less than amazing market appealing enough to go for it? 


Thanks everyone!  Can't wait to learn more and contribute to the community.

4Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Sean GrahamBusiness Member
Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
1y

Totally get where you’re coming from. Having someone local you trust, especially with 50+ years in construction is a big deal, even if the market isn’t amazing. That kind of support can make things a lot smoother starting out. 

Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    It certainly sounds like you have some unique advantages that could make this opportunity worthwhile. Having a trusted local connection, especially someone with extensive experience in construction, can significantly reduce risks and costs associated with renovation and maintenance. Additionally, your father's insight into off-market deals and local market trends can give you a competitive edge, potentially uncovering properties that might not be apparent at first glance.

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
    1y

    Totally get where you’re coming from. Having someone local you trust, especially with 50+ years in construction is a big deal, even if the market isn’t amazing. That kind of support can make things a lot smoother starting out. 

    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Your hometown may not be the best "secret" market or up and coming place that gets you a home run of a deal, but it's likely the place you feel most comfortable taking action. 

    It's like a workout regimen or diet - the best one is the one that you will actually stay consistent in doing. You know the neighborhoods where people want to live, have some local resources, and probably feel a lot safer getting started there. It's a great place to get the first one and figure out if this is something that you want to do. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    Thank you all for that feedback!  This really helps me feel more confident in going in that direction.  I think you're right about comfort level and protection against any serious unknowns.  My Dad can build a house from nothing in no time so even if I got into a bad position with house condition, I would have a lot of help to keep the costs down.  And he would never let me get something we didn't know everything about anyway.  Thanks again!  Now I have a comfortable starting place :)

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 455 votes
    1y

    Jaime, local knowledge and a trusted construction contact are powerful advantages, especially for a new investor. While your hometown market may not have the highest returns, your father’s network could give you access to off-market deals, accurate rehab cost estimates, and reliable help, all of which reduce risk and surprises.

    If the numbers still meet your minimum return goals, those built-in resources might make the market worth pursuing, particularly for your first few deals. You can always use it as a stepping stone before branching into stronger markets.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey! I think having those local connections, especially with your dad’s experience, adds significant value. Even if the market isn’t booming, you can leverage your construction knowledge, access to off-market deals, and network to find properties at a better price, manage renovations more cost-effectively, and potentially get better tenant leads. This can offset the less-than-amazing market conditions. I’d suggest focusing on the numbers, looking at cash flow, cap rates, and potential appreciation. If you can secure properties at a good price, the local advantages could lead to solid returns. Also, even in slower markets, steady cash flow can make for a reliable long-term investment, especially if you’re able to keep renovation costs low and manage things efficiently. Sometimes, local knowledge is worth more than market hype, so I’d say it’s definitely worth considering.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.