New Investor/ Realtor - San Diego

New Investor/ Realtor - San Diego

Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes

Hello BiggerPockets members!

I am pretty new to the real estate industry and real estate investing with just under a year of experience. I got started after hating my finance job which resulted in me quitting my job and moving across the country to San Diego from Buffalo, NY. I found a job as a real estate assistant in a local brokerage and things started to progress from there. I am now in a similar role with a major rehab company and will be helping them to develop marketing programs. I will also be getting my CA Real Estate license very soon (I'm expecting to take the test in 2 weeks).

As far as investing experience, my fiance and I purchased a single family home in November located in Tennessee. We have never seen it but we are very happy with it so far. We are considering purchasing 2-3 similar properties this year, but are also open to other strategies/ opportunities.

Our goal is to try and earn $5,000 per month in relatively passive income by 2019, which we would then use to fund our travels around the world. Were ambitious but hope that by getting started early we can hit our goal.

I know that I have a lot to learn and am eager to dive deeper into BiggerPockets. I am relatively tech savvy and I have some experience with marketing/ social media and some basic web design (Wordpress, Squarespace, etc.). I would be interested to work with others and offer my strengths for advice/ experience.

-John

1Reply
20 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Howdy and welcome, are you working with the CT Homes folks?

    just a hunch!

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Hey @John Steele

    Welcome to BP! Good luck on your REI future.

  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Jordan Thibodeau Thanks!

    @Tim G. Yes I just started with them this week, I started out in their brokerage back in June 2013.

    @Antonio Chasten Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Welcome, John!

  • Real Estate Investor · San Marcos, CA · Member since 2011 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @John Steele - Welcome to BP and welcome to San Diego!

  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Samuel H. Bolton Thanks!

    @Brian Daly Thanks! San Diego has got to be one of the best places to live, I absolutely love it here.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @John Steele welcome

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Welcome John!

    I'm similarly new to BP and REI, but a native to the San Diego area. Hope to see you at the local REIAs!

  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Ryan J. Thanks! I have started to go to some of the meetups that my company has but should be going to more. Could you possibly send me a link about some of the local REIAs in SD?

  • Levi K.Pro Member
    San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Hello John,

    Reading your story it is I am reading mine.

    I have also moved from NY to heaven on earth - SD. In addition I am also I year old in the investing world.

    There is one meetup today that I am going to:

    http://www.meetup.com/FIBI-San-Diego-Investment-Club/

    Address:

    Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
    15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd
    Del Mar, CA 92014

    Hope to see you! Welcome to BP!

    Regards,

    Levi

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @John Steele (I'm on a work computer, so I'm not sure it will tag you) I went to last month's North San Diego Real Estate Investing Assoc meeting and it was great. Some other members on BP also go.

    http://www.nsdrei.org/
    Tuesday May 20 is the next one. It's in Oceanside at the El Camino Country Club Golf Course.

    There's also the San Diego Creative Investors Assoc

    http://sdcia.com/
    Which is meeting May 13 at the Scottish Rite Center (which I believe is off the 8 - yes, now that you live on the West Coast you have to say THE before a freeway).
    I hope to go to that one as well.

    Hopefully I'll see you at one or both!

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @John Steele welcome to the site! It's great to have you here. Feel free to ask any questions in the forums. Seeya around!

  • Investor · Rosharon, TX · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Hi there John Steele and welcome to BP! I think you will find an amazing amount of REI wisdom here. I recommend listening to all 67 podcasts, networking with some locals via meet ups, and browsing the forums for the more specific advice available from seasoned investors. Your goal for passive income is attainable and may even happen sooner than you think. Good luck and happy investing!
  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Levi K. Thanks! Unfortunately I could not make it to that even yesterday but I will keep it in mind for the future.

    @Ryan J. Thanks for the info! I am going to try to make it to one of these (probably the one on May 20th). I will try and send you a message if I am definitely going.

    @Brandon Turner Thanks, I am loving all of the information!

  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Mike Watts Thanks Mike! I have heard good things about the podcasts from the friend that referred me to BP. I downloaded the app, once I am done with the book I'm listening to now, the podcasts are the next on my list.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Eugene, OR · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    @John Steele -

    I know an active investor in SD, but I don't think he's on BP.

    Let me know if you want his contact info.

  • Real Estate Agent/ Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    @Travis Daggett Feel free to send it my way! What sort of investing is he doing?

  • Involved In Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @John Steele

    Welcome to San Diego! I am also new in the real estate world, I have just received my license and am interested in wholesaling/investing as well. Please feel free to connect any time! Good luck and when you get your re license I am part of a firm that has a passive income opportunity, let me know if you are interested.

    Nathalie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.