Newby to Real Estate Investing

Newby to Real Estate Investing

Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hello, I am completely new to real estate investing. I casually keep up with it. My background is IT for Federal Government enterprise systems. I wish to switch up. Any type of advice is welcome, whether it is recommended courses, or people to follow, or weibnars to look out for.

Thank

3Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Quote from @David Chika:

Hello, I am completely new to real estate investing. I casually keep up with it. My background is IT for Federal Government enterprise systems. I wish to switch up. Any type of advice is welcome, whether it is recommended courses, or people to follow, or weibnars to look out for.

Thank

Welcome to the world of real estate investing! If you have local real estate meetups you can attend, that'd be great. BP Podcast helps a lot, too. For a first deal, house hacking’s a solid move, but if you’re investing out of state, it’s best to first find a local, investor-friendly realtor who really knows the area.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    Hey David, that’s awesome you’re looking to make the switch. Coming from an IT background actually gives you a huge advantage since you already think in systems and processes, which translates really well into real estate investing.

    I'd recommend starting with a mix of learning and networking. BiggerPockets podcasts are great especially episodes on long distance investing and BRRRR strategy. If you prefer reading, Long Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene is a solid foundation. For live learning, keep an eye out for local or virtual REI meetups because they're great places to build your network and find potential mentors.

    Are you thinking about buying locally or exploring out of state markets to start?

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    Thank you for your reply, and for the information. Looking forward to getting started. I am not restricted to local because I imagine the Washington DC DMV may not necessary be optimally priced. Open to any location

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @David Chika:

    Hello, I am completely new to real estate investing. I casually keep up with it. My background is IT for Federal Government enterprise systems. I wish to switch up. Any type of advice is welcome, whether it is recommended courses, or people to follow, or weibnars to look out for.

    Thank

    Hey David, welcome to BiggerPockets! Since you're brand new, the best thing you can do right now is focus on learning the basics—things like analyzing deals, understanding financing, and getting familiar with different investment strategies. BP podcasts and forums are honestly some of the best free education out there, and YouTube channels like BiggerPockets, Pace Morby, and Graham Stephan can help too. But also don’t get stuck only learning—start talking to investors, going to local meetups, and analyzing real deals so you build confidence. Since you mentioned wanting to potentially switch careers, long-distance investing can be a great option, and I'd definitely take a look at Columbus, Ohio. I moved here from Portland in 2020 and now own 10+ rentals because the fundamentals are awesome—fast population and job growth, huge companies moving here like Intel, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Honda, LG, Facebook, and more, plus it's still affordable where you can find properties around $120–180k that hit the 1% rule and positive cash flow. Tons of appreciation potential too and it's landlord-friendly which helps a ton. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    Thank you

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @David Chika:

    Hello, I am completely new to real estate investing. I casually keep up with it. My background is IT for Federal Government enterprise systems. I wish to switch up. Any type of advice is welcome, whether it is recommended courses, or people to follow, or weibnars to look out for.

    Thank

    Welcome to the world of real estate investing! If you have local real estate meetups you can attend, that'd be great. BP Podcast helps a lot, too. For a first deal, house hacking’s a solid move, but if you’re investing out of state, it’s best to first find a local, investor-friendly realtor who really knows the area.
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11mo

    @David Chika

    Hi David.  Welcome.  I've benefited from some of the BP podcasts, especially the older ones, as well as the Rental Income Podcast with Dan Lane.

    I am happy to answer any questions you have.   No one should sugarcoat how difficult the market is right now for a new investor.  Understanding that the immediate DC market is exceptionally expensive, I'd encourage you to pick a market within 1-2 hours rather than one thousands of miles away.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @David Chika:

    Hello, I am completely new to real estate investing. I casually keep up with it. My background is IT for Federal Government enterprise systems. I wish to switch up. Any type of advice is welcome, whether it is recommended courses, or people to follow, or weibnars to look out for.

    Thank


     BP is a good place to start. I would listen to the podcasts before buying a course or buying a mentor

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.