New to BP, with innovative ideas

New to BP, with innovative ideas

WY · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 5 votes

My name is Aleta. I have been studying multiple Real Estate investing strategies for a few years. I am also in recovery mode from a few guru "classes". I inherited my first rental property and plan to hold that for as long as I can. I have been going through Section 8 with it because I rent to my Aunt who is on a fixed income. I have identified many of the flippers in my area are only focusing on the workforce family homes. I would like to turn my focus to 55+ housing solutions. Many of my friends and family are facing affordability issues and I wind up hearing ALL about it. I have an idea that I need to get some input on. My initial business structure would need to be a hybrid 501c pared with an LLC. I would love to meet some members in this community that would be interested in brainstorming with me to help my plan come to life.

4Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo

Hey @Aleta Ulery, Section 8 was a great first step, and if you're serious about the nonprofit + LLC structure, I'd just recommend talking with a real estate attorney who understands mission-based housing models.

Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 935 votes
    10mo

    @Aleta Ulery

    Hey Aleta, sounds like you have a really thoughtful approach, focusing on 55+ housing and community impact. I work with investors across the Midwest and have seen a lot of creative structures that mix nonprofit goals with LLC ownership to make deals work financially while serving the community. One thing that helps is connecting with local investors, property managers, and lenders early to validate ideas and find partners. If you want, I can share some examples and resources that have worked for others pursuing socially-minded real estate projects.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey @Aleta Ulery, Section 8 was a great first step, and if you're serious about the nonprofit + LLC structure, I'd just recommend talking with a real estate attorney who understands mission-based housing models.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Aleta Ulery:

    My name is Aleta. I have been studying multiple Real Estate investing strategies for a few years. I am also in recovery mode from a few guru "classes". I inherited my first rental property and plan to hold that for as long as I can. I have been going through Section 8 with it because I rent to my Aunt who is on a fixed income. I have identified many of the flippers in my area are only focusing on the workforce family homes. I would like to turn my focus to 55+ housing solutions. Many of my friends and family are facing affordability issues and I wind up hearing ALL about it. I have an idea that I need to get some input on. My initial business structure would need to be a hybrid 501c pared with an LLC. I would love to meet some members in this community that would be interested in brainstorming with me to help my plan come to life.


     I definitely get you. A lot of investors fall into the guru/course trap. This is definitely the best community to be apart of where you can learn almost everything for free. I'd look into doing the brrrr and flip strategey. That is the best way to build wealth with a little bit of capital. I'd also focus on upping your active income by doing whatever is needed in the beginning. 

    Then you can leverage the income through flips. Find a good market in the midwest that is landlord-friendly and use agent-finder tool on bp to find a good agent. 

    Have the agent connect you with hard money lenders/dscr lenders, general contractors, and property manager. They will give you off-market deals.

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    10mo

    Aleta, I love your heart for 55+ housing and the clarity you've gained from those "guru class" lessons. Two quick tips: pressure‑test demand by talking to local senior centers and PMs about waitlists, rents, and must‑have amenities, and get a quick consult with an attorney on the 501c + LLC structure so your mission work and investment ops stay clean and fundable.

    What's your first move—pilot a single 55+ rental in a target neighborhood or draft the nonprofit/LLC outline to share with potential partners?

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    @Aleta Ulery, you are thinking about a meaningful niche and Arman made a good point about combining nonprofit goals with investment structures. From a tax perspective, a hybrid setup can work, but it requires very clear separation between your 501c activities and your LLC activities. The nonprofit must operate strictly for a charitable purpose, while the LLC handles the rental operations and receives the income.

    The key is that the nonprofit cannot provide private benefits to the LLC. If the nonprofit is involved in tenant screening, education programs, or community support, that is usually fine. If the LLC owns the properties, it can take depreciation, deduct expenses, and use other rental tax strategies. The nonprofit side cannot pass tax benefits to you personally, but it can support the mission of providing affordable housing for 55 plus residents.

    Since you inherited your first rental, make sure you start with the correct step up in basis. That gives you a fresh depreciation schedule and improves the long term tax efficiency of keeping the property. Understanding your new basis helps you plan future renovations, capital improvements, and potential expansions under your 55 plus housing idea.

    If structured correctly, the LLC can grow your rental portfolio while the nonprofit side strengthens the community impact you want to create.

    Good luck, and I'm happy to connect.


    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • WY · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    10mo

    Thank you all for your insight and words of wisdom.  I will start connecting with you soon. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.