Learned real estate investing hands-on, managing 30+ properties since 2017

Learned real estate investing hands-on, managing 30+ properties since 2017

Rental Property Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 12 votes

Hey everyone! I currently own 30+ long-term rentals and operate one short term rental with my wife. Learned everything hands-on using the BRRRR method, lots of trial and error, spreadsheets, and late nights.

One thing I’ve learned: the right market matters just as much as the right property. That’s why I dove into market data (vacancy trends, income growth, population shifts, and bedroom-level cash flow) and eventually built Heatmap Housing to make analyzing ZIP codes faster and smarter.

I’d love to connect with other investors scaling out-of-state or looking to grow past the early stages.

What markets are you keeping your eye on for 2026?

— Landon

3Reply
145 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
    7mo

    Hi @Landon Mickelberry nice to meet you here on BP! I run a real estate investing club focused on helping members scale long term and short term rentals. Love your approach, totally agree  market matters!

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 12 votes
    7mo

    @G. Brian Davis I appreciate it, thank you very much! 

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 248 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Landon Mickelberry:

    Hey everyone! I currently own 30+ long-term rentals and operate one short term rental with my wife. Learned everything hands-on using the BRRRR method, lots of trial and error, spreadsheets, and late nights.

    One thing I’ve learned: the right market matters just as much as the right property. That’s why I dove into market data (vacancy trends, income growth, population shifts, and bedroom-level cash flow) and eventually built Heatmap Housing to make analyzing ZIP codes faster and smarter.

    I’d love to connect with other investors scaling out-of-state or looking to grow past the early stages.

    What markets are you keeping your eye on for 2026?

    — Landon

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community, @Landon Mickelberry. Owner of maven cost segregation here. It's great to connect with a fellow data-driven investor who has successfully scaled a massive 30+ unit BRRRR portfolio!

    Since you've been rehabbing and holding properties since 2017, running a retroactive "look-back" cost segregation study across your portfolio could instantly capture years of missed depreciation, freeing up massive tax savings to fuel your 2026 out-of-state acquisitions.

    Glad to help when needed!



    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.