Hi. Im a newbie here

Hi. Im a newbie here

New to Real Estate · philadelphia · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 3 votes

Hi! Nice to meet you. I'm Celine. I have experience flipping three properties back in LA. At the time, I hadn't been in the U.S. for very long and my English wasn't strong, so I worked with a company that handled the process on my behalf. Since then, I bought a business in Manhattan—but *sigh*—I think I got scammed; the owner just ran off... It’s incredibly frustrating right now, but I can't just sit around doing nothing. I’ve decided to get back into flipping as a way to get back on my feet. Since I don't have much capital right now, I’ve moved to an area where I can actually afford to enter the market. Scams are truly terrifying. I really hope to meet a lot of good people here. I’m hoping for nothing but good things from here on out. (I wrote this using an English translation.)

3Reply
82 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Celine Lee:

    Hi! Nice to meet you. I'm Celine. I have experience flipping three properties back in LA. At the time, I hadn't been in the U.S. for very long and my English wasn't strong, so I worked with a company that handled the process on my behalf. Since then, I bought a business in Manhattan—but *sigh*—I think I got scammed; the owner just ran off... It’s incredibly frustrating right now, but I can't just sit around doing nothing. I’ve decided to get back into flipping as a way to get back on my feet. Since I don't have much capital right now, I’ve moved to an area where I can actually afford to enter the market. Scams are truly terrifying. I really hope to meet a lot of good people here. I’m hoping for nothing but good things from here on out. (I wrote this using an English translation.)


    You’ve already done more than most people ever do by flipping 3 properties, especially while adjusting to a new country and language. That takes grit. The business situation sounds rough, but the fact that you’re getting back up and moving forward says a lot. This might push you toward a better path. Also, don’t overlook Midwest markets for flipping and rentals. A lot of out-of-state investors are finding better margins, lower entry costs, and less competition there compared to bigger coastal cities, and wishing you a strong comeback story from here.
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Celine Lee:

    Hi! Nice to meet you. I'm Celine. I have experience flipping three properties back in LA. At the time, I hadn't been in the U.S. for very long and my English wasn't strong, so I worked with a company that handled the process on my behalf. Since then, I bought a business in Manhattan—but *sigh*—I think I got scammed; the owner just ran off... It’s incredibly frustrating right now, but I can't just sit around doing nothing. I’ve decided to get back into flipping as a way to get back on my feet. Since I don't have much capital right now, I’ve moved to an area where I can actually afford to enter the market. Scams are truly terrifying. I really hope to meet a lot of good people here. I’m hoping for nothing but good things from here on out. (I wrote this using an English translation.)

    Hi Celine, welcome to BP and thanks for sharing your story. You’ve already done more deals than a lot of people here, so don’t sell yourself short just because you hit some rough patches. Getting burned in a business deal is brutal, especially when you trusted someone, but it sounds like you’re handling it the right way by staying focused and getting back into action instead of giving up. The good thing is you already have experience with flips, contractors, timelines, and the emotional ups and downs that come with real estate, and that experience matters a lot. Since capital is tighter now, I’d probably focus on smaller cosmetic flips or even wholesale-type opportunities while rebuilding your reserves and network. Also, don’t feel bad about using translation tools—your message came across clearly and professionally. BP is a great place to rebuild connections and learn from other investors, and there are a lot of people here who’ve gone through setbacks too. Wishing you a strong comeback and a much better chapter ahead.

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    4mo

    Welcome, Celine. Sorry you had to go through that—that’s a rough experience, especially after putting yourself out there in multiple markets. Sounds like you’ve still got solid experience from your flips in LA though, which is a strong foundation to build from again. I’m open to connecting!

  • Lender · Wichita, KS · Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4mo

    Hi @Celine Lee

    I’m really sorry you’ve had to go through all of that. Real estate can be incredibly tough at times, but the fact that you’re already looking forward and planning your next chapter says a lot about your resilience.

    I work in lending with real estate investors, so I get to hear a lot of stories from people rebuilding after difficult partnerships, projects, or market shifts. One thing I’ve noticed is that many of the strongest investors have gone through a season exactly like this before finding their stride again.

    It sounds like you’ve learned a lot, and honestly that experience is valuable going forward. Wishing you the best as you get back into flipping and investing again. I’d genuinely enjoy following your journey here in the forums. Feel free to reach out I'd love to connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.