Developer · Dover, MA · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
Hi- I'm a real estate developer in the Boston area and I have my GC license and I'm also a realtor. I find my deals to either tear down and build new or gut renovate in the luxury market with ARV's being in the $2 and $3 million. I recently tired to scale my business and bought 3 projects within a year of each other and I managed the work quite nicely, but cash flow issues slowed me down tremendously. I've been thinking a lot about scaling the business and the one solution I'm leaning towards is to find a JV investor, but haven't had any luck finding the right person(s). I'm excited to see what I can learn here to scale my builds from 1-2 per year to 5-6 per year, which would require quite a bit of capital. The work load I have figured out, but the money part I haven't yet. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Hossein, based on what you described, it sounds like the bigger bottleneck isn’t your ability to find or manage projects — it’s having enough working capital available while multiple builds are moving at the same time.
Before giving up equity to a JV partner, I’d look at building a layered funding strategy around the business. That could include business lines of credit for recurring project expenses, 0% APR business credit cards for 9–12 months for eligible short-term expenses, equipment financing where applicable, and other business funding options based on the company’s revenue and overall profile.
The key is matching the funding to the use of funds. I wouldn’t use short-term capital to carry a long development cycle without a clear exit, but having revolving capital available for deposits, materials, subcontractors, permits, and unexpected overruns can keep one project from draining the cash needed to move the next one forward.
With the project volume and ARVs you’re already working with, I’d focus on creating a capital stack that lets you preserve liquidity and scale from 1–2 projects to 5–6 without automatically giving away ownership on every deal.
Hossein, based on what you described, it sounds like the bigger bottleneck isn’t your ability to find or manage projects — it’s having enough working capital available while multiple builds are moving at the same time.
Before giving up equity to a JV partner, I’d look at building a layered funding strategy around the business. That could include business lines of credit for recurring project expenses, 0% APR business credit cards for 9–12 months for eligible short-term expenses, equipment financing where applicable, and other business funding options based on the company’s revenue and overall profile.
The key is matching the funding to the use of funds. I wouldn’t use short-term capital to carry a long development cycle without a clear exit, but having revolving capital available for deposits, materials, subcontractors, permits, and unexpected overruns can keep one project from draining the cash needed to move the next one forward.
With the project volume and ARVs you’re already working with, I’d focus on creating a capital stack that lets you preserve liquidity and scale from 1–2 projects to 5–6 without automatically giving away ownership on every deal.
Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1mo
You need Mezz debt per project. These lenders are all over the place. If you have enough personal wealth, experience, and the projects pencil or some combination of those factors a HML will provide working Capital.
Developer · Dover, MA · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
1mo
Nicholas- I appreciate your comment and I did utilize someone of things you highlighted. I used 0% 6 month business credit cards and a Heloc on rentals I own but it came to a point that servicing all 3 loans (multimillion dollars) and my heloc, it drained all cash, to a point that I had to prioritize each project and let one sit. I do some small GC work on the side to pay for overhead expenses but not enough to increase cash flow.
That makes sense, and it sounds like the real issue wasn’t access to capital, it was the debt service stacking up faster than the projects could generate liquidity. Once multiple loans, the HELOC, and carrying costs are all hitting at the same time, even a profitable project can create a serious cash-flow squeeze.
At that point, I’d be looking less at adding more short-term debt and more at whether any of the existing obligations can be refinanced, consolidated, extended, or restructured to lower the monthly burn. Then any new business funding should be used very selectively, ideally for something that directly helps complete or monetize a project rather than just covering ongoing debt service.
If you want, I’d be happy to take a look at the overall structure with you and see if there’s a cleaner way to approach the capital side.
Developer · Dover, MA · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
1mo
Matthew- yes I used my heloc as a mezz debt behind my 2 commercial lender and one hard money lender. Issue came servicing all of these debts especially when the projects were towards the end and the construction loans were fully drawn and nothing sold yet. Here in Boston, the luxury market is very quiet and it took 6 months for one of the projects to sell, compounding the problem.
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1mo
You need to raise LP equity, but it is important to raise enough to cover both the equity required at each loan closing and the operating needs of the business, with sufficient contingencies for delays and cost overruns. Raising capital separately for every project can be difficult and tedious, particularly when the entire business model depends on completing and selling properties before the capital can be redeployed but is likely the avenue that makes most sense for your business model.
Ideally, the equity investor should be compensated based on the actual performance of the real estate rather than solely through accruing interest or a guaranteed rate of return. The counter argument of course is the developer can generate more revenue controlling the upside but understanding accruing preferred returns or interest can bury a developer when projects are delayed or underperform because the obligation continues growing even when the project is not producing cash.
It is also important to clarify what you need is true equity, not mezzanine debt. Mezzanine financing is considerably more complicated, requires an intercreditor agreement with the senior lender, and is generally reserved for larger and more sophisticated transactions. Structuring the equity in a way that is approvable by the senior lender between the terms, and who is responsible for the PG are both important considerations and need to be papered correctly. Also, from a compliance perspective you need to decide if this is going to be a 506(c) or 506(b) capital raise. I suspect 506(b) makes most sense but that depends on the network of investors you have at your disposal. I assist developers and investors arrange structures and assist with SEC exemptions if assistance is needed.
Developer · Dover, MA · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 4 votes
1mo
Stuart- I think you hit the nail on the head. I was thinking along the same line with JV but perhaps scaling to multiple projects, a LP may be more suited. Now the challenge is to find the right partner that has aligned goals, duration and risk tolerance. Do you have recommendations how to build leads and relationships in the sphere?
On a side note, I will have to educate myself in the 506 capital raise as I'm not too well versed in it.
Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1mo
The most likely early investors are people already within your network. It sounds like you have an established track record and can demonstrate proof of concept, both of which are important. However, particularly at the beginning, it is generally easier to raise capital from people who already know and trust you because you are primarily pitching the real estate opportunity rather than having to sell them on both the investment and your capabilities. This approach would also allow you to rely on a Rule 506(b) exemption.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1mo
Hossien, since you’re already doing 1–2 projects a year and have your GC license plus brokerage experience, the next bottleneck probably isn’t deal knowledge, it’s capital structure, project selection, and protecting yourself from execution risk as volume increases.
The three-project year you just went through is a good signal. Scaling from 1–2 projects to 5–6 isn’t just “do more of the same.” You need more working capital, tighter construction controls, clearer project-level reporting, and enough liquidity that one slow sale or cost overrun doesn’t affect the rest of the pipeline.
On the JV side, I'd be very deliberate about how you structure the relationship. If you bring the deals, GC capability, execution, and brokerage knowledge while the investor brings capital, the agreement should clearly address preferred return, ownership split, capital calls, guarantees, management/development fees, refinance or sale proceeds, and what happens if a project takes longer than expected.
From the tax side, development-for-sale is generally active business income, so I’d also review whether your operating/development business should be taxed as an S-Corp if the profits are consistent enough to justify it. And if you’re also keeping some projects as rentals, I’d keep those in separate LLCs from the development operation. The rental side can create depreciation and potentially cost-seg losses that, depending on your participation and tax situation, can sometimes help offset active development income.
At your stage, the goal is probably not just finding more money. It’s finding a capital partner whose expectations, time horizon, and risk tolerance actually fit the way you develop.
Feel free to DM me, I'd be happy to send over a few resources that might help as you think through the JV and tax structure.
Lender · Licensed in 28 States · Member since 2026 · 158 posts · 44 votes
4w
@Hossein Bayat It sounds like you have the experience and systems to scale, with capital being the main piece of the puzzle. Before giving up equity to a JV partner, it may be worth exploring financing options that can help fund your next projects. If you're open to it, feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to discuss lending options for your luxury builds.
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 479 posts · 177 votes
2d
Quote from @Hossein Bayat:
Hi- I'm a real estate developer in the Boston area and I have my GC license and I'm also a realtor. I find my deals to either tear down and build new or gut renovate in the luxury market with ARV's being in the $2 and $3 million. I recently tired to scale my business and bought 3 projects within a year of each other and I managed the work quite nicely, but cash flow issues slowed me down tremendously. I've been thinking a lot about scaling the business and the one solution I'm leaning towards is to find a JV investor, but haven't had any luck finding the right person(s). I'm excited to see what I can learn here to scale my builds from 1-2 per year to 5-6 per year, which would require quite a bit of capital. The work load I have figured out, but the money part I haven't yet. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
@Hossein Bayat, I think your point about finding someone with the same goals, timeline, and risk tolerance is just as important as finding the capital itself. If I were bringing someone into multiple projects, I’d want to know how we make decisions together when things don’t go as planned, not just how we split the upside when everything goes well.
I’ve worked with business owners and real estate investors where the relationship looked great at the beginning, but the real questions came later when more money was needed, a timeline changed, or the parties no longer agreed on the next move. Those situations are why I like having the difficult conversations early and making sure the agreement reflects how the relationship is actually supposed to work.
You clearly already know how to find, build, and manage these projects, @Hossein Bayat. The challenge you’re describing now is a different stage of the business, and it overlaps quite a bit with the real estate and business work I do as an attorney and investor in Maryland. I enjoyed reading the discussion and would be happy to stay connected as you work through this next stage.